Kitsafari

You had an impressive outing at Nairobi National Park, Kitsafari. So many rhinos, I thought maybe you had detoured to Laikipia after all.

Those little and even littler lion cubs are adorable. They look so obedient following their mom. I see you snuck in one of your sepias Graceland!

Your back and forth posts are hilarious, like a scripted sitcom! That gives me a good idea of the fun you all had together.

Gorgeous sunrises!

I was right, it was the luggage. I DID NOT PEEK, I swear. I like the purple bag best! I assume all of your Lipaults are currently packed and waiting for the next opportunity.

@@Atravelynn, The Lipaults came about as I had purchased one a few years back and manage to take it as carry-on quite well. I was a bit pushy :P in trying to get the Ladies away from "checked" baggage to "carry-on" (as none of us carry professional type cameras!) and they did beautifully!!

@@SafariChick chose the purple - lovely. I am a bland grey type. :rolleyes: I wanted orange but grey was on sale!

I don't work for Lipault, but highly recommend the bag.

You had an impressive outing at Nairobi National Park, Kitsafari. So many rhinos, I thought maybe you had detoured to Laikipia after all.

Those little and even littler lion cubs are adorable. They look so obedient following their mom. I see you snuck in one of your sepias Graceland!

Your back and forth posts are hilarious, like a scripted sitcom! That gives me a good idea of the fun you all had together.

Gorgeous sunrises!

Yep, sunrises are my new sunsets :D Nothing like going out in the dark and see an African sunrise.

I love certain animals in sepia...just appeals to me in particular settings.

The posts did work out well didn't they. @@SafariChick and @@Kitsafari were quite meticulous in their notes and photos creating the flow...I was my usual self; here, there and everywhere!

Works for me; my brain is wired to take a moment at a time. I did warn them though :D Actually it was a very amiable, fun, Action Packed adventure in the Mara, notwithstanding Kitsafari becoming ill, and my passport incident.

I am so happy I joined the Ladies. I have never seen so many Cats and Cubs at one time. Serian was as special as ever; Mara Plains a delightful surprise.

My bag is used only for safaris....yes,it is packed....where to next??? :wacko:

Edited by graceland

My bag is used only for safaris....yes,it is packed....where to next??? :wacko:

~ @graceland:

Somewhere both known, yet also unexpected.

Methinks that your next safari will be fun to read about, and may have an increased coverage of birds and sunrises.

May your grey Lipault be stowed away in an aircraft sooner than you expect!

Tom K.

I was right, it was the luggage. I DID NOT PEEK, I swear. I like the purple bag best! I assume all of your Lipaults are currently packed and waiting for the next opportunity.

I like the purple too, an attractive standout. I wanted to get a turquoise but my OH would have protested greatly.

I was thrilled to see all those rhinos in NNP! I really didn't expect to see them during this trip,so in the end, it was .a blessing in disguise that Singapore airlines cancelled my original scheduled flight! !

SafariChick

Purple is my favorite color so I was very excited to see that the Lipault came in purple once I'd decided to get one!

I was thrilled to see all those rhinos in NNP! I really didn't expect to see them during this trip,so in the end, it was .a blessing in disguise that Singapore airlines cancelled my original scheduled flight! !

~ @Kitsafari:

Your enthusiasm for the Nairobi National Park rhinos is infectious.

Fifteen days from now I'll be following in the footsteps of you and other Safaritalk members who've enjoyed the Emakoko's hospitality.

Were I to see a rhino there, that would be a delightful close to the next safari.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie the countdown begins and I'm both envious and excited for you! i'm sure you will get to see a lot of rhinos there, as well as all the plains game.

and if your guide is James, please say hello to him, and of course to Anton.

@@Tom Kellie the countdown begins and I'm both envious and excited for you! i'm sure you will get to see a lot of rhinos there, as well as all the plains game.

and if your guide is James, please say hello to him, and of course to Anton.

~ @Kitsafari:

Thank you!

I'll be delighted to pass on your greetings.

This will be the 8th safari in Kenya, and the 5th within a one year timespan.

Is it possible that somehow I've contracted the ‘safari bug’?

The Lipault Ladies fine report wasn't much of a cure...it intensified the yearning to be back in Kenya!

I've already started the pre-safari preparations — almost a ritual. Cleaning lenses, setting items out so as not to forget them.

Tom K.

A few more Mara Magic Moments -

I would stop James (many times!) to take a shot of a tree or the sky; I became known as tree shooter.

I'm sure you all acquired nicknames--maybe numerous--by the end of the trip. I went on safari once with a painter who liked to photograph interesting, artistic trees to paint when she got home. Our guide got very good at locating them and would call out "Artistic Tree" with as much enthusiasm as when he saw a lion or leopard.

That's good you were all able to carry on your Lipaults. Sometimes that carry-on is wrested from one's grasp at the boarding gate with the promise that it will be safely checked and on the luggage carrier at the destination. I've had to frantically repack, grabbing camera gear and drugs, at the last minute because even though my carryon fit the size limits, suddenly no more carryons were allowed. I think the later you board, based on the group number on the boarding pass, the more likely this is to happen. But maybe there is an unspoken rule for Lipaults. Lipaults are always welcome in the overhead bins! One more reason to go out and get one--in purple.

