On 11/19/2017 at 4:07 AM, michael-ibk said:

Even if it is successful, after all they only need half the tourists to get the same revenue, which should be doable, it means less jobs for guides and lodge staff. Given the pressure the park faces from all sides this could become a big problem, and they will have to make sure that the local communities get some benefit from this.

@michael-ibk

This is the issue that really has me questioning this low-volume, high-return business model that is being pursued. From a conservation standpoint, this approach may yield more revenue per visitor with less impact on the gorillas, but what about the local people whose livelihoods depend on a certain degree of tourist volume?  

Under the current plan, local communities are supposed to receive a larger share of revenue from each permit sold than under the previous fee schedule.  However, how will that replace the jobs that likely will be lost on account of lower tourist numbers, the cooks, housekeeping staffs and other employees at hotels, the guys that depend on tips for each pair of boots they clean, the poachers-turned-porters? 

Again, it will be interesting to see how this turns out, but it is cause for concern. 

taylorqobrien

@Alexander33 

All very good points--some of which I hadn't considered. Yes, I think it would be great for the gorillas that there would be less people seeing them, but the lower volume does affect the bottom line for people that are employed due to tourism. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, Alexander33 said:

Okay, I think we may be close enough to creating a Charles Fan Club here. I'm in.....

I'm very late here @Alexander33 but you're pics and descriptions of the gorillas are great and I will add my name to the Charles fan club as we also saw him in 2005. Of course we had a steep 2 to 3 climb up to see them so you definitely had the difficulty advantage. 

On 9/18/2017 at 3:12 AM, Dave Williams said:

Each and every photo is superb. The light looks challenging though.

+1 on this and then some. I think the light is my biggest worry that we will get any decent shots and while I know we won't get pics anywhere near yours I hope we get a few keepers.

59bf2bd89f2f9_NtambaraBabyIIJPG.thumb.jpg.a3a49ea142c970a4d5f0e96e52dd74e4.jpg

And while I apologize for the double post I just had to say this little guy is awesome. Even though I'm sick as a dog this report brought a grin and some happy memories back for me. I must say that my visit to the museum in Butare was vastly different than your and @Towlersonsafari. I really agree with you as well on staying in one country as I'm doing the same in Uganda and even with 22 nights I'm still having to make cuts I don't want to.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this and showing so many great photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Alexander33

@dlo

Thanks for your kind words. I’m glad the report brought back good memories for you. 22 nights in Uganda?  Yes, I’m officially jealous!  Have a great trip. I can’t wait to hear all about it. 

I'm glad DLO commented on your thread and brought the entire TR up again in my notification list. Work kept me busy in the last quarter and this TR got pushed down and out of sight. Fortunately, now I had the pleasure of enjoying the entire report in one go and your photos of the gorillas were brilliant. i also love the photos of the colobus monkeys. I'm not a great fan of chimps - I still can't figure why?! - but the colobus were stunning. 

thanks for taking time to do the TR and sharing with us!

Alexander33
13 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

I'm not a great fan of chimps - I still can't figure why?! 

@Kitsafari

Maybe because they are so similar to us? :blink:  They can really be mean.  But, for me, the jury is still out. We just had the one trek with the chimps, and I was still in gorilla heaven, so I’d like to give them another, more intensive chance someday. 

Thanks for tuning back in. I appreciate your kind remarks.