Kitsafari

Mara North is pregnant with game. The density is ridiculous.

Lions were around every corner, although not as large prides. They were dripping everywhere in small groups often with Cubs.

interesting - I was there less than a week before and we would see a pride consisiting of 5 females and 10 cubs on a daily basis

@@ice - we did see part of the Cheli peacock pride of 5 females and 11 cubs (including the weeks-old cubs) on the first morning, and again (which will be coming up soon). you could have seen the same pride. it was just that we didn't go in search of them every day.

To confirm that Wifi and Sadi are indeed dogs, here are their photos.

This is Sadi - a 6-month old doggie.

untitled-1-252.jpg

and this Wifi, a 1-year old doggie, who loves to chase and bury rocks

untitled-1-253.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

I love the jackal pictures, and the dik dik. And a great picture of the tortoise - how big was it. I also like hyenas so would love to see young ones.

I think the 3 way report is working well!

the leopard tortoise was about a foot or less. it was resting in the shade of the tree when we disturb its quiet.

another pix:

untitled-1-94.jpg

SafariChick

Here is a video of the hyena den showing some of the really little ones:

SafariChick

Some photos from around camp:

Roisin, the manager, with Wifi:

16609318699_e547f9fe53_c.jpg

Wifi and Saidie - Wifi liked to sleep in this hollow below the bar:

16794344172_6b1ee2308b_c.jpg

A genet who likes to come visit the camp - they tried to give it a cracked egg but it would have none of it:

16588168237_492a7bb939_c.jpg

Genet again after it leapt up on a ledge, posing nicely with some other objects:

16794333401_a973358b9a_c.jpg

SafariChick

a couple of hyena photos:

a greeting:

16798075312_635dd8b92b_c.jpg

Checking out the zebra skull:

16591904247_25abbbe78f_c.jpg

SafariChick

One of the more unusual and exciting experiences I had on this safari, I had without @@Kitsafari or @@graceland - and it was in the middle of the night! It was the night of this second day, I think. As some may know, Serian Main camp is designed with your own tent containing your bed(s) and then the bathroom is in a separate sort of chalet that is semi-open to the air. you have to leave your tent, walk out on your decking maybe 10-15 feet and walk through the entryway of your bathroom. When we first booked this camp, I found this somewhat disconcerting, but then I had my Liuwa trip during which I had to walk a lot farther than that to reach the loos, and so this seemed like nothing. I did have a little bat that would always visit me when I was in the loo in the night or early morning, flying in and out at a crazy pace, but I got used to that! If it was the middle of the night, I would still use my flashlight to look around for lions or something like that before walking out, but I didn't really expect to see anything.

Well, on this night, I went out at 1:30 a.m. and flashed around with my flashlight. Didn't see anything - at first. Zipped up my tent and took a step or two, pointing the flashlight towards the bathroom. And there, wrapped around the trunk of a tree right at the entrance to the bathroom, I saw this:

16795440565_a01a4a5228_c.jpg

Upon seeing this sight I thought to myself "Oh. I wonder if I should go back into my tent and rethink this." So I did. I looked around my tent and tried to figure out if there was any other way I could go out to do what I needed to do in the loo. After about 10 seconds I decided no, there wasn't, and I really had to go. So I grabbled my phone and went back out and took that photo. I then noticed the snake was slithering under the deck and I thought, ok, no problem, it's not going into the bathroom or my tent so I'm heading into that loo! At some point, I can't remember if it was after or before I went to the loo, the askaris who were walking around at the end of the path to my tent came down to ask if everything was ok, as they'd seen me flashing my light around a bit. I replied, yes, everything is ok but I was looking at this - and showed them the snake. They were impressed. I asked if they knew what kind of snake it was. "Yes - a big snake." I could have told them that. I think they actually didn't know the name in English as the next day James had spoken to them and told me it had been a rock python.

The next morning, there was no sign of it, but as I was getting ready I heard a "meow" "meow" coming from near the deck. I stepped outside in time to see a maybe 5-6 month kitten dashing back under the deck. I was thinking this is not a very good place for you kitten, and where did you come from anyway? It was not a wildcat, this was verified by some of the managers who went to look at it while I was at breakfast. Everyone was stumped because they had seen a feral male cat around but not females. In any case, the snake was gone so I guess the kitten was safe. Oh, and apparently everyone, askaris included, was impressed that I didn't scream upon seeing the snake. And thus ends the tale of my exciting night.