I see @@Kitsafari is showing off her sepia skills too! A leopard cub is the place to do it.

Your reference to passport issues and illness makes me nervous.

I see you had the obligatory tire change. It's not a proper safari without one.

Those descriptions of "pregnant with game" and "dripping" with cats, ridiculous #s of cheetah are backed up by photographic proof! You even saw the newborn wilde followed by the drama of the first steps, so crucial to survival! I think that was a rarer sighting in the Mara than it would be in Ndutu at that time. Nice going!

Did you get the sense that your experience in 6 days was typical or that you were lucky?

"I think early February is a perfect month to go to Mara than go during the migration season, unless you want to see more wildebeests and more killings." At the risk of asking a crass question, what month do you believe are there more killings? Certainly can't argue with going in Feb, based on what you saw!

I am sure James had an enjoyable time while "earning his pay." He certainly had a vehicle full of enthusiasm. And lots of laughs I'm sure.

Oh dear, @@Kitsafari! Never fun to be ill, but especially not on safari. Good to see you recovered.

I like the details on which tent and walking back at night and safeguarding the ankles. That should especially appeal to @@Girlsnstilettos. I assume you leave the stilettos out of the carryon? Or do you wear them around your neck like I've been known to do with my binocs? Whatever it takes to bring the important items onto the aircraft, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Atravelynn

Those descriptions of "pregnant with game" and "dripping" with cats, ridiculous #s of cheetah are backed up by photographic proof! You even saw the newborn wilde followed by the drama of the first steps, so crucial to survival! I think that was a rarer sighting in the Mara than it would be in Ndutu at that time. Nice going!

Did you get the sense that your experience in 6 days was typical or that you were lucky?

"I think early February is a perfect month to go to Mara than go during the migration season, unless you want to see more wildebeests and more killings." At the risk of asking a crass question, what month do you believe are there more killings? Certainly can't argue with going in Feb, based on what you saw!

I am sure James had an enjoyable time while "earning his pay." He certainly had a vehicle full of enthusiasm. And lots of laughs I'm sure.

Oh dear, @@Kitsafari! Never fun to be ill, but especially not on safari. Good to see you recovered.

I like the details on which tent and walking back at night and safeguarding the ankles. That should especially appeal to @@Girlsnstilettos. I assume you leave the stilettos out of the carryon? Or do you wear them around your neck like I've been known to do with my binocs? Whatever it takes to bring the important items onto the aircraft, right? :rolleyes:

@@Atravelynn, that may have been my quote since I have been in September to the Mara, but I think it may not have been correctly written, therefore misunderstood.

I saw many Wildies killed by lions and crocodiles; stampeded and drowned; but found it quite unpleasant to witness many times during the day. I meant to say the Action of February, with mums hunting FOOD for their cubs was much more interesting than seeing HUNDREDS of wlldebeasts bodies floating down the river.

So, yes in my opinion February is optional time. Seeing the Wildebeast migration was nice for one day; seeing it for two weeks was 12 days too many. Guides think that is what you come to see; but frankly I saw one crossing and was ready to move on.

Sorry for the misunderstanding in reading my post.

As far as Lipault, I purchased one even smaller than the other Ladies....19" vs. 21 or 22, and did so to try to look as small and unencumbered (and boring -grey) as I could as I walked aboard - clearly so I would NOT be gate checked! For me it worked, but remember I am light on GEAR! And I smile at everyone who greets me- and try to look like I know what I am doing. I was cabin crew myself in a former life.

I also do not mind wearing the same ole, same ole day in and out as long as the camps do laundry. Its dark when I awake so half the time I don't even know what I am putting on, though I have tried to calmly lay things out the night before. Somehow they get bunched up and moved!! What is it about tents and missing clothes. Happens to me all the time.

Thanks for reading our combined sitcom of a report....after about two days I think the Ladies enjoyed our tree stops. They got some good snaps as well! This is all Twaffles fault, she got me into landscapes in Africa!

We all had our favs; @@SafariChick was after leopards; @@Kitsafari had a list of cheetahs to find; and me, I just wanted the Mara once again. Those trees were a bonus.

I am actually working on yet another Feb. safari to Kenya as some friends here in our new town were taken by my "slide night" - Apple TV is great for showing pics to a group - and when I explained sundowners to them as I was serving a few, I had some takers.

When their headaches wear off, I'll know for sure if they are serious :wacko:

BTW. I put my binos in their leather case (large!) as I may not have the best camera; but as far as binos, most certainly....they go in a bag from Duty Free. Airports and airlines are in collusion here; they want you to shop before you board, so the airlines allow even the largest of Duty Free white plastic bags to come along with you and your one carry-on. So actually you get two (or three if you are in Biz). I threw a few other things in there as well that I'd might want on the long flight. It might not hurt to pass off a little box of chocolate as you board to the crew. They hate the food as well :D

Gracie's travel tips; just ask.

