US birding update in the California desert

marg

Just an update on what we have been seeing here in the middle of nowhere. Several weeks ago a bobcat came through our yard with a Mourning Dove in it's mouth. The bird got away. Last week the Great-tailed Grackles returned for the season. A pair of Red-tailed Hawks have been soaring searching trees for a proper nest site. Then, yesterday morning we had a Snowy Egret on our roof. The hawks and the egrets are year-round residents.

post-17651-0-06089000-1362958146_thumb.jpg

SafariChick

Cool! Where in California do you live? I wish I had all that in my backyard and roof!

Edited by SafariChick

in the Palm Springs area....are you close?

SafariChick

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, near Palo Alto where Stanford is. I visited Palm Springs for the first time last Fall, but was just with friends having a girls' weekend at a hotel and in town. Would be nice to see the area where it sounds like you live.

You hardly need to go to Africa! :P

Game Warden

San Francisco? We'll have to have a GTG at Haight Ashbury :)

SafariChick

San Francisco? We'll have to have a GTG at Haight Ashbury :)

Sure, I'm up for that any time. There's a Ben & Jerry's ice cream at that corner now that charges exorbitant rates for a cone. But there's also a dive bar across the street that for some reason serves the most phenomenal homemade pizza!

The bird watching here is good practice for Africa! SC let me know if you come this way again. Cherry Garcia sounds good as well.

We had a nice earthquake here this morning..4.7. Lots of shaking but nothing that I could find fell over.

SafariChick

I heard about the earthquake @@marg - glad you did not have any ill effects.

I started this and then tried to delete it...so here I go again. Three years ago we had a red tail hawk nest out on the golf course. I spent many an afternoon out there with my camera just sitting and watching. Here are a couple of photos....parent in the next, parent unhappy with me and two juveniles in the nest.

post-17651-0-58538100-1363043510_thumb.jpg

post-17651-0-91277100-1363043565_thumb.jpg

post-17651-0-57551800-1363043629_thumb.jpg

Okay...a few more images: Green Heron, Vermilion Flycatcher and Greater Roadrunner

post-17651-0-02209300-1363646137_thumb.jpg

post-17651-0-91589600-1363646184_thumb.jpg

post-17651-0-26845700-1363646236_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

Meep meep...

Love the roadrunner :)

Yes, they are rather prehistoric in appearance and scavangers that like the bugs, lizards and other small critters. Once in a while they play peek a-boo/stalking with out cat with the window in between. We see them daily.

yesterday afternoon....an American Kestrel. They are also called sparrow hawks but a member of the falcon family. The call is wee, wee, wee and you usually hear one before you see it.

post-17651-0-10951800-1364153611_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

the latest update: in our next door neighbors' palm is this Costa's Hummingbird nest. Two eggs hatched yesterday morning. The little black dots in the bottom of the nest are so small and I have been unable to get close enough to photo without upsetting the mother.

post-17651-0-28594900-1366650380_thumb.jpg

Beautiful birds to have in your neigbourhood. I especially love the roadrunner, reminds me of the cartoon :) Though it looks much prettier. Does it really 'beep beep' as he runs?

I think that the beep beeps or meep meeps are only in the cartoons. We hear more cluck-like sounds.

Perhaps you only hear the meep meep when a Wiley Coyote is giving chase....

Edited by Pangolin

We do have coyotes here. But, they hunt primarily cats, dogs, cottontails and jack rabbits. So, still no meep meeps...but I will jeep listening.

one week later and two hungry mouths to feed.....

post-17651-0-32967300-1367263404_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

Thanks for the update @@marg keep them coming. Love hummingbirds.

will try...if only birds would stay still!

now two weeks old....

post-17651-0-55857200-1367885032_thumb.jpg