Kenya '79

graynomad

I'm a bit premature here as I haven't got a single word written down, but I will get hold of my magazine article soon and transcribe that...honest.

Meanwhile I've uploaded 86 photos from the trip into a gallery

http://safaritalk.net/gallery/member/18541-graynomad/

Not great-quality pics by today's standards, I had pretty ordinary gear in those days and the gallery blurb explains other issues with the slides.

Lovely lot of snow on Kili. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

So true, twaffle. Very striking, the snow pack on Kili. 35 years later so different. Liked the silhouetted warthog too - not too many of those usually. Were you an aspiring photog at the time, GN, or already a pro? I think you're going to be quite taken aback by the new generation of safari tents you will be sure to see on your next trip :D

Working photographer but aspiring wildlife photographer, bought my first camera (Practika Super TL) in Panama in '72, started working in the photo trade (as a darkroom operator) later that year.

At the time (late '78) I had just signed with Globe photos in New York. They were the largest stock photography agency of the day. Now that I think about it many of my best shots went to them.

I had good cameras (Canon F1s) but pretty ordinary lenses.

Yes tents have changed in that time, I now use one that weighs just 1.6kgs and almost fits in my pocket :)

We had a ball, just got off the plane, hired a car, bought some corned beef and headed off into the bush. Oh to be 25 again. Of course I met the future Mrs Graynomad there as well, that was an added bonus (that's her in a couple of the pics).

Worth sharing. There's some nice shots amongst that lot & I can imagine the fun and adventures you had.

Gallery link as trip report. Clever and concise concept! I can imagine you angst when the slide collection fell off the trip. I suppose that is one of the hazards of being a nomad. The row of hyraxes is unique.

Gallery link as trip report. Clever and concise concept!

Yes, I'm hoping that by the time I get my material to write a real report GW has forgotten all about it :)

I can imagine you angst when the slide collection fell off the trip.

It was a disaster, but funnily enough at the time I didn't care that much because I was well into electronics by then and hadn't done any real photography for years, in fact saw that as being in a past life. Now I really wish I had the lost pics.

We were moving house at the time, so only nomadic for a day or two unlike now.

Edited by graynomad