Kitsafari

And @@Tom Kellie. We are expecting to see the buccaneer spirit in your trip report upon return

We already know the pics will be superb!

Safari Njema

And @@Tom Kellie. We are expecting to see the buccaneer spirit in your trip report upon return

We already know the pics will be superb!

Safari Njema

~ @graceland:

Asante sana!

You've taught me a Swahili phrase, which I'm very glad to know.

The one buccaneer spirit aspect of this next safari is that six days before departing from Beijing, I still don't have the slightest idea where I'll be visiting.

Ha! No worries! It's all good!

As long as I'm out on a game drive, I'll be smiling...and making photos as occasion warrants.

Your support and encouragement keeps me going!

Tom K.

Loved the hyena video and stills. The big snake tale is quite funny. Quick thinking to snap a photo @@SafariChick!

Up to the amorous lions and Valentines Day story. Sort of a connection there. I really like reading the different versions of what you saw and the photos and videos you chose to post.

Up to the amorous lions and Valentines Day story. Sort of a connection there. I really like reading the different versions of what you saw and the photos and videos you chose to post.

~ @Atravelynn:

I hadn't thought as clearly as you, but it was indeed the multiple perspectives which heightened the enjoyment of reading the “Lipault Ladies” trip report.

Their fine work offered depth and context, as well as such warm humanity.

Thank you for noting the value of reading different versions of the same safari.

Tom K.

Love the cheetah cub activity. Really cute videos. The bean bag was not lost, just re-purposed.

Cheetahs, cheetahs, and more cheetahs! Even a black and white one!

Nice Tawny Eagle on Take-off for the photography workshop portion of the safari.

I noted your comments on not scaring off the bird and making it fly. Where I really drew the line on interfering with the birds is when a guest wanted to frighten two raptors off of their prey for one of those take-off shots. We were told the birds would likely abandon the meal. I objected strongly so we settled for raptors on the ground.

On the other hand if the bird is in a tree where the vehicle must pass and it will fly off anyway, then a clap to launch the bird with cameras ready, rather than a passing vehicle, is about equal intrusion.

Anyway, nice BIF. I learned that from @@pault. It means birds in flight. Those letters could invite speculation without an explanation.

Edited by Atravelynn

~ @Atravelynn:

I hadn't thought as clearly as you, but it was indeed the multiple perspectives which heightened the enjoyment of reading the “Lipault Ladies” trip report.

Thank you for noting the value of reading different versions of the same safari.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, thank you for such meaningful words; it was joyful to see the Mara with The Ladies; different perspectives, yet united in the happiness and wonder of such an amazing place, the Mara.. I won't forget it --nor my time with @@Kitsafari, and @@SafariChick.

Never in a million years did I think I'd go half way across my world and meet two fabulous women I met on an African forum; not really something in my every day life..so being here does expand horizons as well!

I guess everyone needs to open their minds to opportunities :D

Cheetahs, cheetahs, and more cheetahs! Even a black and white one!

Nice Tawny Eagle on Take-off for the photography workshop portion of the safari.

I noted your comments on not scaring off the bird and making it fly. Where I really drew the line on interfering with the birds is when a guest wanted to frighten two raptors off of their prey for one of those take-off shots. We were told the birds would likely abandon the meal. I objected strongly so we settled for raptors on the ground.

On the other hand if the bird is in a tree where the vehicle must pass and it will fly off anyway, then a clap to launch the bird with cameras ready, rather than a passing vehicle, is about equal intrusion.

Anyway, nice BIF. I learned that from @@pault. It means birds in flight. Those letters could invite speculation without an explanation.

I have to commend @kitsafari;she had eyes as sharp as an eagle.....we all saw the bird, but she held steady and captured it! I am totally freaking out.....but then she caught so many birds in flight - the one taking the mongoose....what a surprise....hmm, more birds around Singapore to practice? I don't know...but she nailed it! Quite a bit she did.

I was always the late bloomer - going to catch up though on the next one! (You I have the same camera,so send tips my way :rolleyes: )

And, as usual thanks to all who continue to read the meandering of the Ladies of Lipault. I just ordered my second btw...for DH.

