michael-ibk

A Thousand Hills, A Million Smiles & Gentle Giants - a Rwanda and Kenya Safari

michael-ibk

@@Marks !!!!

Good to see you here again, you have been absent for far too long. Welcome back, and thanks for the nice comments.

Marks

@@Marks !!!!

Good to see you here again, you have been absent for far too long. Welcome back, and thanks for the nice comments.

Thank you! The pleasure is all mine; it has definitely been a while, but I couldn't ask for a more pleasant way to reacquaint myself.

Now that I'm all caught up, I see that I don't have too much to say that hasn't been said - but many things deserve repetition: your silhouetted giraffes upon arriving in the Mara, wet hyenas (even if you rarely stopped for them!), nose-horned viper, a fantastic fish eagle series, a very nice leopard, the forest hogs, and many birds that are new to me.

Being situated just outside the reserve, how was the in-camp experience at Aruba Mara?

Very glad your airport incident was resolved quickly.

Tulips

@michael-ibk, Just getting around to reading a whole bunch of Rwanda trip reports now that my trip is less than 3 weeks away. 

I really enjoyed your report and photos.

i had a question about the lens.  You mentioned you used a 400 lens.  Mine is a 100 to 400 and I find at 100 you have to be a reasonable distance away to get anything.  Did you find it absolutely necessary to use this?

Also you mentioned a 2.8 lens.  I have a wide-angle 12-40 2.8.  Would this be enough reach?

xelas
20 hours ago, Tulips said:

i had a question about the lens.  You mentioned you used a 400 lens.  Mine is a 100 to 400 and I find at 100 you have to be a reasonable distance away to get anything.  Did you find it absolutely necessary to use this?

Also you mentioned a 2.8 lens.  I have a wide-angle 12-40 2.8.  Would this be enough reach?

@Tulips

Just in case that Michael is away:

- his is 100-400 zoom like yours. Used on a crop body (7D). 

- your 12-40 f/2.8 is wide enough even on crop body for anything landscape related. Of course, there will not be enough reach if not a close-up portrait :D.

michael-ibk

Thanks, @Tulips, I´m sure you will have a fantastic time, Gorilla trekking is about as magical as wildlife can get.

And what Alex said, I used a 100-400 mm mainly. Check out post #104 in this report, there I described the focal length used of most shots of the first trek. A 2.8 lens will be very useful when it´s terrain with little light, but if you want to go for portrait shots 40 will be too short. You could go through the pictures in my album, if you click on them you see the focal length used for each.

And thank you and very sorry, @Marks, I somehow totally overlooked your post. In-camp experience at Aruba was good, especially since we were almost the only guests. I think it could be very crowded in high season. The location was very good, it´s basically one minute into the reserve, that´s not an issue.  A minor issue, however, is the proximity to Tala village, because one night they had some party over there, and that was pretty audible.

This topic is quite old. Unless updating a photographic thread with new images, please consider starting a new discussion. Thank you.