SHOW US YOUR BONGO'S

PHALANX

Like all great moments in life, they happen when you least expect them.

Driving back down Mt Kenya wham! there they were, Bongo, 5 females & one male.

post-50530-0-13719100-1459846674_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-93117800-1459846743_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-80964800-1459846805_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-62983900-1459847018_thumb.jpg

~ @@PHALANX

What a week it's been.

First Zorillas, now bongos.

Will okapi be next?

Thank you so much for your generous sharing of these images.

It's livening up the African photo section.

Tom K.

Game Warden

@@PHALANX Great sighting and so close. Right place, right time?

Thanks for starting this topic. Let's see some more Bongo!

~ @@PHALANX

What a week it's been.

First Zorillas, now bongos.

Will okapi be next?

Thank you so much for your generous sharing of these images.

It's livening up the African photo section.

Tom K.

Oooh, @@Tom Kellie if only. thanks

@@PHALANX Great sighting and so close. Right place, right time?

Thanks for starting this topic. Let's see some more Bongo!

So close. They were literally 10mt, just off the side of the road. :D

@@PHALANX - a wonderful and rare sighting - and rather than fleeing they look relaxed. THANK YOU.

When was this?

michael-ibk

Wow, brilliant! Bongos are very high up my wishlist, and even though I will try again for them this year in the Aberdares, I don´t really hold out any hope. What a lucky and fantastic sighting.

Wonderful!

@@PHALANX - a wonderful and rare sighting - and rather than fleeing they look relaxed. THANK YOU.

When was this?

This was, March 2012.

armchair bushman

I'm interested to see a fence and a cement block in the background of some of the photos. Was this within the park? Near farms? What route were you using coming down the mountain? Sirimon, Naro Moru, Chogoria, other?

Edited by armchair bushman

Hi. the fence you see belongs to the few homes that are in the grounds of the Mt Kenya safari club on the edge of the park. We had been visiting someone. I am not sure of the name associated with the road we took, but it is the one from Nanyuki. The fact these Bongo were near where people live probably explains why thy were not to worried when we stopped. Also, I understand the safari club, through the William Holden wildlife foundation, http://www.whwf.org/bongo.html, is part of a programme re-introducing the Bongo back into it's natural habitat. One of the homes belongs to Stephanie Powers who is the WHWF president since his death.

I hope this is of help. AJ

I am so pleased to see these 5. I certainly hope their #s can increase. You must have been both thrilled and surprised to see them.

Amazing sighting!

You're not going to get many posts on this thread. Anyone been hiding their Bongo sightings?

I think I read (so that's not even an opinion, never mind a fact) that Mount Kenya SFari Club had some Bongos in their "zoo". Obviously these are not them, or at least not in the "zoo" but I wonder if they released some captive animals? I always thought (again, note the unreliability) that Bongos were quite shy.

Whatever.....brilliant!

I am so pleased to see these 5. I certainly hope their #s can increase. You must have been both thrilled and surprised to see them.

Yes! both thrilled, surprised and a little stunned.

Amazing sighting!

You're not going to get many posts on this thread. Anyone been hiding their Bongo sightings?

I think I read (so that's not even an opinion, never mind a fact) that Mount Kenya SFari Club had some Bongos in their "zoo". Obviously these are not them, or at least not in the "zoo" but I wonder if they released some captive animals? I always thought (again, note the unreliability) that Bongos were quite shy.

Whatever.....brilliant!

See my reply to @@armchair bushman.

armchair bushman

So if I understand your post correctly, these bongos were OUTSIDE Mt Kenya Safari Club grounds and OUTSIDE Mt Kenya National Park?