Brazil 2014: Pantanal Wonderland

TonyQ

@@TonyQ : Somehow I have managed to completely miss this great trip report of yours... Now lots to catch-up, still on post #58... Absolutely fabulous trip, narrative and photography! So many great photos, I am not able to point out all of them... Love the giant Anteater and the Armadillo, the photo of the flying Black Skimmer with the reflection in post #58 is great, the Cayman photo below is crystal clear, the Roseate Spoonbill is beautiful, the Puma sighting is another highlight... Need time to get to page 10, thanks for sharing this with us!

Edited by FlyTraveler

@Bush dog

Thank you (I hope you had a good trip!)

@@Atravelynn

Thank you

The first afternoon looking for tapir we waited about 2 hours or so but it did not come. We had a brief glimpse of one on the night drive.

On the second afternoon, we were about 5 minutes out of the lodge on the way to the hide when we saw the Tapir in the water.

The coati –we saw at the side of the road on the way to the bar (we were on the way to the bar but I am not sure the coati was :) )

Thank you for your kind comments

@@graceland

Thank you. Seeing the Tapir so unexpectedly and so clearly - it was a great experience.

We did love the Pantanal.

@@FlyTraveler

Thank you - I am glad you have enjoyed it. (I know you have been busy in visiting Ruaha and then writing your wonderful report!)

Edited by TonyQ

2 hours one day without success, 5 minutes and bingo the next -- that's the unpredictability of the bush or in your case the unpredictability of the "flooded grassland savanna." I think those coatis are teetotalers. You could not have wished for much more overall on this trip!

• 3 weeks later...

I returned to your report to check out your possible Cattle Tyrants because I have a mystery bird as well that might be a Cattle Tyrant. I think yours are CTs but not sure on mine. There are no CTs in my Peru bird book. Scrolling through, in search of the CT, I am again impressed at the variety of everything you saw. For example, I missed the Red-footed tortoise and tiny Southern Screamer chick before. If you count your species and divide by hours (or pounds/reals/dollars) it would set an unbeatable benchmark! Sorry, that's the accountant in me talking.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

Thank you. As you know, I am not a reliable identifier of birds!

We were amazed by the variety that we saw on our trip, and by the quality of many of the sightings. It is a great destination!

• 6 months later...

@@TonyQ , I'm slowly making my way through some "older" trip reports, and what a lovely read this has been tonight. From the "words fail me" spectacle of the Jaguar, to the pile of snail shells, your beautiful photos, musings, and of course very informative report has been a real treat. Thank you.

@@elefromoz

Thank you - I am pleased you enjoyed it (It was fun writing it as well!)

douglaswise

@@TonyQ,

Thanks to your report and those of @@Bush dog and @Anntravelynn, I have just booked a 13 night stay at Barranco Alto in late May/early June 2016. It will be a combined wildlife/fly fishing trip - all on the single property.

• 3 years later...

I was being persuaded by the site, time and again......

768038280_ScreenShot2018-09-09at09_48_50.png.cc65b41eed352748b3e45cec1ef49867.png

......But not to comment would be a cardinal sin.

What a fantastic trip report. I felt i was travelling along. Definitely would have to visit, in spite of the looooong flight durations. I have been to Brazil 3 times when i was working, but have not done any sight seeing at all, leave alone such coveted excursions.

Your writing and the quality of the photographs is very good. Thank you for taking time out and sharing.

This one was good:

My own equine experience was a donkey-ride on Cleethorpes beach aged 6, and watching a John Wayne film aged 11

:D

• 6 months later...
On 9/28/2014 at 11:13 AM, TonyQ said:

There were certainly a lot of very serious lenses and cameras when we were in the north looking for jaguars and I am sure they will get better pictures. I think it is always a balance - I like to watch wildlife and hope to take some nice pictures to remind me of that - but I don't want to spend a fortune on equipment and I also don't want to carry the weight that comes with some of it. I am happy to carry mine when walking (e.g on a walking safari last year in Zambia) and I am happy to accept its limitations. However, I also love to see the work of many excellent photographers on Safaritalk!

This might be an older TR, but I just got to read it in preparation for what I hope it will be a 2020 trip. This was very helpful, as this is my style too, and my lens is a 300mm f5.6. Good enough for me, although for birds I would always want more :-)

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos, loved them.

• 7 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, xyz99 said:

This might be an older TR, but I just got to read it in preparation for what I hope it will be a 2020 trip. This was very helpful, as this is my style too, and my lens is a 300mm f5.6. Good enough for me, although for birds I would always want more :-)

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos, loved them.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic trip report TonyQ. Pantanal seems to be such a paradise for wildlife ! I am contemplating Pantanal as one of my possible destinations in 2020, therefore your impressions and photos are very helpful and inspirational. Thank you so much.

shouldbewriting

Wonderful report, just what I was looking for. Thinking about this for 2020. Many thanks!