_1035547_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

A female orange tip, perched if that is the right word, on a bluebell

_1091266_DxO.jpg

melproffit

Teanaway WA 2011

DSCN1228.JPG

Towlersonsafari

We went on a walk organised by the local Butterfly conservation group-we are members-of the national charity, and had a splendid time-nothing like having experts to point out what you would have missed!

These first 2 were cheatin as they were moths caught in a trap (but not held back for all you fine young cannables) A Buff-Tip moth and a Poplar Hawk Moth

_1092481_DxO.jpg

_1092490_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

Then a butterfly I have wanted to see for a while-well ever since i learned of its exsistance last year-The Green Hairstreak a small butterfly that has a liking for resting on hawthorn and some species of ant respond to the pupae and take them to their colanies for overwintering protected by the ants!

Then another I have never seen-another small butterfly called the Dingy Skipper  and then another moth the Burnet Companion Moth

_1092525_DxO.jpg

_1092576_DxO.jpg

_1092618_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

Yesterday we took the 2 hour drive to Strumpshaw Fen, on a lovely warm sunny day and as well as the taret species, saw 2 Marsh Harrier food passes, a close up bittern fly-past and even a brief Cetti's warbler, but the reason for the trip was the Swallowtail buterfly, UK's largest and  very fast flying and frankly it just does not look likeit should be in the uk at all

We also saw , amongst others a Brimstone demonstarting why it is that colour.A spendid trip

_1093007_DxO.jpg

_1092898_DxO.jpg

_1092946_DxO.jpg

kittykat23uk

Aww @Towlersonsafari if only  you'd been there today we could have met up! :( altalthough you may have bumped into my friend Eric, who was there yesterday! 

Towlersonsafari

Ha! I did wonder if I was sneaking into your territory!  @kittykat23uk it was The first time we have been there and a beautiful  place

kittykat23uk

@Towlersonsafari next time maybe!  

Towlersonsafari

That would be very jolly @kittykat23uk

Caracal

Lovely photos @Towlersonsafari and I see what you mean about the Swallowtail - looks showy and tropical. The Green Hairstreak has such delicate colouring. Interesting to see such a diversity of species.

The other day I was reading an article about butterflies in a Gardens for Wildlife Programme and I'm still trying to get my head around the following:-

"Butterflies have taste buds on their feet, so if they land on surfaces infected with insecticide or toxic substances it causes instant death."

Never knew that and "taste buds on feet?" seems a conundrum to me!

melproffit

Costa Rica 2016

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

kittykat23uk

Swallowtails at Strumpshaw fen,  Norfolk. 

P6020264 Swallowtail Butterfly

P6020189 Swallowtail Butterfly

And Raja Brooke's Birdwing from Borneo:

P3294891 Rajah Brooke's Birdwing (Trogonoptera brookiana)

offshorebirder

@kittykat23uk - Raja Brooke's Birdwing is a stunner!

Towlersonsafari

thanks very much @Caracal taste buds in feet? that is a strange concept

Towlersonsafari

We were on holiday in the Morvern peninsula last week and saw, amongst other things this-the Chequered Skipper, found on the West Coast of Scotland but extinct in England save for a re-introduction scheme in Northamptonshire

_1093178_DxO.jpg

_1093109_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

And this-the  Pearl Bordered Fritillary, not to be confused with the same sized small Pearl Bordered Fritillary-apparently you can tell them apart because

It can be distinguished from the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary by the two large silver 'pearls' and row of seven outer 'pearls' on the underside hind wing, and also the red (as opposed to black) chevrons around the outer pearls and the small central spot on the hind wing.

To make things more fun , if the ones we saw are anything to go by, they are very sy at showing you their underside hind wing!

_1114451_DxO.jpg

_1114468_DxO.jpg

Edited by Towlersonsafari
spelling