@@Atravelynn thanks for sticking with the report! it's my first time to the Mara, so i'm not sure if the dense game viewings are typical or not. I recall Twaffle didn't see any leopards at the gorge and vaguely remembered that Safaridude and Game Warden didn't get to see cheetahs in mara north.

I think it was part James' superb guiding skills and fantastic eyesight as well as Dan's (at mara plains) sharp eyes, and part luck.

but even if we didn't see much game, I for one would still be very happy to be back in Africa surrounded by the herbivores and grazers and plains game and the wide beautiful spaces. i could sit for hours just soaking in the tranquility and soul of Africa, but I think whoever my vehicle mates are (with the exception of most fellow ST-ers) won't be that patient. :)

Alexander33

BTW. I put my binos in their leather case (large!) as I may not have the best camera; but as far as binos, most certainly....they go in a bag from Duty Free. Airports and airlines are in collusion here; they want you to shop before you board, so the airlines allow even the largest of Duty Free white plastic bags to come along with you and your one carry-on. So actually you get two (or three if you are in Biz). I threw a few other things in there as well that I'd might want on the long flight. It might not hurt to pass off a little box of chocolate as you board to the crew. They hate the food as well :D

Okay, now this is the kind of thing I love about this site. Stashing fragile gear in a duty-free bag so you don't have to check it. Genius....

Okay, now this is the kind of thing I love about this site. Stashing fragile gear in a duty-free bag so you don't have to check it. Genius....

Sneaky ... :ph34r:

but works.

You are full of tips @@graceland. And now selling Kenya to the locals as well? Excellent!

You are full of tips @@graceland. And now selling Kenya to the locals as well? Excellent!

@@pault,

It takes a village :rolleyes:

A Southern gal advocating all things Africa.

Working it.

Plus they like my photos. :o

@@pault,

It takes a village :rolleyes:

A Southern gal advocating all things Africa.

Working it.

Plus they like my photos. :o

~ @graceland:

Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!

You've got me laughing at 4 am in Beijing...which isn't easy to do.

Great response!

Tom K.

Sneaky ... :ph34r:

but works.

~ @@graceland and @Alexander33:

Who knew?

That comment on the crew and airline food is priceless!

BTW: Etihad seafood special meals seem to be filched from business class — invariably superb.

This gives new ideas...

Tom K.

Oh no, what have I started; people carrying white plastic bags on board...Security checks everyone :(

Don't mention my name.....

Tx.

Oh no, what have I started; people carrying white plastic bags on board...Security checks everyone :(

Don't mention my name.....

Tx.

~ @graceland:

I say nothing — I hear nothing — I see nothing.

Mum's the word.

Now...about those After Eight dark chocolate mints on sale in the Duty Free shop...

Tom K.

Thank you for a superb report - enjoyable all the way through, illustrated with great photos, and the enthusiasm of all three of you shines through. It has also been very helpful for those of us considering a Kenya trip!

Girlsnstilettos

@@Atravelynn Regarding my stilettos, I'll be sure to wear them ON the airplane and on all the safaris too! But around the neck is actually a really good idea. Maybe for my second pair! I'm sure I'll get lots of funny looks in them going on a safari and all, but I'm not one to care what other people think :) I wouldn't waste that valuable carry-on space for my stilettos. I need room for all my makeup and other beauty essentials ^_^

@@Atravelynn Regarding my stilettos, I'll be sure to wear them ON the airplane and on all the safaris too! But around the neck is actually a really good idea. Maybe for my second pair! I'm sure I'll get lots of funny looks in them going on a safari and all, but I'm not one to care what other people think :) I wouldn't waste that valuable carry-on space for my stilettos. I need room for all my makeup and other beauty essentials ^_^

LOL, I steal the plastic quart baggies from my dh and fill with my own "desert dry reliving compounds"...he hasn't a clue....and tie those stilettos on to your bag;

The crew would

be so taken by them never a word spoken......but, did you" see that model sneaking her stilettos on board"

they'd be sneaking

selfies.....for Afro Geo Mag....

As usual I love a renegade! Go for it!]

and Have Fun; that is what safari is all about!

As usual I love a renegade! Go for it!]

and Have Fun; that is what safari is all about!

~ @@graceland and @Girlsnstilettos:

Although I'm about as far from a renegade as anyone could be, I nonetheless am thrilled by those with a wild streak.

@@graceland is SO RIGHT! Having fun on safari is what it's all about.

One and a half months ago, when I first joined Safaritalk, I read a comment by @@Game Warden which really moved me.

He wrote that being out in raw nature was what he really loved.

That's how I feel. There's no need to spot and photograph the world's rarest carnivore riding on the back of tortoise while being chased by a flock of bee-eaters.

Going out there, being crazy, enjoying life and being happy is what it's all about.

What I especially loved about the three “Lipault Ladies” report was the blend of zaniness and sisterhood with a dash of buccaneering spirit.

I've previously written that the biggest effect of being on safari is that I end up with a happy grin on my face throughout each game drive.

It's the living out of the large poster in Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, which says: “Smile, You've Been in Kenya!”.

Here's hoping that you kick up the heels...i.e. stiletto heels...whenever the spirit moves you on safari.

As for me, I can't believe that I'll be back in Kenya in less than 7 days!

Tom K.