Predator & Prey

Vikram Sathyanathan

Vikram Sathyanathan

Making images of the African Leopard (Panthera pardus pardus) has always been special to me, especially due to its elusive character. Having made several rounds of safaris at the Samburu Game Reserve in Kenya, I was hoping to spot a Leopard and was waiting for the opportunity to make an uncommon or a very different kind of an image of the leopard in its habitat. I wanted an image to reflect the habitat of Samburu showcasing the leopard in it. On a largely uneventful safari, a herd of Imapalas (Aepyceros melampus melampus) were standing still staring at our vehicle. While I started to make a few images, there was a sudden flight of Impalas as a Leopard walked into the foreground amidst the tall dry grass. I noticed one Impala unmoved and still, as the leopard walked in front I sensed it to the right moment to make this image that exposé of the Samburu habitat, prey and the predator.

post-47446-0-28903200-1399116681_thumb.jpg

A special moment; you can feel the tension in that male impala. :)

Welcome to Safaritalk.

Atravelynn

What a way to join the forum! Welcome @Vikram Sathyanatha. You will find many leopard enthusiasts here. Madaboutcheetah (above) and I lean towards another solo cat, as you can guess. But leopards are always a pleasant surprise when in the bush. Samburu is a good spot for leopards and you took advantage.

graceland

What a great shot...I enjoy all cats so post away!

...and welcome!

Kitsafari

Great catch of the tense silent impala watching the predator which seemed indifferent to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Morkel Erasmus

Nice one!