Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

9) Firecrest

Well, it was my intention not to stick anything on my BY which I felt wasn't of a certain standard and already I have found myself failing! However, in this particular case I doubt I'll photograph another this year as this is the first photo I have ever managed and only the second time I have seen one. The glimpse was fleeting, I got this one shot and it was off again. Taken in poor light and through a thin reed bed. Hey, I'm making excuses when I should be chuffed but I have just seen a photo of another specimen further down the coast and I feel slightly deflated as theirs is pin sharp!

Look on the bright side 2 new birds compared to last year already!

27802302299_56e4df1803_b.jpgFirecrest    Regulus ignicapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams

By coincidence I saw a Blackcap at our feeder this morning. It didn't stay long enough for me to get a photo!

Firecrest - I think you did well to see it. You photo is clear and identifiable, and given how they jump about, I would certainly be pleased with it. 

Dave Williams
On 07/01/2018 at 9:00 AM, Dave Williams said:

@elefromoz The weather here on the North Wales coast is quite mild really, we get a little frost on occasions but snow is rare. However, the mountains of Snowdonia are pretty close by and they are often covered white. 

Cold and sunny is great, mild and grey depressing. We seem to get too much of the latter although the forecast for the next two days is the former.:o

@elefromoz Having said how mild it is here on the North Wales coast, today it was the second consecutive day of gloriously sunny weather but with it came frost. Here for a change is a Common Snipe out in the open demonstrating the ability to walk on water!

25709670718_5e2ef7f5e9_b.jpgCommon Snipe  Gallinago gallinago by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

10) European Robin

The Robin features in all things Christmas so if I'm putting one on my BY might as well follow that theme even if the Festive Season is over. This one kept on moving too close for my big lens so the depth of field is compromised at F5.6. Fluffed up to keep out the cold, that's frost it's stood on but it's a cobweb on it's bill.

25709670228_75060253eb_b.jpgEuropean Robin   Erithacus rubecula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

11) Eurasian Siskin

This one, a male, was sat very close to my Firecrest but the view was a bit more open. Once again, down at the local reserve they will head off inland when it gets milder I imagine.

24712606277_67dc8de490_b.jpgEurasian Siskin      Spinus spinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I've never even gotten close to taking a photo of a Firecrest, so I'd be overjoyed at a shot like yours. Your Snipe is a wonderful photo: angle, pose, sharpness, great!

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@elefromoz Having said how mild it is here on the North Wales coast, today it was the second consecutive day of gloriously sunny weather but with it came frost. Here for a change is a Common Snipe out in the open demonstrating the ability to walk on water!

I hope the gloriously sunny weather continues for a while. You live in beautiful parts too, I stayed in Betws-y coed 38yrs ago, just looked at the faded old photos, very pretty, I remember now the chill climbing Snowdon. 

Very nice local Birds again

The Firecrest photo is good enough, as getting one better than this is almost a mission impossible! Great start Dave, it will be another close race this year :). Should we two add points for artistic impression also, like in figure skating :rolleyes: ?! It would surely benefit our photography (well mine for sure, Zvezda is already a competent shooter).

Looks like you're off to a flying start Dave. Well done. I expect I'll be choking on your dust all year.:wacko:

On 1/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, Dave Williams said:

and already I have found myself failing!

If that's a failure I would love to see some of your successes.

Never even seen on in my long life let alone got a piccy as good as that.

Great start.

Dave Williams
On 09/01/2018 at 5:29 PM, Galana said:

If that's a failure I would love to see some of your successes.

Never even seen on in my long life let alone got a piccy as good as that.

Great start.

@GalanaWould you believe I relocated the one I saw on Monday at the local reserve then travelled over to Anglesey and found another.

Still couldn't get a decent image though!

38720005805_a051c7f090_b.jpgFirecrest   Regulus ignicapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

13) Pintail

One reason for travelling to Anglesey, a large island off the North Wales coast, was to make sure I got a Pintail image before they fly north for the summer.

24750615327_860c3c8b84_b.jpgNorthern Pintail  Anas acuta by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Wow on both the Firecrest and the Pintail!

Dave Williams

15) Song Thrush

Found across Europe and the Middle east I believe they have been introduced to New Zealand and Australia ( as if they haven't got enough superb birds already!) They were quite numerous in a muddy field in Anglesey but although classed of "Least Concern" I struggled to find one last year one a local nesting pair moved on.

39627654471_a02fda540c_b.jpgSong Thrush  Turdus philomelos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Beautiful thrushes, both of them and that Pintail is a cracker!

Dave Williams

17) Tufted Duck

Again, our local RSPB reserve.

At first you consider the male to be Black and White but when the sun shines at the right angle it's a different story.

27872245449_0b2b1e882d_b.jpgTufted Duck Aythya fuligula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The female on the other hand can be easily mistaken at first glance as being a Scaup, that white band over the forehead is typical Scaup and isn't always present on female Tufties.

38941259084_2ba9261134_b.jpgTufted Duck  Aythya fuligula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

however, closer inspection not only shows a much darker back than Scaup but the smallest of Tufts is evident too.

38941260924_70d9f2da98_b.jpgTufted Duck  Aythya fuligula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Unlike the previously shown dabbling Gadwall, my number 4, ( as are Wigeon too) the Tufted Duck is a diving duck.

27872243819_ccd6b68de2_b.jpgTufted Duck   Aythya fuligula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

18) Grey Heron

Fairly common in the UK and ruthless predators.There is a Heronry across the Conwy river from the reserve and at  breeding times there are lots of them present. Sadly, the downside is that the survival rate amongst other breeding species on the reserve is pretty low.

24781530797_b95cef6405_b.jpgGrey Heron Ardea cinerea by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

19)Long-tailed Tit.

They are around in numbers on my feeders at the moment, thought best to grab a shot before they split in to breeding pairs and are more difficult see as you are not altered to the sound they make arriving when there are lots of them. Terrific little acrobats, this one hanging on with claw while eating a sunflower heart with the other.

38941773744_06c72e4acd_b.jpgLong-tailed Tit  Aegithalos caudatus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

That male tufted duck and the female just starting to dive are great shots Dave!

Great photo of the male Tufted Duck. A little sunshine can really make their heads shine with a green, or sometimes even a purple glow. Informative photos of the female, too!

Edited by PeterHG