Show us your injured wildlife...

Game Warden

Please include when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent details from the sighting.

This topic leads on from the zebra photos both @@Safaridude and @@Bush dog posted in this trip report.

Injured, whether through attempted predation, fighting, human interference etc. Tell us the story about it.

ellenhighwater

This one still breaks my heart. This stunning male lion was seen in the Mara in May of 2014. He was sitting on an enormous male buffalo he'd killed and when we approached him in our jeep it appears he was happy but suffering from a bit of a food coma. Then he went to move. His rear right leg drug behind him and he got no further than two tortured steps before collapsing. You can see a few other smaller injuries on his front legs that he must have sustained in the hunt. It appears this was to be his last meal. We let the rangers know, but I imagine there was nothing to be done.

15950349395_4db71e9219_z.jpg

• 1 month later...
Peter Geraerdts

This Zebra was, most likely, on the Lions menu a few hours before I saw it in South Luangwa National Park. Lions do have the intendancy to start chewing on big prey before they are actually dead. Not pretty, but it is the way it is. This zebra somehow managed to escape. Although wildlife in general have amazing natural strenght to recover from major injuries, but i still doubt if this zebra could have survided this injury.

post-50234-0-00191300-1448284813_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

post-49296-0-02199500-1460371749_thumb.jpg

One Gone

Photographed on 23 January, 2016, at 6:45 am in Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens

ISO 400, 1/1000 sec., f/2.8, handheld Manual mode exposure

******************************************************************************************************************************

~ In my Leopard Hills trip report @@Kitsafari commented on a missing canine tooth in an open-mouthed portrait of the young mother leopard, Xikavi. After reading her thoughtful comment I remembered this sighting.

This male lion was a member of a coalition which had killed an adult African buffalo earlier that morning. When he yawned, a missing fang was self-evident. How that might affect his eating and health I don't know.

Game Warden

gallery_1_1287_1920244.jpg

An old and healed wire snare wound to this elephant's trunk in Tembe, KZN, South Africa.