Lewa conservancy and safari camp a place of the heart and soul

COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

I  am  still feeling  a bit  tired 

All the camps  in the reserve  are elaborate as raising  a considerable  funding  from a relatively small  number  of   visitors  is part of the way  the reserve operates  

to raise  this   a certain  price needs to be charged  which nearly  everyone  would expect luxury facilities  

the camp  is lavish  without being opulent

COSMIC RHINO

the vehicle  allocation  at Lewa  Safari  Camp  is generous  , fiting  a maximum of 6  guests

all  the guides  are well informed, explain things  easily  , intimately  know the reserve , and are safe careful drivers 

the drives  are flexible to suit the guests  involved 

most people  on my observation  enjoy both the luxury of the camp  , and their gameviewing activities  , stay   2 or 3 nights  and don't know  a whole lot about   the reserve before arriving

they  expect  a typical reserve  , with a typical  representation of animals, not realising that they are in a dedidicated endangered species reserve  with few predators

people  want to see lions, which  while possible  is not easy  , there are 26 lions in 62,000 acres 

this year  I saw them briefly 3 times  in 14 days,  if I  remember  correctly  last year it was  once or twice in  14 days  

I  go to the camp  as a base for getting into the  bush  , spend the maximum amount  of time in the bush  and as little time as possible in the bush  , skip the sundowners   and go on finding more  animals  

It could  be said that  I am a man on a mission  to connect  with wild Africa here  and now,  and everything else is  a detail.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

offshorebirder

Here are some photos @COSMIC RHINO sent me as PDFs from scanned photos, which I converted to JPEGs.

Giraffe with Mt. Kenya in the background

Giraffe_MtKenya.jpg.74f3c4da5c81775db4cc3815f8fc6596.jpg

Giraffes mating 1

Giraffe_mating.jpg.e81fb90537192ad316d01af779a5a26e.jpg

Giraffes mating 2

Giraffe_mating2.jpg.6d716e7cc4b043ffe5c1f7ccfba25c7f.jpg

Giraffes hanging around

Giraffes-Lewa.jpg.2353f10391bb6d780b25158f3979654a.jpg

Giraffes, Plains Zebras, Elephants

Giraffe_Zebras_Elephants.jpg.a3880db7cd23565157e5768093c4ddd5.jpg

Giraffes silhouette

Giraffe_silhouette.jpg.1ab5c9969d476510610c7fc14c965c72.jpg

Lovely photos of the giraffes, especially the last silhouette, @COSMIC RHINO

@COSMIC RHINO  great photographs. I'll be honest, I have never seen giraffe's mating so that elicited  a "wow" when I saw it. I really like the one with the giraffes, ellies and zebras-  shows the diversity so well in just that one area.

COSMIC RHINO

I  use a advanced compact camera  mainly on auto setting, then switch  to dawn/dusk  or sunset at the relevant times

it is light and has a high zoom  

I will take photos on the  move and when the vehicle is pulling out of the siting if the viewing is good

I  have never really done  manual  photogaphy  

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

the  guide commented that a group of giraffes  were getting close  ,so we went in closer  

I  am always   looking around for animals  especially  different animals near  each other  

I  especially like  the rear view of the giraffes with zebras  and elephants  

COSMIC RHINO

The guides  explain animals, plants  , natural processes  and Lewa  conservancy very well  and in detail

my  sitings  tend to be longer  , if I  am in a good situation  , I  tend to stay around  ,  and  the vehicle  moves  a bit  depending  on  what the  animals  are doing  

If  I  am concentrating  on particular animals  my guide  will tell me  if someone  else turns up

I  like photographing  animals  with a good scenic background  , attractive  trees , termite  mounds  , their young etc

I  try  to avoid  buildings and the elephant control fences which  are there  to try to keep them out of the  areas which are  important to  black rhinos.

at all times  I  try to avoid  the bars  which support  the  canvas top of  the vehicle   or anything like  that

it is best to take pictures from eye  level ,standing up  is not usually a good look

more recently  I  have found that  waist  level  or crouching gives  an attractive view  

it  is a matter of observing things  ,animals are on the move 

it is helpful to know  that white  rhinos tend to eat in a circular pattern

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

I  take  pictures  for my memory  and for  the absolute  beauty  of nature

My special interests  are not that well  represented  in books , so I  take my own  and I  think some of them are  better than ok 

