Game Warden

Show us your small antelope species.

Caracal

Bravo to you and Julia for the rescue, successful rearing and the release. Hopefully the duiker will make a success of her return to the wild. I wonder if she'll stay close by or wander further off.

Wishing you all at KaingU an excellent safari season.

Tom Kellie

594175247d127_KirksDik-dik.thumb.JPG.fe6821b4e0ee948d37919174ff62df4d.JPG

Kirk's Dik-dik

Photographed at 5:52 pm on 1 October, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 400, 1/2000 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Shutter Priority exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

The alertness of this male Madoqua kirkii, Kirk's Dik-dik is reasonable. Not far off, browsing in bushes was a young Reticulated Giraffe, gradually moving towards the dik-dik's location.

What's not shown in the image is that a lion pride was resting in shade less than 100 meters away, including several cubs. A dik-dik's life is never easy in Samburu.

johnweir

DAMARA DIK-DIK. Madoqua damarensis.

Male.

Image taken late afternoon (15.50) at Okonjima Wildlife Reserve, Namibia. July 2017. Female was also in the area.

400mm, ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/320. Very slight crop.

5U4A8562.jpg

johnweir

UPDATE ON POST #46 (22/12/2016).

In light of a recently published paper (de Jong & Butynski 2017), I am fairly sure that my image titled Cavendish's Dik-dik is incorrectly identified.

It is almost certainly of HINDE'S DIK-DIK, Madoqua hindei, previously (as with Cavendish's Dik-dik) considered a subspecies of M. kirkii.

Apologies for any confusion caused. 

The_Norwegian

Damara dik-dik from Erindi private game reserve, Namibia. 

_ASW1769[1].jpg

Game Warden

I think there have been a few pics in recent trip reports that deserve to be in this thread... so. Get posting :)

Tom Kellie

329925713_UprightQuiff.JPG.6709614d2773753087d6fabc027da9dc.JPG

Upright Quiff

~ Photographed with a Canon EOS 1D X camera mounted with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens, hand-held, Manual shooting mode.

In Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, on 28 April, 2014 at 5:54 pm, ISO 200, f/4, 1/80 sec.

Delicate and agile don't mean unwary. The alertness conveyed by dik-dik eyes is impressive.

Tom Kellie

596302489_ExquisitelySpecialized.JPG.2e6a7485c8e382a7a11a23b124acb489.JPG

Exquisitely Specialized

~ Photographed with a Canon EOS 1D X camera mounted with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens, hand-held, Shutter Priority shooting mode.

In Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, on 3 October, 2014 at 11:22 pm, ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/2000 sec.

A Dik-dik's outline reflects specialized adaptation to the exigencies of their life. I'm impressed every time that I see them.

Peter Connan

Magnificent photo @Tom Kellie! So much texture.

Edited by Peter Connan