Edited by SafariChick

SafariChick

Here's a video of my tent and the loo at a more sedate pace than the one @@graceland took of hers - I am not even sure how you did that!

i thought @@SafariChick was brave! i would have refused to sleep in that tent especially with a snake underneath the deck!

strangely, that was the same night I got violently sick and couldn't sleep the whole night. there were lots of hyenas whooping around my tent. I was worried they could smell the contents i threw up in a ziplock bag and which I had placed in the open air washroom. so at 3am+ when i heard the askari walking around my washroom, i called out to him and there were 3 of them keeping night duty (very safe in Serian camp!). i gave them the bag from the washroom, and after they took it away, the hyenas melted away.

at 5am+, I heard something trying to unzip the tent flaps. immediately, i sat up and shone the torch at the flap. Staring back at me was huge round eyes belonging to a small creature of maybe 6 inches with a held-up hand with long digits. I stared back at it for a couple of minutes, then softly said Shoo, and it bounded away. I think it was a bushbaby who must have come into the tent many times. it sure was fiddling the zips, and probably smelt the banana in the room.

it was quite an eventful night for us. I loved that episode with the bushbaby though. not sure if I could have handled the snake so well.

I love the video of the baby hyenas - it really shows the playful essence of the youngsters.

And great details about the camp!

@@SafariChick,

I slept through the whole night; missing the excitement!

Roisen and the staff helped with my fast paced video...a quick way to see it all!

She took one of the entire camp; a fun activity between game drives.

I admit I am not "sedate". Never Aiming to Be.

Other areas around the Serian camp;

Shady, and relaxing on all the pillows -

post-5364-0-67679200-1426246408_thumb.jpg

and the bar set up where" Wif" (seen above) would seek shade and entertain those who came by for a splash.

A very nice outdoor space to meet up with guests and staff; meet before the afternoon game drive; come back for lunch and hang out with the pups.

post-5364-0-51784300-1426246474_thumb.jpg

Edited by graceland

Girlsnstilettos

I'm really enjoying this TR! I love everyone's personal take on the safari. The pics are great, so many gorgeous creatures! I want to see a tortoise too, hope we're lucky and find one.

Wow, Serian looks like a really nice house to me! (but a tent, lol) I could see myself living there surrounded by wildlife! Love the photo of all the alcohol bottles on the table. I wouldn't mind a drink (or 2) to relax after a long day of safari! ;)

SafariChick

The next morning we learned that @@Kitsafari would not be joining us as she was still feeling unwell from the night before, so we set out without her, feeling concerned. One of our first sightings of the day was a mother lion with her two juvenile sons. We had seen them the day before and James had told us that there was a mother who hung out with her three juveniles, two sons and a daughter, and he had thought it was the daughter and sons we saw and the mother was missing. In seeing them again this morning and with them all standing and walking, James realized it was the mother and sons we had seen yesterday and again now, and that the daughter was missing. They looked lovely in the morning sun.

16773910356_b639cce6c8_c.jpg

16179853033_4e74e4160d_c.jpg

16612195748_5ee0e02b42_c.jpg

Suddenly, they seemed to see something in the distance:

16179853953_ea289b27dc_c.jpg

and started slowly walking in its direction:

16612401480_6b78f6e3a9_c.jpg

could it be the missing sister/daughter?

It was! And we saw a very happy reunion.

16592482917_ab471731ac_c.jpg

16798664231_46e22afd0f_c.jpg

16177443804_dd6ebef584_c.jpg

SafariChick

Next we came upon some jackals resting, though I seem to only have photos of one at a time.

16622716279_6f22ac00f9_c.jpg

16807745962_3103987218_c.jpg

16601557607_379ed66318_c.jpg

as we continued on, we came upon what seemed to be a maternity ward. There were so many newborn wildies, the Moms sometimes walking around with the placenta still hanging out.

16622796649_cf87c8e6c3_c.jpg

16189005803_c10a9da29a_c.jpg

The baby in the first shot was still dark from being all wet, that's how recent its birth seemed to have been. It was trying to nurse (not in the photo I have there, obviously) but the mother kept walking and it kept following her. We felt bad for it, thinking why wouldn't she stop and let it drink? But perhaps, we thought, she was trying to keep it moving so it got comfortable on its legs first, in case it needed to run from danger.

We next had a brief sighting of a bat-eared fox! That was exciting, but it quickly ran into a hole and I didn't get a photo.

Edited by SafariChick

This morning turned out to be one of my favorites (though @@Kitsafari was missing it) as the sun reflecting on the rocks and the lions golden fur made for a special photo op in my view.

I was mesmerized by the combination and here are a few of my captures in the glow,

Calling for the lone lion,

post-5364-0-76145600-1426335096_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-08066000-1426335135_thumb.jpg

Affection

post-5364-0-12093400-1426335186_thumb.jpg

Reunion

post-5364-0-17768000-1426334984_thumb.jpg

As @@SafariChick wrote, we came upon newborns with the wildebeasts...a newborn trying to nurse, while the mother wanting her child to gain strength refused and kept walking in order for her to follow using her legs.

It was amazing to watch how the mum knew instinctively she had to get her baby up and going as so many predators were probably lurking nearby.... I had never experienced watching this in the bush and it was quite special to me.

