Tuningi Lodge, Madikwe - the safari for softies

pomkiwi

The hunt

Suddenly from an apparent aimless stroll the female took off.  The male broke into a gentle trot.

DSC_7752.jpg.56f9537b43484c018e9ca0852a1fa4e2.jpg

We heard a loud squeal and drove forward to find the lioness with a warthog piglet.

DSC_7753.jpg.8ff565cc6cbefb1e1a0a034d32a22392.jpg

The male arrived and stared intently at the lioness

DSC_7757.jpg.1dc76ec55756ff5fe18ee622c62b833c.jpg

She continued to choke the life from the warthog and eyed up the male. I think we all knew what was about to happen.

DSC_7756.jpg.1733f8d383fff63c8288301256e34046.jpg

As soon as the piglet was killed the male moved in.

DSC_7758.jpg.fc8b9e0f2a879d2953637f65abd2e739.jpg

He pinned the female down and took the kill from her

DSC_7760.jpg.9f8cb965281c64b97b0f197c679c53df.jpg

DSC_7761.jpg.40588b130d048cccc2ec7155331c77d0.jpg

He proceeded in to a nearby clearing and made short work of his snack.

DSC_7773.jpg.80e0c0df0394afde544f31da21cb5813.jpg

Summing Up

The main reason for going on this trip was achieved - my friend had an easy and very comfortable safari. We saw lots and the sightings at the waterhole as well as the experiences with lions were memorable.  Overall however I was a little disappointed by the unremitting density of the bush in the area we explored and found myself longing for both the open spaces of the Mara and the riverine areas of the Timbavati and Sabi Sands. I have previously discussed my views on the guiding.

Overall an enjoyable time but I will probably not return to the Madikwe.

As always thanks to those who took the time to read, comment or like.

greedy male! but wow you almost saw a hunt but definitely saw the kill and was pretty cool. i'm not sure I would be so cool watching the kill and warthogs make the most awful screams. 

thanks for sharing and I'm glad your friend had a great safari. 

Edited by Kitsafari

@Marks Thank-you. @Kitsafari The lioness was efficient and there was a single scream only. What was fascinating was that the male waited but moved inas soon as the piglet stopped breathing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that I'm slightly awed by the idea of going on safari for, essentially, a long weekend. I suppose it's slightly easier to do from the U.K. than from the US, but not by all that much. I also think it's very kind of you to arrange this trip for your friend, and with so many of her needs and interests in mind.

The incidents with the rhino and the brown hyena would have driven me quite mad -- you sound much more patient that I would have felt. No doubt because of this, you were rewarded with some really lovely cheetah pictures and a very exciting lion sighting. I am so glad you and your friend ended up with some very good sightings, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

• 2 weeks later...

@hannahcat  It is very easy to manage a long weekend from the UK :) From both London and Birmingham (my local airport) it is possible to leave my desk at 5pm and be on the afternoon drive in South Africa the following afternoon. Coming home I can leave after the mornig drive and be back at my desk by 8.30 the following morning.  There are a large number of airlines and routes into JNB which keeps costs down.

....And I don't work on Monfdays in any event!

@pomkiwi As if I wasn't jealous enough already of my friends in the UK! Good strong tea, great accents, and the ability to go on safari for a long weekend ... sounds like paradise to me. :D

@pomkiwi

Thanks for sharing your report with us, and sorry to be such a late arrival. I've long wanted to visit Madikwe. We were in South Africa for a short time in July, but I just couldn't make the logistics work out. 

One of of the reasons I'd like to go is because of the regular sightings of brown hyena, and it looks like you got a dose. I am surprised by the guiding issues you report. Sorry if I missed it, but how many people did they put in your vehicle?  I don't think I could have restrained myself from saying something -- very politely, of course.   