I  am  there  to see things at their  best  which  means  taking good  time

animals  will do  things  the way they will  give it time

this  is nothing like  photos  with people , you  can't ask  them to move  or do things for  them  like you  would with a fashion model   

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

HYNEA  PACK 

A pack  OF 29 has been translocated  from the  reserve as they  had developed the habit of attacking  new born  rhino calves 

RHINOS 

• they  tend to start moving early around 5 AM  so they can  get moistures from the overnight dew on plants
  • they continue  to breed well, some  black rhinos  have been moved to other  reserves
  • white rhinos originated  in STH Africa  and have  not  been  moved  as this needs a memo of understanding  with the  Sth African government
  • there are many recently   born calves , with white rhinos  the previous  female calf   sets  up home    near her mother  to help reject  with enthuaism  male  attempts  to  be amourous
  • they charge at  the male and scream  , the message is  go away  

COSMIC RHINO

ISOLO  VALLEY 

• this  is a special area  with  great giraffes ,good  white  rhinos  and elephants  and well worth a special  visit  or  two
  • it is well  away from  all the  camps  except  Lewa  House
  • the main waterhole  has a piped  supply of clean water  put in by  Lewa  conservancy to  spread out the  animals

offshorebirder

I am working on converting and posting the latest round of photos @COSMIC RHINO sent me.  

But I had to post this one right away, as it is a lovely scene.  Sonya seems absolutely comfortable with the Lewa guides and vehicles.

Sonya and her calf at Lewa:

Sonya_calf_Lewa1.jpg.4092e6935a21c909fa15a5ce1cb76441.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Some more Black Rhino photos from @COSMIC RHINO's most recent Lewa trip that I helped him convert and post:

Sonya and Calf

Sonya_calf_Lewa2.jpg.14f1f8d5af42873c242926291428d32a.jpg

Sonya_calf_Lewa3.jpg.02652d964dc3099d4e5b9771828bdeb2.jpg

Sonya_newcalf_Lewa1.jpg.0b07d514799ee38ec8c00f92eac5fafa.jpg

offshorebirder

Cheetah mother and cubs:

Cheetah_mother_cub_Lewa1.jpg.87f42d586be5da28edbcb1faca5b1611.jpg

Cheetah_Lewa1.jpg.f60e79a7c7ccba7a40e145949f344fdc.jpg

Cheetah_Lewa2_3.jpg.8b221bb5f052a3bfff1c4ea8a8b7604f.jpg

Cheetah_mother_cub_Lewa2.jpg.0b12d92088a015117e3b8b15196e534f.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

COSMIC RHINO

CHEETAH   AND CUBS  

On one afternoon drive   someone was keen on cheetahs  , guides started  looking  for  them

there are  some  in the reserve but they are not easy to find

a radio call came in from  one of the  other guides that  a mother  with cubs  was in the  large open area  near camp  

she has 3  cubs and needs to hunt regulary,  as you can  see she is a bit on the lean side  

most of the photos  which have been posted  were taken from  the vehicle which was moving  at a slow  speed

there were  some  Grant' s gazelles   which she started  to stalk  and when she  went in for her  final charge  the vehicles  just  stayed  where they were 

unfortunately  she missed  her prey  , so just laid    down to pant  

when the cheetah  goes in on the final charge,  which has to be short  , as they cannot  maintain  high speeds for long  , the gazelle  makes  a  distictive  jump in the air  

they can be observed  practicing  this  alone in the absence  of cheetahs

STALKY PLANTS

theses  are in a number  of  photos including the cheetahs

they are the  remains  of the wild hibiscus which grew in many  areas  in 2018 to a great  hight    

in places  they were  high enough  to make  it difficult to see  elephants  

they will no longer be around  once elephants  eat all of what  remains including the roots

COSMIC RHINO

it  is going to take  a  while to get over jet lag , it is hitting me heavily  now 

