Once arriving at the lodge, a frindly staff awaits you with a cold drink, and of course, the pool with a view. After the pool at Grootberg Lodge, and its view, this was the second most beautiful view in my life!

attachicon.gif20150422_155051 D71_0911B.JPG

The lodge is located on a privately owned property, and has 20 private chalets built on the rim of the second largest canyon in the world. The views are superb even from inside the room.

attachicon.gif20150422_160550 DSC01901A.JPG

The most attractive activity is a multiple days hiking tour inside the canyon. Not being such type of hikers, and above all, staying only one night at FRL, we opted for other 2 options.

Zvezda has positioned herself and a tripod on a small terrace in front of our chalet.

attachicon.gif20150422_162136 D61_0648A.JPG

attachicon.gif20150422_164814 D71_0933A.JPG

attachicon.gif20150422_172842 D61_0675B.JPG

We loved that lodge, happy memories seeing your photographs ☺️

@graceland: the scenery of Namibia is truly spectacular. As for the "writer", I have used a wrong word. What I meant is while my wife's task is to photograph, my task is to write the trip report. Based on my memory, and with limited vocabulary, I might repeat the same sentences often :rolleyes: About spelling and grammar errors, please just skip over. Stay tuned, after one more day of awesome scenery and great light we will start also with some wildlife photos

@penolva: the lodge itself has a breathtaking position; with only one night we could not appreciate it as it deserves. Maybe next time?

pedro maia

Hi Alex, I´m following your TR with great interest, wonderfull pictures and nice reading as well.

Namibia is definitely on my to go list, I just don´t know when.

@@pedro maia: welcome aboard, Pedro! Enjoy the ride. And "domo arigato" for your kind words. The more trip reports you will read about Namibia, higher on the list of "next trip destinations" it will climb! Just a warning: it is the most addictive country I have been to!

@@xelas So you've quantified at least the top two views of your life...I suspect this thread must already contain the next hundred! Simply breathtaking photography.

Is the "theme" one of a tree plus an incredible view?

The photo at the end of page 2 with "Namibia" written in the dune has some texturally fascinating footprints.

@Marks: I am glad to announce that you are the winner of my quiz. The prize (a bottle of Slovenian wine, or beer, or other drink up to your choice, as long as it is a local one) you can collect on your next visit to Ljubljana :) !!

Not just a tree, Aloe dichotoma is a signature tree of Fish River Lodge. I was really mesmerized by their shapes.

@@xelas Should I find myself in Slovenia, I'll hold you to that. :)

It is a very distinct tree.

@@xelas really love your report..truely namibia is arizona of africa...

How much was the total cost for your trip.??

@gagan: thank you for this comparison; I still need to travel to that part of the US so that is very useful. As for our costs, lodges, car and gasoline was around 3600 US$, the Kgalagadi TP / SANParks Wild Card 250 US$. total 4.000 US$ (without airfare).

Edited by xelas

@@xelas really love your report..truely namibia is arizona of africa...

How much was the total cost for your trip.??

Without the RV's, buses, golf courses and highways :D

..or maybe I was in the convention area and should have kept going!

Edited by graceland

I really want to see ...skeleton coast and etosha salt pans..

@gagan: and between the two, there is Damaraland :wub: !

@@xelas..sure ..but the biggest problem is that... I am not there..:)

From Fish River Lodge to Mesosaurus Fossil Camp / 210 kms, 4 hrs 30 min

Waking up and getting out of the bed before the sun allows for fantastic colours to be captured.

post-47185-0-90683200-1433967138_thumb.jpg

The sunrise at Fish river canyon is as spectacular as is the sunset. We were very lucky to have great weather on our only night there. We have watched how the rising sun have coloured the rocks in different shades (and not one was grey).

post-47185-0-39672900-1433967134_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-31023400-1433967144_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-96806900-1433967150_thumb.jpg

After yet another delicious breakfast Zvezda has decided for some birding while I have done some more walking. To change the theme, here are some birds. Please feel free to correct any mistakes in ID's.

Pale-winged Starling

post-47185-0-31384000-1433967156_thumb.jpg

Familiar Chat

post-47185-0-00258000-1433967160_thumb.jpg

Trio The Sociable Weavers

post-47185-0-85885100-1433967164_thumb.jpg

Yellow Canary, fem.

post-47185-0-30420300-1433967169_thumb.jpg

Dusky Sunbird, fem.

post-47185-0-03671200-1433967174_thumb.jpg

And one more photo of Aloe Dichotoma and its intricant bark.

post-47185-0-90725900-1433967178_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-66220700-1433967193_thumb.jpg

Peter Connan

If this is the standard of your bird photography, you will get no complaints from me!

I am really enjoying this TR Alex!

@@Peter Connan: that is a great compliment from such a fine bird photographer! And now we know what the other photos has to look like to be posted here. I am sure there are others similar, just don't know how many (and if I will be able to ID them all :huh: ).

Africalover

Well, I am not a photographer going on safari, I am a nature lover going on safari, taking photos. Your photos make me want to enhance my photo skills.

Cheers.

@Africalover: I can assure you, we are of the same clan, nature lovers taking photos! Skill and equipment do make a difference but love for nature is the main ingredient which makes our photos what they are!

Of course, practise ... practise ... practise ... and more practise ;) improves every photographer. And some luck.

Page 1: Wow on the sky. Hilarious dinner conversation! It really is a small world. So small you can't be promising photos you won't send!

Love your baby oryx.

marindadrake

Stunning images. Great trip report.

@Atravelynn: it has to become quite small for a frequent traveller like you :) ! I hope one day our paths will cross; until then there is so much to repeat after you :P

@marindadrake: Thanks! The part of the world you are living in is truly something extraordinary!

@@xelas i'm very late to this report and i'm at post #21, and that 's a breathtaking view to wake up to!

and how cute and endearing is that rock martin gesturing and stamping its feet as it chatters on!

@Kitsafari: Welcome aboard! Never too late, and this TR is still in its first week. Take the ride slowly, there are some pretty decent morning and evening views still to enjoy! The little guy did show his temper, isn't he?!

that 12th photo of the tree in post #23 is simply unbelievable and then you and Zvezdana top that with the photos in post #38. my favourite of the entire lot has to be the 5th photo of the couple standing in the middle of the white ground - the white grounding gives up a ghostly glow against the almost blurred brown slope at the background. it's surreal and yet draws you into their silent mystical world.

@@xelas your TR once again reinforces my hopes of going to the out-of-this-worldly Namibia!

FlyTraveler

Fabulous journey and trip report @@xelas! Stunning photos, I am coming too late into the report to comment on individual images, many great ones. Looking forward to seeing more...