The Kafue Experience

LarsS

offshorebirder

Just had to use the "unlike" feature for the first time - did not expect drone video...

On 12-11-2017 at 8:40 PM, ForWildlife said:

Great report! Was the snared lion reported to GRI and/or ZCP?

Thanks!

Yes, they were aware of the lion. I'm not entirely sure, but I think ZCP darted the lion to remove the snare. When we saw the lion, the snare itself wasn't around the leg anymore. The next day we met a car of ZCP who were trying to find the lion to check up on how he was recovering. They thought he should be fine.

Now we're on the subject: poaching is a good reason to visit Kafue as a tourist. I was told multiple times by several people that it is very important more tourists come to Kafue. It will mean more money coming in, more activity of cars and people which makes it harder for poachers to stay unnoticed. I'll post an update about it later, got some pictures that I'll ask if I can repost them here. They are not pretty, although not too explicit either, may be you and others find them interesting.

ZCP reported on 13th November on FB that they had desnared the leg of a lioness from the Kamasot pride. The lioness condition was reported to them by Jeffrey and McKeith Safaris. Is this the one @LarsS ?

Edited by wilddog

10 minutes ago, wilddog said:

ZCP reported on 13th November on FB that they had desnared the leg of a lioness from the Kamasot pride. The lioness condition was reported to them by Jeffrey and McKeith Safaris. Is this the one @LarsS ?

That should be another lion. The one we saw was a male and around Fig Tree, which is a long drive from Museke where Jeffrey and McKeith are operating. Also we were there beginning of October.

So sad these things happen. Really hope they will get better control over the situation soon.

14 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Just had to use the "unlike" feature for the first time - did not expect drone video...

Sorry @offshorebirder if it upset you. I know people have mixed opinions about these things. I do wanna explain that I talked with the other 3 guests and camp staff about it and gave them every opportunity to say they didn't want me to fly it and if so, I really wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't even use it if I would suspect someone prefers not to, even if they don't say so. So, if I would happen to meet you in camp, I would have left it in my bag no problem.

Ofcourse, I didn't flew it close to animals and only the shots around camp you see in the video and only for less than 10 minutes. If used responsibly, I don't see more harm in flying a drone than driving around in a car. I respect you and others think different about it.

At home it seemed a better idea when I was in the park and was in doubt if I would fly it. I do know that next time I'll leave it at home, that might reassure you. I think if we would discuss this, I think we'll come to a point where we have to agree to disagree, but the outcome from my experience is a positive one for you as I won't do it again.

Edited by LarsS

@LarsS I'm not in favour of tourists using drones in National Parks but I appreciate the consideration you obviously gave to its use beforehand and your measured response to the issue and your thoughts now that it's been raised.

Look forward to more of your posts about my favourite park.

Glad you like the report so far @Caracal You can continue enjoying it as you've seen the all of the drone footage already. :) 

offshorebirder

Sounds like you are a good and conscientious drone operator @LarsS - I applaud your checking with staff and other guests before using the drone.   And for only using it around camp and not in the presence of wildlife.

If everyone was that responsible, the world would be a better place!

It's wednesday again, so time for a new video. We're leaving Fig Tree camp and drive from there to the Busanga Plains. Pretty long ride, about 350km which took us 6-7 hours. As a result it's a bit of a transition day (and video). I thought it was interesting to see the change of landscape. The landscape of Busanga is so different compared to central Kafue, that it felt like visiting a whole other park.

What a wonderful way to capture a safari! I'm planning for my next trip(s) to Africa and your videos give a good sense of the camps and the different areas. I have to say I'm with @elefromoz, though, that hammock experience would be too much for me!

Really enjoying this report. 

On our first whole day on Busanga Plains four elephants decided to visit the camp and they passed our tent at about 25 meters probably. Bit strange in hindsight that I was just standing there watching them, when considering the news of the people that were killed by elephants and were just on about the same distance.

Hope you enjoy my 5th safari vlog!

Lovely video of the Busanga Plains camp. I had the same tent a year ago. Great views and total privacy. Thanks for sharING. 

Thanks @wilddog! What a coincidence you stayed in the same tent. I think it is the best one in camp because of the privacy :) Btw, did you also had strong winds on the plains? I was surprised by it, seemed like certain times of the day the winds were strong and then just disappeared.

Edited by LarsS

No, no strong winds but quite misty/smokey in the mornings partially due to the fires just outside the park.

@LarsS  Just loving these vlogs!!   I stayed in the Busanga area a few years ago and loved it....  it's been fun to watch these- bringing back some good memories.

Loved the latest vlog @LarsS and I found the opening and closing scenes with the mist sunrise and sunset particularly atmospheric.

Posting this video a bit late, but had some troubles uploading it to Youtube last night. So posting this here now. You might not think it, but my goal is every wednesday to keep things going.

So, here it is: the video of day 6 of the Kafue Experience. Another day on the Busanga Plains. A great day on which we spent a lot of time with a lioness on her fresh kill. We had a bush lunch ourselves too and at night a private diner under the stars in front of our own tent. It was a great day, although I feel I should have filmed more to show it better in this video. Still hope you like it again though.

Thoroughly enjoying the vids @LarsS  Post #35 would make a good promotional vid for Busanga Plains Camp.

I also really like this unconventional format for a report - you really did a very good job with the videos! A beautiful Roan there, and the Lioness with kill was pretty cool.

LOL @LarsS

I'm not sure which was supposed to be the "explicit footage at 4:10"... the lioness eating lunch, or you shirtless in the boudoir? haha

7 hours ago, ZaminOz said:

LOL @LarsS

I'm not sure which was supposed to be the "explicit footage at 4:10"... the lioness eating lunch, or you shirtless in the boudoir? haha

Hahaha! I'll make sure I'm decent in the future ;)

Here it is: the video of the final day of my safari in Kafue National Park and definitely one of the best days on safari ever!

It was my first time ever in a hot air balloon and what an amazing experience it was! After we landed I was speechless and needed some time to let it all sink in. (This was actually a birthday present for my wife, but afterwards I wasn't sure anymore if it was a present for her or me ;) )

We ended the day with an evening game drive from Mukambi's main lodge and finally saw a leopard, I wonder if you can spot it as it isn't good footage. Luckily in real life we had a better sighting as the leopard crossed the road in front of our car before it quickly disappeared in the bush.

Hope you enjoy it! (I'll update this later with some additional pictures and things I think I'd like to share which I haven't yet in the videos.)

Edited by LarsS

The balloon flight really looks wonderful, and it certainly brought you into areas of Busanga otherwise totally inaccessible - beautiful!