Really could use a kick back from the company to pay for air....hope a Veep is lurking B)

~ @Atravelynn:

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, thank you for such meaningful words; it was joyful to see the Mara with The Ladies; different perspectives, yet united in the happiness and wonder of such an amazing place, the Mara.. I won't forget it --nor my time with @@Kitsafari, and @@SafariChick.

Never in a million years did I think I'd go half way across my world and meet two fabulous women I met on an African forum; not really something in my every day life..so being here does expand horizons as well!

I guess everyone needs to open their minds to opportunities :D

~ @graceland:

Because the ‘Lipault Ladies’ trip report was in the process of being posted and completed when I fist joined Safaritalk, it influenced me quite a lot.

It made me see trip reports as being humorous, with notes of distress, reflection and gratitude sprinkled throughout, as needed.

Reading it underscored the value of multiple perspectives. There's only one of me, but I'll endeavor to view the next safari from various points of view, in the fine tradition of the ‘Lipault Ladies’.

Tom K.

Atravelynn

@@Kitsafari beautiful shot! You would not be spamming this thread with photos of Mohawk yawning - I would love to see them!

so for @@SafariChick : "Mohawk shows his perfect canines" and advanced apologies to those suffering from cat fatigue.

untitled-1-584.jpg

untitled-1-585.jpg

untitled-1-488.jpg

looks around....

untitled-1-587.jpg

and bares his teeth in an even larger yawn

untitled-1-588.jpg

untitled-1-589.jpg

untitled-1-489.jpg

untitled-1-590.jpg

untitled-1-592.jpg

untitled-1-594.jpg

untitled-1-595.jpg

untitled-1-596.jpg

tries to shake off the drowsiness

untitled-1-597.jpg

"grr they are still around me"

untitled-1-491.jpg

"I'll show them how big my paw is then"

untitled-1-492.jpg

You know the studies that show when one person yawns, others do too? As I scrolled down and watched the lion yawning wider and wider, I felt a yawn descend upon me and I yawned too. And not from cat fatigue. Maybe end of the day fatigue but I think that study is right. Great shots of the yawn in progress.

Atravelynn

and a lovely Eland who posed nicely for us

16312204683_a10020824c_c.jpg

16906323786_b29d514e64_c.jpg

Exceptional colors for both the eland and surroundings.

When I came outside, James was waiting and our plan was to go to Emakoko for me to check in and have a late lunch. As we started driving, he got a call on his cell phone. He looked and sounded concerned. He turned to me slightly and asked "Do you think you might have your friend's passport?" and mentioned @@graceland 's real name. I looked at him very perplexed and said "no, of course not - why would I have her passport?" He said wait a minute and told the person on the phone he'd call her back. He hung up and said to me "Well, because apparently she has yours!" :o To be continued ....

I went from yawning right along with your lion, to feeling my heart pound louder in my chest. I am actually nervous right now while reading this. Oh no!

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

I have just finished reading the whole passport incident. My heart is still pounding as if I were in that snake-filled bathtub @@pault described. What a tale. Your misfortune is a valuable lesson for us all: check your passport when it is returned to you. Maybe you have saved someone else a similar mishap.

Hoping your brother is in good health and can enjoy the humorous tales of your misadventures, along with the many wonderful experiences.

Good think @@Kitsafari was there to help out. It is always beneficial to have someone around who is not personally affected by the ensuing chaos.

On a side note, I wonder how that boarding pass issue works for those without a smartphone (or without one that works without WIFI) when there is no printer in the bush?

Edited by Atravelynn

Kitsafari

i also wondered fleetingly about that when i showed my smartphone check-in. i guess they either have to show printed ticket or reservation if they didn't do the online check in.

@@Atravelynn, thank you for sticking here to reading the report and for your comments!

graceland

@@Atravelynn,

Thanks for taking the time to read our report as you work on such a good one yourself!

Ah, the passport..so strange but the 'usual" me OCD when traveling (not so much at home) did think at Wilson airport first day that I really did not want to walk away (to the cafe) and leave my passport behind.....but, Steven, the agent assured us he'd be on the flight with us, so no worry. I was trying to go with the flow and not demand to stand there until the paperwork was completed. Now I know...never again!

As far as entering the Nairobi airport, I was surprised that to ENTER we needed a boarding pass; most people from the bush have to go to the gate to check in.

