Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

374)Great Northern Diver

A beautiful sunny day but bitterly cold, however, my initial 6 week period post op completed last Monday, I'm now allowed to carry heavier things.I grabbed the 600mm and headed off to West Kirby on the Wirral where this bird has been resident in the boating lake for the last week or so.

7M3A1834.JPG.1e9c81f944a632456e6583eb7ecf88db.JPG

Now you know why I grabbed the 600mm as well as a 2x TC! The boating lake is huge, it's built for proper boats, not models, because as you can see the tide goes a long way out  here.

I thought I might have a another EBC of the Year contender but it did get a little bit closer before the 2 degrees and biting wind had me in retreat to the car.

7M3A1849.JPG

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

375) Hen Harrier

Just around the corner and further in land on the Dee Estuary was a little bit more user friendly as there was a spot you could park the car and watch from inside only getting out when there was something to photograph although again they are some considerable distance away and the 2x TC was deployed again. Once upon a time there was a Roman port here but that was 2000 years ago and the estuary has silted up and the only time there is any water is at the very highest spring tides.Unfortunately that wasn't today. When it happens all sorts of rodents are forced to retreat and the area is well known for Owls and Harriers. BY fodder!

7M3A1914.JPG.0c3d36362d7b20a21cc4fa1b9b339840.JPG

Hen Harriers are much persecuted and a rarity, particularly in England. I was standing in England but the bird has probably arrived from the Welsh hills beyond and will spend the winter here.Only saw a single female but a male was seen a couple of days before.

There were at least 5 Marsh Harrier there as well but as I have counted them in my Gambia list ( or was that an African Marsh Harrier, what does it matter now!) my final count may well end here.

Not a bad bird to finish with I think.

Edited by Dave Williams

Lovely bird to finish with! I’ve still yet to see one

Also caught them the first time here at home, cool shot! But don´t get lazy Dave - still a lot of time until the New Year!

Agree - still time!

Good to hear the recovery is going well. I couldn't carry the 600mm plus TC and I haven't had an operation   :D

Excellent sightings to move the list along, especially the Hen Harrier

Dave Williams

Thanks guys, I know I could easily add a couple, it's the will that's missing and as an ex salesman I know it's best to hold back for the next round once you have hit a target. In my case, last year's figure. Don't need to make the next one any harder than it has to be!;)

Edited by Dave Williams

A great bird to end on, no doubt about that. And 375 is still an excellent total.

But I am just glad to see that you are out and about again! Hope you keep getting better.

Good to see you're back to carrying the big white, Dave! And it certainly paid of for your last two shots! Two great birds to finish with.