Namibia 2017: firsttimers a bit rushed trip

garito01

Thanks @xelas and @Peter Connan. But I've not finished yet :P. The report itself might be over, but if you're not fed up yet I will still post a few more pictures in the evening.

Greg

OK, here are a couple more, which are representative for part of our journey:

43025860741_095e7fd7aa_b.jpg

42975707242_f2224444cc_b.jpg

41215296160_9efaecfdd3_b.jpg

42975705672_3df90a2226_b.jpg

41215295530_8a24086aae_b.jpg

42975704742_f819be92f1_b.jpg

42975709142_64ef373cd1_b.jpg

Greg

Beautiful light on lion's photo, great composition from Deadvlei, and some art added ... well done, @garito01!

Stunningly beautiful photos. 

@xelas, thanks. If by art you mean this oh-my-gosh-I-do-not-know-what-that-is picture it was something completely random :). Just a shutter buttun unintentionally pressed when walking to the Deadvlei. But it somehow caught my eye when reviewing pictures on my PC. However, when first perusing on camera I was ready to trash it.

Thanks for your opinion, @Ritsgaai

And finally the last batch of bonus pictures:

42327665564_af6e07ec90_b.jpg

41235778680_1e0577d70f_b.jpg

42327663964_51ba890840_b.jpg

41235778050_b657916ea3_b.jpg

41235777430_4238758d21_b.jpg

42327662394_b5183e8df6_b.jpg

I hope you will enjoy it.

Greg

Peter Connan

Beautiful!

Indeed, beautiful photos, and some new views for me. Thanks a lot, Greg!

Once again many thanks for comments @Peter Connan and @xelas! Greatly appreciated.

@xelas, can you tell me what you mean by new views for you? Honestly, in my opinion it verges on impossible to surprise you with anything as afr as Namibia is concerned (and most probably not only).;)

@garito01

New to me are #2, #3, #4 and #5 from your last post. Not like subjects but like angles, approaches, positioning of the subject in the landscape, etc. Your photos are refreshingly different, and of course their IQ is consistently high. BTW have you already started to plan your next trip to Namibia?

@xelas, I got it now. This is something I am also constantly trying to improve and always strive to get it right in camera. As for the plans - not ready yet, but I keep it in the beack of my head. 

Hi,

Didn't I say a couple of posts ago it was going to be the last batch of bonus pictures? … Yeah, I did. And I'm gonna stick to this – no batch. But I did not say anything about a single picture :). So, this time round this is the last picture I'm going to post.

This is my picture at Mesosaurus, which … I have not managed to take … ?¿? # ? image.png.7ac35e1b6dd66aa76ab59be933cc9a48.png:

28204187147_fd3167250d_b.jpg

cheers

Greg

image.png

Another stunner, @garito01! Speaking of last picture, you have not said that you will not post any more night sky photos ... Milky Way etc ?! If you have one, then do this fellow traveller and (envious) reader a favuor! Please?!

Thanks, @xelas. I need to be serious and trustworthy; If I sad this was the last picture I need to stand by this. :D

I really hoped someone would pick it up and ask why I had said it was MY picture while NOT having taken it. But OK, I feel I should disclose it even not being asked. So, the reason goes back to the story with the tires when prior to this we were spending a golden hour in the quiver tree forest. Already then I had everything regarding this picture envisioned in my head. I found the location with a dolerite rock of a right shape and height and with a quiver tree next to it. In fact I was checking up on the location and the star constellations' position at home a couple of months before departure. I was using the app that is able to visualize the stars and their elevation on a specific day at a specific time. It puts it on top of the map which gives you an AR view. That helped a lot for planning the shot. But I was not going to take it. When we had the second flat tire I was afraid to go back to the forest and risk a disaster. Honestly, I was dead scared. After e bit of hesitation, finally, a common sense told me I should stay where I was and try to find a workaround. And the workaround was to have a startrail shot next to our chalet and then to work on it further in post processing. When most of the lights were off I spent like 2 hours taking those shots. I was staying in our chalet and only was checking from time to time if everything was OK as it was pretty chilly outside. When it finished I just took my gear and went to bed.

As you might have guessed by now this picture is a composite of 2 pictures. And that's the ONLY composite I have made during my trip. Remember, I said earlier I am striving to make it right in camera. But sometimes you just have to resort to some extra measures. While scouting for the right rock and tree I have taken the shot of these in the afternoon and then in post I made a day-to-night conversion of it. I used it as a foreground and dropped the startrails as a background. In my opinion it blended quite nicely. But I would appreciate if any of you fellow travelers/photographers tell me whether this looks natural or not knowing how it was done.

So, that's all there is to it.

thanks

Greg

No picture of night sky and Milky Way ... yet a great story to finish this trip! And telling us the story, it also leaves us with hope that you will be back to Namibia, so all the preparation of scouting that perfect location will not be in vain :)!

Yeah, you're teasing me all the time ;). But I do not have to be convinced, I'm already sold on it.

• 3 weeks later...
The_Norwegian

all great stuff, thx for the trip :-) 

• 11 months later...
vikramghanekar

@garito01 I don't know how I missed this TR for such a long time.  It's absolutely fantastic with some stunning pictures. 

• 2 years later...

What a fabulous trip and an inspiring account! Thank you so much for sharing this.  My first safari was a self drive in Namibia, it was wonderful but we did struggle a bit with the glare in Etosha. I particularly enjoyed the wonderful colours in your photos, as well as the clarity and the breathtaking composition of course! Hope your health has been good and that your adventures will continue.