In retrospect I am thinking the young man NOTICED I did not look like the passport photo I I handed him, so just asked for the BP to check the name.

He was young and impressionable; I just showed him my smartphone and acted like I knew what I was talking about :rolleyes: He just waved me through as someone else will take care of it! Fortunately I had a chat with the TSA agent as she patted me down -and remembered me later as she allowed me run out to pick up my REAL passport from the transfer, and back in again without going through the line again!

I wish he HAD STOPPED ME - an hour had passed before anyone did. And in Nairobi one needs all the hours they can to get to and from the airport!I

Thank goodness I had support in @kitsafari; after her stomach ordeal, I put her through this :D I hope I haven't put her off group travel!

A new cover is on order with my colors!

I am sad to say my brother has been diagnosed with a disease that has no cure. There will be no trip to Africa in his life.

Thank you for asking. Support from all here on ST has truly been appreciated this year. Best group ever.

Reminder to all, life is not predictable; do not wait for that "special trip" or experience. Go for it; one never knows or predicts the future.

Edited by graceland

Atravelynn

I am sad to say my brother has been diagnosed with a disease that has no cure. There will be no trip to Africa in his life.

Thank you for asking. Support from all here on ST has truly been appreciated this year. Best group ever.

Reminder to all, life is not predictable; do not wait for that "special trip" or experience. Go for it; one never knows or predicts the future.

The whole passport fiasco, while upsetting at the time, is trivial in comparison to these really big important things. It is a good reminder.

Atravelynn

You handled yourself much better than I would have done in the same situation with the passports!

I left my camera on the counter of a bookstore (the one where Freddy Mercury was born) in Stone Town and only realized it was missing when enjoying a sundowner at the bar of the Serena and wanted to take a photo of the sunset. I was hysterical running around like a mad woman!! The poor attendant who assisted me didn't quite know what to do with me.

It was the end of my first 3 week visit to Kenya & Tanzania so all my photos were in that camera case! :( Luckily I was able to reach my guide who immediately went to the bookstore. The owner was just closing up for the day and locked the camera in the safe knowing we'd be back the next day.

We both went back the next day so I could thank him properly and I think I may have overwhelmed the poor guy with how tight of a hug I gave him!

Freddy Mercury was born on the counter of a bookstore?

I can imagine how frantic you were not even as much about the camera, but ALL those photos. At Mara Serena one time I returned from the buffet table and got confused over the 2 dining rooms and thought my camera bag was gone, when in fact I was in the wrong dining room due to my terrible sense of direction. I know that panic feeling.

-----------

This passport story ranks right up there with another mishap that turned out fine from way, way back on a different travel site. A couple was going from Kenya to Rwanda. The flight made a stop in Burundi and they accidentally got off the plane and only realized their mistake when going through customs. Burundi by accident!

The couple frantically raced back to the plane and explained their dilemma to the agent, including misplacing their boarding passes in the chaos. They were allowed back on. Before the plane took off, there was an announcement that welcomed the new passengers and then without any sarcasm stated: "for those who have rejoined the flight, the fly time to Kigali will be 30 minutes."

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

@@SafariChick

It is a good job you mentioned that it was an actress walking with the elephants as I might have wondered at the wisdom of the choice of clothing the keepers were wearing :)

You and the baby elephant look very happy in those pictures!

My thoughts exactly. You look even happier than the actress. She was probably less comfortable in that gown. The baby eles look happy too and have a lift in their gait, knowing it is feeding time. Good idea on the rotation of keepers. Those calves don't need any more stress or upheaval in their lives.

5 rhino in 45 minutes in NBO Nat Park is a big score too. How nice you could be part of the bookend NBO activities, @@SafariChick!

Edited by Atravelynn

SafariChick

@@graceland you know I have told you privately also, but I'm so sorry about your brother. And you are so right that we need to live now and not wait for "some day." I think a lot of us on Safaritalk practice that philosophy, but it is always worthwhile to be reminded of it.

@@KathBC I would have been frantic to lose my photos too if I had like you. I also was not aware of Freddie Mercury being born in a book store (and on the counter? Or maybe it was just that she left her camera on the counter but it was the counter of the book store in which Freddie Mercury was born!) It would have been an even better story had he been born in a record store!

