Zambia 2017 ( Kafue NP, August) & (Liuwa Plains NP + Kafue NP, November)

Grasshopper_Club

Grasshopper_Club

Thanks for your input @Game Warden. That was exactly what I was looking for, Vimeo..

So another try.

Grasshopper_Club

Day 15

Sadly time has come to say goodbye. And this was my day to leave, unfortunately.

I was able to spend some hours today in the camp in the morning. So wake up call and breakfast as usual and then the transfer at around 9 o'clock. Which would give me about 2-3 hours to enjoy the dambo in front of me.

This was something which I always wanted to do! Just spend your time at camp instead going to a drive/walk...

As usual, in the early hours the dambo was more or less empty with some exception of some birds. The Pukus would return from their night time habitat int the woods behind the camp.

500_3981-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.47509946aa39d973310194f5271bd5ad.jpg

In front of my camp.

500_3994-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.41fe6a646502da1aa8fa3c644cfd1e72.jpg500_3989-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.16c0030497d6f4b9b76e3b3458fb4858.jpg500_4002-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.7b2e311daaed0f4d10f0ecb0b2cc034c.jpg500_4006-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.7035631d32e9ecb820185206b09164be.jpg

8 o'clock in front of the main deck.....dambo starts to fill up with "guests"..

500_4030-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.20c9f65121c4d963f74365799a1cdbed.jpg

NIce to see the Pukus and Waterbucks so relaxed..

500_4058-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.f7453bffca8f06b9b76402f6cd508483.jpg500_4073-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.e0f91cef2304130d3b3b0d40dd95aaed.jpg500_4089-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.9a3fd685d6898f5797d6e43dcea0fa6e.jpg500_4117-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.542defc98f8848e7626b3a3a33e73939.jpg500_4127-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.e2e42b4ddd7872fc06b98d82ebe9c7fd.jpg

Goliath heron, I couldn't see him for a long time, very well camouflaged with these colours..a good armchair safari could be done here at the main deck.

500_4154.thumb.jpg.eb2fb4c9c8428777b432846e5f8684c3.jpg

Sadly my last picture of the whole trip and time to say goodbye finally.

500_4165-Bearbeitet.thumb.jpg.0b1656cc62dc28114e2e5e2fa4a55cbe.jpg

I would have been very sad to leave such a nice place, but to know to get back within 10 weeks made it easier.

On my way back I just had to stop on the new Shoprite at Waterfalls Shopping Center near the airport in Lusaka to get some of these lovely green chilli pickles we had all the times, as a little souvenir^_^

Conlusion:

Spending the wole Safari in the Kafue and make this again antother pure Kafue Safari, was a wise decision. The sightings have been very good and I was especially very impressed about the stuff down at Nanzhila. Maybe because my expectations were much lower compared to the rest of the trip. Again some new sightings which are always great. The length of the stay was perfect, as I really don't like to hurry around. So 5nights in each camp was very well. To see the difference in habitat from the south of the Park up north was also impressing.

The Kafue is an absolute winner if somebody wants to get the diversity of Africa and it's richeness of the fauna. If you're more interested to see "just" big game, then maybee it's not the park for you. So last year I was very lucky with Lions. This year with Leopards.

The great thing about this place is, that it still has a lot of potential not only game wise, also tourist wise. You really don't see other game vehicles on your game drives, maybe 1-2 in a day if you spend your time up north in the Busanga Plains. But thats it.

The most important ponint for me as a retourning visitor, is to see and experiance the impact such places can have to the environment. The wildlife is doing very well and i can see the difference within a short period of time. These Elephants this year around Musekese were absolutely thrilling to see, as they were quite rare in the past. But nowdays they were seen everyday and were in the camp nearly everyday.

Also the timing, mid-end of August. Great time as well, in 2016 I was there 2 weeks later in September.

So I close this TR for now.:D

Cheers

PS: I will start a new thread for the November trip to Liuwa/Kafue, just to get a clean separation for the convenience.

500_4047-Bearbeitet.jpg

Enjoyed this tremendously, thank you very much. So many special sightings, and you captured them with great photos. What a fantastic Sable herd, and that Croc-Leopard sighting really is a once in a lifetime thing. Fabulous. Looking forward to Part Two!

I have enjoyed following each step of this report about my favourite park - from your excellent commentary, thoughts and observations to your great photos - Many Thanks @Grasshopper_Club.

• 4 weeks later...
vikramghanekar

@Grasshopper_Club Fantastic trip report. For me the leopard Vs Crocs takes the cake. Superb video! It seems they use a red filter on top of the spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...

@Grasshopper_Club - thanks for sharing. Fantastic report, really enjoyed learning more about a part of the world that I know so little about 

Many thanks @Grasshopper_Club, so much to see and so many great photographs.  Reading  your report has really whetted my appetite for our return in June - although we're only at Muskese this time.

Grasshopper_Club

@AfricIan, Nice one, your decision to stay at Musekese. I will be back there as well in the beginning of June.

Cheers for now

Grasshopper_Club

@AfricIan, No I will arrive there on the 1st and leave on 10th. Nice combo, to go to SLNP afterwards especially during that time of the year i'll suppose.

Shame our paths don't cross @Grasshopper_Club, maybe another time!  We've not been to SLNP so needed to "tick that one off" and we couldn't go back to Zambia without revisiting Musekese :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to the party here, but wow, that leopard/crocodile video is fantastic.