Hot in the Valley! South Luangwa Sept 27th - Oct 14th 2017

Geoff

Out takes and Take outs

This was my third visit to Kaingo & Mwamba. The recently refurbished Kaingo chalets are more than adequate for a comfortable safari home.

Kaingo Chalet

Kaingo-Chalet.thumb.jpg.fc7941d0e94a242bb266027023a4f3e2.jpg

There's another bed to the left out of picture.

Kaingo-Chalet-2.thumb.jpg.ac4c062d862a7fd77b8b7ed0c9161755.jpg

Kaingo means leopard in the local dialect and it really lived up to its moniker. During my 10 night stay I witnessed sixteen leopard sightings.

Over 30% of my images from my stay are of leopards.  

Leopards-mating-Kaingo_G8A0095.thumb.jpg.48159423a55f39b71a9330523603dc50.jpg

Mwamba seems to get better and better. Craig & Lyndie (the current managers) have put their own stamp on the camp and their team do an amazing job preparing this camp from scratch for the start of the season.

Mwamba Brunch & afternoon tea site.

5a3cae6e6d898_Mwamba-brunch--tea-area.thumb.jpg.28ac9af4b324a4015e9bbd88407aa17a.jpg

Mwamba brunch. Pancakes yum.

Mwamba-Brunch.thumb.jpg.cbab0f70b37fff0ec0b7dfdd49ded058.jpg 

Both the ‘Hippo’ hide and the ‘Last Waterhole’ hide add that extra dimension to the game viewing and also provide something to do during the daily down time between game drives.  

Grey-Heron-Kaingo_G8A7359-1.thumb.jpg.1d8c8b27ee2f1a644c44c06d0e0a8214.jpg

Hippo-Kaingo_G8A2840.thumb.jpg.d0bd8e0e5d0f5fe785cedbc3e56f4016.jpg

The guiding team is top notch and fun to be with. They love their job and work really hard at finding things. 

Whilst these camps are expensive they are well worth considering on any visit to SLNP.

Grey Loerie ~ 'Go Away Geoff'

Grey-Lowrie-Mwamba_G8A0649.thumb.jpg.b2a4bc9fc56db97503769e3925f94eee.jpg

Towlersonsafari

@Geoff my wife often makes the cry of the Grey lourie but that is probably too much information! a wonderful report and Merry Christmas

Fantastic portrait!

Kaingo has undergone a transformation and looks posh. The double doors probably allow more breeze through into the room during the heat of the day; I remember it was always hot inside the room. that cement deck looks more inviting with chairs and a concrete bench. do they still have that private deck over the river for lunch?

hoping Im not hijacking Geoff's TR, here's a relook at the chalet's previous facade to show the contrast to the current more inviting front: 

5a41b43182804_kaingooldchalet.thumb.JPG.662597da34f58c5a43ccab5160af9451.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

5 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

hoping Im not hijacking Geoff's TR

No problem @Kitsafari  ~ Yes, the refurbished chalets are a definite improvement. In fact Derek mentioned to me that he felt a bit embarrassed that he had not done the renovations earlier.

@Geoff, just so much going on and you've been in the thick of it. Quite a few "firsts" in there for you. Looking right down the Hippos gullet....scary. Really appreciating your photography.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a wonderful TR and ripping photo's @Geoff

The wild dogs have awesome markings - plenty of white in them.

Love the Elephant shrew pic as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest everyone.

I've decided to start another thread for the Robin Pope portion of my safari ~ Nsefu camp & Luangwa River Camp. It can be found here.

Well I'm only just catching up with this report and its making me wonder if I should even bother with my own SLNP report :)  So many great sightings and excellent photos! We had such a different experience, I can only think we went to the wrong camps. If we ever return, I will surely make a point to stay at Kaingo.

Now I'll be interested to see what you have to say about the Nsefu sector....

@Geoff I have just skipped to the end of your report to see if it was finished. Once I finish my own report in the Tanzania section I will be coming straight back here to read yours thoroughly. That hippo shot is magic!