@Alexander33 Welcome along and thanks for your kind comments. There were 6 of us in the vehicle and all of us fairly relaxed I think. I have commented earlier on about the guiding and probably best just to say that my impression is that he was very, very keen to get a leopard sighting. 

• 10 months later...
vikramghanekar

Nice trip report! Going to Africa for a long weekend! That's something :-)

Brown hyena and Black rhino alone make this trip a success!

I am considering Madikwe in May 2019 as an introductory safari for my wife and 5 year old son. Some friends and family members may accompany us as well. Do you think it would be a good experience for 1st timers? However, would prefer a lodge with guides capable of delivering a quality experience than chasing big cats :-) .

Thanks for sharing the report. Not too many on Madikwe in this forum.

Cheers

Vikram

@vikramghanekar Thanks. Have a look at my report on the Bush House also in the Madikwe. I would certainly recommend that lodge and the experience was rather more rounded. It is a good lodge for kids and the underground hide is a real bonus. The only drawback is that there may up to 10 on a single vehicle but that may be less of an issue if you are a big group.

Hi @pomkiwi I am looking at booking 3 nights at http://www.buffaloridgesafari.com/ in Madikwe for my family when we visit South Africa in Dec/Jan later this year.

It does look like Madikwe has good overall sightings and with abit of luck we might see brown hyena and wild dogs.

@Hads It looks like a nice lodge (I know nothing about it myself). I've seen brown hyena on both of my Madikwe trips but the dogs were denning elsewhere - hopefully you will have more luck. Where else are you travelling in South Africa?

On 8/11/2018 at 11:29 AM, pomkiwi said:

The only drawback is that there may up to 10 on a single vehicle but that may be less of an issue if you are a big group.

I lead 3 or 4 trips to southern Africa per year. With more folks traveling on safari every year, I'm finding it more and more difficult to convince lodges to allow me to only have 2 people per row on the game drive vehicles. At some lodges I have to pay a premium. At other lodges, they will agree to adding a vehicle on game drives if more than 8 plan to go out. This is an issue you need to investigate long before you go on the trip as lodges also have logistics needs and planning to do. For example, they may only have traversing rights for x number of vehicles and the lodge has sold rooms that require 8 to 10 on each vehicle. Another thing is they have to schedule enough rangers on rotation during your stay to make fewer per vehicle. If the lodge has a 'sister lodge', it's easier to free up extra vehicles to put fewer per vehicle. For example, in Madikwe, there is Jaci's Lodge and Jaci's Tree Lodge, each having several vehicles. (BTW, an excellent set of lodges)

@pomkiwiI am off to Kruger in January for 8 nights with my father in law again doing a Self drive - 2 nights Shimuwini, 4 Satara and 2 nights Biyamati.

We also have a week on the coast near Durban.

@buddy4344 I agree that there seems to be an increasing number of lodges squeezing 9 or 10 in a vehicle especially in South Africa. As you suggest I always ask before booking. I have noticed that some lodges will give a large group of 7 or 8 their own vehicle and not add a couple of strangers (also some groups seem to have a good time on crowded vehicles when I would not).

TA used to have a thread in the Kruger forum identifying which lodges restricted to 6 guests per vehicle but it was getting out of date and I haven't looked in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

My safari companion passed away this afternoon - but we saw the giraffes.........   :)

DSC_7920.jpg.e664feb888aabfcb50c0334e9ceaf9f0.jpg

Edited by pomkiwi

My condolences, to you and to her family. But she was on safari, and she saw giraffes, and so much more!

My sincerest condolences to those who stay behind.

@pomkiwi deepest condolences to you and her loved ones. you gave her many reasons for her smiles when she was on safari. 

On 9/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, pomkiwi said:

My safari companion passed away this afternoon 

Condolences from ST HQ.

Comments above from you all to @pomkiwi reflect just what a positive place ST can be. Thanks for making it so.

Matt

Our condolences to you and all those who benefited from her. She is, no doubt, in a better place: Happy hunting grounds.