Cheetah/Impala chase shot "Hunted"

amybatt

I started a new topic for this only because it's not "my" shot, but it's one that blew me away when I saw it and I just had to share it here.  A few years back I met two photographers at Porini camps.  The two of them spent some time with me teaching me some basics (for them, for me it was huge!) on my new bridge camera.  I've since followed them both online and continue to be incredibly impressed by their work (and insanely jealous of the number of wildlife trips they go on!)

This shot, by Arnfinn, is an amazing cheetah/impala chase sequence he calls "Hunted".  His story behind it is on his website.  This impala did ultimately meet its end but only after being caught and released 27 times!  An even more interesting number is that the entire sequence took 1400+ shots!

The other photographer I follow is "LeftJohn" on Instagram.  He's just gotten back from Antarctica where he shot some incredible penguin photos, and before that was far east Siberia for brown bears, with the occasional trip back to Africa thrown in.  He's well worth following if you like wildlife photography.

Any other wildlife photographers worth following online?  This is how I live vicariously when I'm stuck here at home!

There are many fine photographers on Instagram, and a lot of wannabees (like me) as well.

Have a look at Paul Zizka, Gerry van der Walt, Arnar Kristjans, David Lloyd, Roesalien Raimond, Jordan Cantello (storm and weather photography), Patrick Galibert, Jens Cullmann, Hendri Venter, Jari Paltomaki, Margot Raggett, Jacques Barlow, Wim van den Heever, Trevor McCall Peat, Greg du Toit...

We even have a number of Safaritalkers with great galleries on Instagram, like @pault, @PCNW , @Elsa Hoffmann and @Morkel Erasmus.

Edited by Peter Connan

@Peter Connan Thanks for the shout out but I am actually not on Instagram yet although I plan to start just to "get out" more. I will hurry up just so Amy can find me! There must be an imposter! :o Whoever he is, I hope he is only showing good stuff and is not an acolyte of Terry Richardson (how would I explain that to my wife?).  Or maybe it is PaulT with caps - he has a license to use the trademark. 

And good recommends both of you. We should do this more often and maybe even start a thread dedicated to it, as I am sure Amy is not alone.

By the way I susoect Arnfinn's breezily related "story behind the shot" may be why he only got a highly commended for a truly fabulous shot. The mention of 27 times probably transformed it from great drama to serious horror for some of the judges! 

Thanks for sharing, AmyBatt. I want to check out all these photographers. That Arnfinn shot is incredible! Do any of the Safaritalkers know anything about the tented camp at the Mara he is involved in, Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp? It seems really reasonably priced...I'm wondering how they can be so much cheaper than the competitors and cater to serious photographers. It seems the camps that claim to cater to the more serious photographers usually are MORE expensive, not less...

@mtanenbaum I've not ben there but looking at the website it looks as though the camp is outside of the Mara reserve and drives are in the reserve and not in any of the conservancies. I wonder if this is the reason for the relative cheapness. I note that they say that off-road license can be arranged and would presumably be at additional expense.

@mtanenbaum You should go and find out. ;) Maybe they have rather basic facilities and food but it is still fairly cheap. You couldn't expect too much but you might be very pleasantly surprised. 

@mtanenbaum I don't know much more other than that he's just started that camp within the last year, but I can add that Big John is the guide Arnfinn always used at Porini Lion and he's a guide at Oltepesi.  Big John was very well respected at Porini Lion.  I also think they've modified the vehicles to tear out the extra row of seats so that you have lie flat ability to be as low as you need to be in the vehicle, almost ground level.  That is how Arnfinn preferred to work at Porini and they always accommodated him.  I think if you're a photographer, you'd be pleased with the arrangement as they seem skilled in working with serious photogs.  I saw the two of them out scoping locations for the next sunrise or sunset, like figuring out what path hippos are most likely to use to return to a hippo pool, etc. to be there and prepared the next morning.

Dave Williams

I have sent in an enquiry on availability. Price is dependant on numbers.

I'm sure he won't mind me sharing.

Fully booked for July and August next year.

Low season; 1st November - 30th June:

• 1 client; 320 USD per person per day
  • 2 clients; 290 USD per person per day
  • 3 clients or more; 260 USD per person per day

High season; 1st July - 31st October:

• 1 client; 420 USD per person per day
  • 2 clients; 390 USD per person per day
  • 3 clients or more; 360 USD per person per day

The price includes:

• Transfers from/to Mara Olkiombo Airstrip
  • Accommodation in safari tent with en suite bathroom at Oltepesi Tented Safari Camp
  • Food and drinks (full board)
  • Private safari vehicle specially modified for photography only for you / your group – not shared
  • Professional and high skilled Maasai guide(s)
  • Reserve fee for Maasai Mara National Reserve (which is 80 USD per person per day)

The price does not include:

• Flights to / from Nairobi and Mara Olkiombo Airstrip
  • Taxi in Nairobi (can be arranged, ref text below)
  • Hotel in Nairobi (if needed)
  • Off-road license (can be arranged, ref info doc)
  • Cultural Maasai BBQ (can be arranged, ref info doc)
  • Travel insurance and cancellation insurance
  • Any costs of personal matters, tips and gratuities and other costs not specified as included

23 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

3 clients or more; 260 USD per person per day

Safaritalk group trip? :)

Dave Williams

At present availible dates in 2019 are:

Availible

3 January 2019

-

21 March 2019

days

Availible

1 April 2019

-

10 April 2019

days

Availible

23 April 2019

-

28 June 2019

days

Availible

3 September 2019

31 October 2019

days

Availible

18 November 2019

-

31 December 2019

days

Dave Williams
5 minutes ago, Game Warden said:

Safaritalk group trip? :)

I could be persuaded for 10 days, 3 people.  Although I haven't asked for permission yet from my darling, gorgeous, wonderful, generous, beautiful wife ( in case she spots this entry!)

Perhaps as this has diverted to a different subject, it's worth starting a trip planning thread in case anyone is interested @Dave Williams.

Thanks, Matt

@Dave Williams in the Mara. Awsome!

It's surprisingly fabulous for birds in the European winter, you know? And it tends to be quietish around then - other than Christmas and New Year. Not trying to push you over the edge or anything. :D

Oh and of course you can't expect these prices to continue...... 

Fingers crossed @Game Warden!

Edited by pault

Dave Williams

@pault I'm just as interested in mammals ! Having had a trip to Etosha in January, and heading to South Africa and Namibia this July I must admit I need to compare the times of year before deciding when I'd like to go. June or November seem to be good times for a better price and plenty of subjects to see.

@Dave Williams

Yeah, I know.. Sorry, not being serious (although it is really interesting then, even for me). Just helping you sell it as a sort of "two-in-one" trip. Double the value!!!  

I'll insert the warning in my signature soon maybe, I tend to get over-excited in the last couple of weeks before a trip.

Dave Williams

Permission to go granted! Now I need to do some back ground research.