@@Atravelynn I was extremely happy. I was so excited to be meeting my "babies" I had butterflies in my stomach beforehand! And the time at Nairobi National Park was amazing. Very sadly, I recently got word from Sheldrick that one of the orphans that I met has died. It was Ashaka, and I got an email about it because I had sponsored her as a gift for my niece. They sent the news to my niece but also to me. They do not seem to know quite why she died. This is what they told me in the email:

"Ashaka came to the Nursery as a tiny calf rescued by KWS having been stricken in water and abandoned by her herd close to a place called Manyani in Tsavo National Park. She grew up together with Kamok in the Nursery, both tiny little calves of a similar age, and they have shared next door night stables all this time. Kamok has grown into a strong robust calf but over the months we have become increasingly concerned by Ashaka's lack of growth. She was always an incredibly picky feeder and if we added supplements to her feed she would reject it, and this was the constant battle we had with Ashaka. None of this could have prepared us for the rapid decline in recent weeks, which began by excessive and frequent loose stools in early April. Despite numerous tests it never became clear what her problem actually was.

Ashaka died early morning of the 18th of April. A totally unexpected turn of events which has been heartbreaking for everyone particularly given that we have loved and nurtured her for such a long time and felt sure we were through those fraught infancy months. An autopsy was immediately performed revealing that Ashaka's liver was compromised. Numerous samples have been taken in the hope that we can glean some answers and learn why Ashaka's liver was in such a state. What we do feel sure about is that Ashaka has been plagued with a chronic problem for some time, because as the others grew around her it amplified that something was insidiously wrong, but the reasons for this remained unclear for us until the end. So little is known about the diseases in elephants, and this is another mystifying situation that has confused even the Vets. She will be sorely missed by all. RIP little Ashaka."

I was so sad to read this, but they do take such wonderful care of the orphans there, I know they must have done everything they could and just couldn't save her. :-(

graceland

@@SafariChick, I am so sad to hear that news.Every time I get a FB page or email from Sheldrick tellling the sad new of a baby dying, I truly shed tears. I am so emotional about these babies.

Everyone else, thank you for the kind words and support this past year with my ongoing crisis with my only sibling, my brother. He is a strong one, but an illness as Alzhiemers is so devastating to hear at such a YOUNG age - resulting from brain trauma years ago...He is still of sound body and mind (on occasion) and we are perservering with Physcial Therapy and Nutrition Therapies. A couple of brain surgeries later, drugs are not in the game plan.... I am just sorry I will never show him what he has only seen in my pictures and stories of Africa and our safaris.

I only decided to make the diagnosis public so perhaps those contemplating a safari "in a few years" might want to just go for it if the opportunity presents itself! Life is not guaranteed so make the most of every day.

But, I know, he has thoroughly enjoyed all the pics I have introduced him to on Safaritalk....as a once thriving photog in his early years, it interests him so to look and examine over and over what he has found here on galleries. SO, ST does provide to so many more than must safarigoers, and I have to thank everyone for that. Truly appreciated there are places such as this on the internet that those who have NOT been can go virtually. A definite positive in our family. A Blessing.

Again, thanks everyone for the support.

madaboutcheetah

@@graceland - very sorry to hear of this ...... Stay strong and positive...

I am so sorry to hear this @@graceland. I hope that he (and you) have all of your loved ones' support.

You also offer good advice that I must try to remember.

graceland

I am so sorry to hear this @@graceland. I hope that he (and you) have all of your loved ones' support.

You also offer good advice that I must try to remember.

Thank you @Marks; the ST family has been SO supportive with me through all this as I turn here many days when I need to "escape"..

I am happy to report a new plan is in place by yet another group of specialists and hoping that gives the Brother a bit more energy and spirit! Not enough to take him abroad, but perhaps a beach trip nearby in a few months. Sunshine and roar of an ocean is always a good thing!

Appreciate your kind thoughts :)

@@graceland

quite sad to hear about your brother.

Ladies:

i just read the full report in one go. It had all the elements of a thriller. The passport affair must have been a nail biter. Still get goose pimples when i think about it.

what a lovely adventure and so well documented.

OUTSTANDING!!