Cleaning up the newborn

post-5364-0-34765200-1426335513_thumb.jpg

Trying to keep up with mum and nurse!

post-5364-0-41441000-1426335554_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-40896000-1426335622_thumb.jpg

Awwwww, those lions look gorgeous and almost all grown up in the morning sun @@SafariChick and @@graceland. those really newborn babies are precious.

Awwwww, those lions look gorgeous and almost all grown up in the morning sun @@SafariChick and @@graceland. those really newborn babies are precious.

So sorry you missed that morning, @@Kitsafari, but happy you can read about your missed day here on Safaritalk!

I made a short vid of that day; am trying to take some of the unnecessary frames out; when I'm able I'll probably post it :P

Yet Another Another Chaotic Video from Grace For Your Enjoyment~~

That is a loveley sequence of the newborn Wildie

What an amazing variety of sightings you have had @@Kitsafari @@graceland @SafariChick

All well described and with beautiful photos.

Going back to the start I remain fascinated by that photo of those relaxed and casual elands lying down for their photoshoot @@Kitsafari.

I've always found eland to be highly nervous antelope anxious to keep their distance. Never seen them lying down before - normally it's the dust kicked up by their heels!

Also love Run, Bandits, Run - would look good in a wildlife calendar - now there's a thought for the Lipault Ladies. Making a selection could be a problem tho' with so many worthy ones and I look forward to more.

Going back to the start I remain fascinated by that photo of those relaxed and casual elands lying down for their photoshoot @@Kitsafari.

I've always found eland to be highly nervous antelope anxious to keep their distance. Never seen them lying down before - normally it's the dust kicked up by their heels!

Also love Run, Bandits, Run - would look good in a wildlife calendar - now there's a thought for the Lipault Ladies. Making a selection could be a problem tho' with so many worthy ones and I look forward to more.

thanks @@Caracal. there were some skittish ones in the national park but I was also surprised by how calm others were. here are a couple more pix of the male elands that were quite very curious about us, enough to stand still for a couple of quick shots!

untitled-1-207.jpg

in the reserve

untitled-1-547.jpg

on the way to Ol Kiombo airstrip

SafariChick

Thanks @@Caracal! @@Kitsafari beautiful elands - they are such lovely creatures, and we were lucky with a few sightings where they didn't run away. I will see if I find any other good photos also.

Continuing with the morning drive of the day Kit was sick, I have a few photos of a lion cub and adult but I don't remember exactly what was the story with these - I didn't take any notes on them. I think it may have been the four mothers with the eleven cubs resting. We just stayed briefly and thought we'd look for them again later when the light was better and perhaps they would be more lively.

16792282446_74770b15cc_c.jpg

16792285766_6281ee1665_c.jpg

Next, we came across a zebra carcass with many vultures around it.

16792315786_231290e765_c.jpg

16817113331_d7a0987316_c.jpg

16610865327_aa22c680f7_c.jpg

16632066519_0928cfdbc2_c.jpg

Moving on, we saw some buffalo. This one had oxpeckers cleaning every orifice and section of his skin, it seemed. Since his eyes were closed, perhaps he was enjoying the experience.

16817121671_5d2ec64528_c.jpg

16792335986_b35511fa3e_c.jpg

16792336456_ea8ff95573_c.jpg

16610909557_ee50d6903f_c.jpg

16630825450_2a40215bd1_c.jpg

And for the last sighting of the morning, a beautiful Tree Agama Lizard:

16198282163_f47f36635f_c.jpg

SafariChick

In the afternoon, we first encountered some hyenas:

16198558873_fcc12e5a6d_c.jpg

16630933508_958d982fd7_c.jpg

but the best sighting of the afternoon was going back to find the eleven cubs with the Moms. If I recall correctly, I think this time one Mom seemed to be taking care of the babies while they others rested a little ways away. The cubs were all tangled up in each other and the Mom, suckling and playing. Here are the better of the photos I took:

16818488675_db49ddf154_c.jpg

16792620296_8cfa119e3d_c.jpg

16631106570_5a19bc6afe_c.jpg

16817384402_4b8bf69d0e_c.jpg

16630937268_a35a48d730_c.jpg

16817415681_714166c8e6_c.jpg

The videos I took give a better idea of all the action. In this one, I thought it amusing how one cub decides to suckle by going for the farthest nipple, stretching itself across most of the others so no other cub could get at them! They didn't seem to mind though, they were mostly done anyway I think.

Cubs suckling:

The next two are cubs doing what they do best.

Cubs playing 1:

Cubs playing 2:

We were lucky to spend quite a long time watching them, with only one or two other vehicles. It was a lovely way to end our time at Serian Main Camp in the Mara North.

Edited by SafariChick

Such adorable lion cubs -- I could watch them play all day!