SONYA  AND HER CALF  

• She is  named after  the American  woman  who sponsor where  at a massive  annual cost
  • she  has become  calmer as she  has aged
  • she has changed  her range  by a considerable distance   
  • the new area which she  ranges in is the same  as where members  of surrounding communities  are given special permission to graze their cattle which prevents  an excessive buildup of thick grass
  • thus she has  become more accustomed  to being around people  and easier  to approach       
  •  the last photo in post 215 was put in for aged comparism her calf  was under 1 month old , the other photos show  the calf approaching  1 year  old 
  • over the time I was there  I saw her with her calf about 3 or 4 times  close enough to take photos

LEWA  COMMUNITY GRAZING SCHEME  

• This was introduced as an alternative  to burning firebreaks 
  • deposits of cattle  dung assist  in  regrowth  of the  grass
  • research  shows  that  this is better overall for the land soil micro organisms  are not burnt , and  small birds, lizards  and  other reptiles  are  not  killed by flames  

Sonya is a stunner.......

COSMIC RHINO

if  genetics mean anything Sonya's calf could easily  have  large  horns 

for her  seduction please see  post 124 on page  5

offshorebirder
On 6/9/2019 at 1:23 AM, COSMIC RHINO said:

she  has become  calmer as she  has aged

Don't we all!   :-)

Here are some more photos I helped @COSMIC RHINO convert.

White Rhinos sparring

Rhinos_sparring.jpg.db859b0ab75a3dff655a8bc06c35234e.jpg

Rhino calves and adult

Rhinos_calves_adult_Lewa.jpg.810e51b156162cb42d025c54d8773a1b.jpg

Giraffe striding

Giraffe_Striding.jpg.cc11bdac85b12c66d0f0903ae742d5be.jpg

Giraffe mating

Giraffe_mating.jpg.f376090ec2ac44b34c70090c2ad1b431.jpg

Mixed game herd at Lewa

Mixed_game_herd-Lewa.jpg.ae414fd162b377ab025c5852b9431f42.jpg

COSMIC RHINO

the  white  rhinos at Isiolo  Valley  are very friendly  , they are often seen together  and  sometimes  get close  

I  have  a photo  of 2 young  ones  who actually  look like they are  kissing , this one  has  not been sent  on  for posting  

in that  area  I  saw  and extended  greeting  ceremony  

if  there  is any conflict  it is with  males  in the mood for love  when they are not  wanted by the  female  or   with  males  over territory to get frisky with   females    

COSMIC RHINO

YOUNGER FAMILIES

can easily be looked  after at the camp  

during my stay at different times  there were 2 different couple, one with a 13  month old baby,  the other with a 4 year old child

both  went out on their  own vehicles  and had gamedrives  on a brief stay

in the case of the 4 yr old  they had an earlier dinner time

offshorebirder

Here is the photo of the young rhinos apparing to be kissing that @COSMIC RHINO mentioned.

White_Rhinos_greeting.jpg.c7d0681ce169d86424ed13d7e51849e5.jpg

offshorebirder

White Rhinos and Cattle Egrets

White_Rhinos_Cattle_Egrets-Lewa.jpg.401016479c9410823d3e0fa563c32d22.jpg

White Rhino calves sparring

White_Rhino_calves_sparring-Lewa.jpg.2409f447f083edcce600d26851131e8e.jpg

White Rhino adults with calf

White_Rhinos_with_calf-Lewa.jpg.8c9b5425ff2f12ad75b2da1ed1335479.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

@COSMIC RHINO's description of these scenes:  "Elephant Grief Ceremony - gently touching bones".

What a privilege to witness!

Elephant_grief_ceremony2.jpg.8ee0e87072b1f1ccb034cb2d835ea5fc.jpg

Elephant_grief_ceremony3.jpg.93d1efa717cda7ea808ca2404e8f41a0.jpg

Elephant_grief_ceremony.jpg.6fb92ab1b3b3169713aa814c8b26506c.jpg

Elephant_grief_ceremony4.jpg.bf37f54e18a92e79df761f15d5683026.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

michael-ibk

That's a fascinating scene indeed! Very enjoyable report @COSMIC RHINO, great pictures! It's easy to understand why you love Lewa so much.