Finland- Into No Man's Land

kittykat23uk

200 mm with a 1.4 teleconverter! It seems you were really close to the bear. What is the factor associated with your sensor? I used to have a Hybrid and the factor was higher than for DX.

This is just amazing. Is it common to see the wolves and bears together as you did? I know you mentioned the website showed bears and wolves, but websites often post once-in-a-lifetime shots. Back to your baiting comments, I presume that is what has brought them into close proximity, although bears and wolves in the same region is typical.

Thanks Lynn, yes during the summer months is is a frequent sighting at this lodge at the moment. But that could change as pack dynamics change. As I said, there is just one pack of four wolves. The bears only come in the spring and leave to den in Russia in the autumn.

You mention various hides. Were the wolverine shots taken from the caravan hide that is usually used or that closer hide that you stayed in? How many people per hide? Were some hides more advantageous than others and was there a method to assigning guests to hides? Did you use a tripod or bean bag?

It was the nice close hide! I was there on my own. I always had a hide to myself. Others had to share. The larger hide at the wolverine site is set quite a way back. At the Lake all hides are spread out along the front of the Lake and similar but more widely spaced at Paradise with larger hides in the middle and smaller ones on either side.

Thanks for the background on other places you investigated. Very helpful.

Your "safari" started & ended with a pickup at the airport in Kajaani, right?

Yeah that is right.

What do you think about 5 nights? It seems you saw it all. But do you think you had exceptional luck?

5 nights is enough to get a shot in each hide with a couple to spare in case of no shows. I could have happily stayed longer, were it not for the cost. In the spring there are also bird hides like capercaille leks and black grouse that you can also do and you can take boat trips on the Lake to look for beavers.

200 mm with a 1.4 teleconverter! It seems you were really close to the bear. What is the factor associated with your sensor? I used to have a Hybrid and the factor was higher than for DX.

2x crop factor so the lenses is 100-400 equiv. Plus the 1.4 optical converter and on to of that you can use the 2x digital converter in camera (but used sparingly) .

Thanks for the responses and for this highly intriguing report. Forgot to mention those fairy tale mushrooms. Too much other stuff going on in this action packed report!

• 2 months later...

Omgosh @@kittykat23uk I'm only up to post 60 but what an adventurous spirt you have. Incredible. You mentioned it once but I'd like more info on how comfortable you were in the hides from a safety standpoint?

The the photos, the videos, the music, the slap to the head, all just great.

I am not really sure how to answer that ! There have been no incidents as far as I know. It's basically the same construction as a regular bird hide. The toilet being outside, it's probably a good idea not to go when you know a bear is right by the hide. They do get close, especially at the caravan hide nearest the bait and at the lake. Like me, there could be times when you are on your own as I was at the caravan.

• 2 months later...

@@kittykat23uk, not sure how I missed this the first time. I came for the Wolverine shots but stayed for the photos and videos. I never thought of Finland as a wildlife destination. I was wrong. Thanks for sharing!

Alan

kittykat23uk

Thanks :). Finland is a fantastic wildlife destination! I would definitely recommend you go sometime.