Best place to see a Pel's fishing owl?

Game Warden

Have you seen one on safari? If so, where, when? Are there places known for regular sightings? Is seeing a Pel's high on your birding wishlist?

I'm pretty sure you won't see one in Meru! :)

I've seen a Pel's in South Luangwa on two occasions. First time in Nov 2010, and then in Nov 2012.

Nov 2012

PelsFishingOwl.jpg

@@twaffle It reported there was one on the river beside the Offbeat Meru camp, not that we saw it alas...

I'm sure that seeing a Pel's fishing owl is high on almost everyone's list of dream birds that they've never seen before. I've been to SLNP twice and still haven't seen one. However, I'll be visiting there again.

Saw a couple in Botswana, in Moremi, when visiting Mombo. Very good sightings, we were on foot, standing below his tree. Amazing birds.

Towlersonsafari

We saw one on a walk at kanana camp, and like others saw first an adult and then a juvenile on a night drive whilst staying at Shenton safari's in SLNP-in the ebony grove forest in 2008-the guide knew we were keen if rubbish birders and we went to look for them-and heard one call-too excited for any decent photo's!

We saw one in 2011 on almost every night drive when we were staying in South Luangwa at (I think) Kuyenda Camp.

We also saw one also in S. Luangwa on a walk in 2013 out of Tafika Camp. He had a fish and was being dive bombed by an immature Martial eagle. I took a photo although it is not very good:

post-18678-0-04455800-1393306060_thumb.jpg

armchair bushman

Seeing a Pel's Fishing Owl is at the absolute top of my birding wishlist.

In Kenya, I understand that the Tana River is the only area with semi-reliable sightings, so it makes sense that there's a chance in Meru. I'm guessing the sightings are more reliable as you head further south towards Hola and the Delta. One day, I'll do it.

armchair bushman

Oh wow. yes I see that now. I'd "liked" that page a long time ago, but their posts seem not to show up on my newsfeed any more.

Beautiful.

It looks like South Luangwa is definitely a good place to see Perl´s Fishing Owls ( at list for " safaritalkers" ). We where also lucky to see one juvenile during our stay at Kaingo . The only one in several trips .

I remember my guide Patrick said they get to see them quite often ! I also remember how he appreciated my excitement , he said so many people look at them and do not even paye attention , just another bird they say ??

It was nice how we where right under the branch looking at him and he was also looking at us peacefully !!

post-6771-0-98835200-1393349339_thumb.jpg

Paco

Saw one in the Okavango at night- cannot find the picture with the red spotlight.

Here is one with Verreaux's Eagle Owl, quite similar in size to the Perl's Fishing Owl and an avian apex predator, here with a decapitated rabbit.

IMG_1600.JPG

Mara Triangle, 2010

• 2 weeks later...

Pel's Fishing Owl was certainly a highlight for me. I've seen a few now, but the best place has always been the lodges in the pan handle of the delta.

It has been years since I've last seen one. Hoping to get one in the Caprivi this year.

Kingfisher Safaris

Xigera Camp in the Okavango is a well known place to see Pel's. I was there in April 2013 and didn't get a clear view but it was there and other guests saw it, I just saw some flapping as it flew away every time I tried to get a photo.

Xaro lodge in the Okavango panhandle. Magnificent place and one can hear them all night long!

• 4 weeks later...

Mombo camp in Okavango Delta. i saw them 3x. once at night when i took a pix but it was bad lighting and bad angle. second time was when i was tracking a noisy bird outside my tent and saw it on a tree above my tent, but by the time i got my camera and came out, it was gone. but it was third time lucky when i saw a juvenile outside one of the other mombo tents during late morning hour. beautiful owls. :)

will look out for them in SLNP!

• 1 month later...

I can also vouch for Pels in South Luangwa - both at Kaingo and at Mfuwe. Also quite numerous but not often seen on the Lufupa River in Kafue NP. Tanzania on Pangani River.

I have seen Pels Fishing Owls in the Okavango. On a canoe trip from Ker & Downey's Kanana camp. The sighting has been pretty regular.

Shakawe in the Okavango pan handle - there's a couple, including possibly a sub-adult, in the trees on the bank on the same side as the military base. Two sightings on different days in April 2014

Here's the beauty

post-17725-0-37727200-1400827424_thumb.jpg

Pel's Fishing Owl (Scotopelia peli) - viewed from beneath the trees

Sighted from -18.36083 21.84678 (18°21'39.0"S 021°50'48.4"E)

26 April 2014 12:08pm

2D4_3910 cropped

Nikon D4 + Nikkor 300/2.8 VR2

1/800sec f/4 300mm ISO 1600 EV+1.7

Delta Belle Houseboat, Okavango Delta Panhandle, Botswana

-18.34317 21.83603 (18°20'35.4"S 021°50'09.7"E)