NZ Fluttering Shearwaters

pomkiwi

Somewhat of a niche market I acknowledge. We were headed from Auckland to Waiheke Island across the Hauraki Gulf and were acocompanied by a sizeable flock of these small birds flying at 20-25 knotts only centimetres from the water. The light wasn't great and I was using my 'travel lens' (Nikon 18-300mm) attached to a Nikon D7200. 300mm, ISO 400, f6.3, 1/2500 sec. It was a lovely moment and great to be in their company for several minutes. Apologies for the quality of the images which only serve to confirm that any future I have photographing wildlife is not as a birder!

post-50257-0-30639300-1460359774_thumb.jpg

post-50257-0-22351300-1460359777_thumb.jpg

Edited by pomkiwi

~ @@pomkiwi

Such lovely images!

I've seen such shearwaters when in New Zealand but had no camera at that time.

These deserve to be posted in the birds-in-flight thread, as they're so fine.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/9640-birds-in-flight-upload-your-photos/page-6

What I like is how well the images show their close approach to the water surface.

What must it be like, to have the ability to skim over the surface, supported by no more than the atmosphere's predominant nitrogen gas molecules?

Thank you so much for posting these.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie Thank-you for your kind comments and for directing me to yet another corner of ST that I had previously overlooked. Images duely posted there thanks to your encouragement.

offshorebirder

Thanks for sharing the nice photos @@pomkiwi.

Hauraki Gulf is on my bucket list of places to visit - it is renowned among seabirders for Petrels, Storm-Petrels, shearwaters and more. In fact, it is one of the best/only places to see New Zealand Storm-Petrel - a tiny seabird long thought to be extinct, but rediscovered in the early 2000s.