Elephants Big and Small DSWT Umani Springs, Ithumba Camp and Nairobi Orphanage

penolva

Dear Pen, I finally got a chance to see all the lovely Ellie pics and read your touching description of what this visit was like and how much it meant to you. I knew that you went there but I did  not really understand what it was like and what it meant to both of you. Words fail me at your generosity to adopt many orphans and then getting to actually see and even cuddle with them. This was truly a heart-warming experience and only now do I fully understand how it is worth visiting those two places never mind the high cost!

thanks so much for posting! I’m touched beyond words...

Greetings from your friend who loves ellies even more now 

16 hours ago, KaliCA said:

Dear Pen, I finally got a chance to see all the lovely Ellie pics and read your touching description of what this visit was like and how much it meant to you. I knew that you went there but I did  not really understand what it was like and what it meant to both of you. Words fail me at your generosity to adopt many orphans and then getting to actually see and even cuddle with them. This was truly a heart-warming experience and only now do I fully understand how it is worth visiting those two places never mind the high cost!

thanks so much for posting! I’m touched beyond words...

Greetings from your friend who loves ellies even more now 

@KaliCA I am so glad you understand my passion for the elephants and now you are as hooked as me. The book is going to be elephant overload ?? Pen

I must mention the passing of Dame Daphne Sheldrick yesterday in Nairobi. A wonderful lady who dedicated her life to the orphan elephants of Kenya. She leaves a legacy that will live on in her family and with all of us that love elephants so much. ? Pen

Amylovescritters

Amazing TR, and RIP to a heroic, conservation icon whose legacy will live on. We also support several orphans at DSWT and hope to visit their locations in the future. I would love to join your group next year, but unfortunately, will not be able to since we are doing the Northern Circuit in TZ next April and I’m sure we will not be able to afford two African trips. Maybe if there is a 2020 return? Lol. Beautiful and touching TR. 

1 hour ago, Amylovescritters said:

Amazing TR, and RIP to a heroic, conservation icon whose legacy will live on. We also support several orphans at DSWT and hope to visit their locations in the future. I would love to join your group next year, but unfortunately, will not be able to since we are doing the Northern Circuit in TZ next April and I’m sure we will not be able to afford two African trips. Maybe if there is a 2020 return? Lol. Beautiful and touching TR. 

@Amylovescritters I am glad you enjoyed my TR and it’s fantastic you also support the orphans ?? I am already thinking of a return in 2020. The reason being that if we go back our money will go towards the trust, the elephants, the keepers salary etc and we get to spend time with our orphans. The DSWT are also in the process of building a new lodge at Voi which we would love to visit. The more we support the trust the more we continue Daphne Sheldrick’s legacy. As we get older why not do the things we love most? It’s also easy to fly from Nairobi to Johannesburg for a self drive in Kruger or the Kgalagadi. Hope you have a fantastic trip in TZ and will let you know the plans for 2020. ????? Pen

• 2 months later...

@penolva Thank you for this delightful report.  We will be going to Kenya in February and visiting our fostered orphans in Nairobi so this was so entertaining.  

Did you do all three Nairobi orphan visits?  What do you know about the private 3:00 visit?   

Patsy

1 hour ago, PCNW said:

@penolva Thank you for this delightful report.  We will be going to Kenya in February and visiting our fostered orphans in Nairobi so this was so entertaining.  

Did you do all three Nairobi orphan visits?  What do you know about the private 3:00 visit?   

Patsy

Hi @PCNW we only did the morning public visit and the adopters evening visit, several times!. I enquired about the 3pm visit and at the time it was US$500 for the private group. We are hoping to do it with the others when we return next year as its not so expensive when the cost is shared. Have a great time and look forward to the TR. Pen

55 minutes ago, penolva said:

Hi @PCNW we only did the morning public visit and the adopters evening visit, several times!. I enquired about the 3pm visit and at the time it was US$500 for the private group. We are hoping to do it with the others when we return next year as its not so expensive when the cost is shared. Have a great time and look forward to the TR. Pen

@PCNW and @penolva the private visit later this year (I'm doing it in November) is $575 and they have quoted a friend of mine $625 for 2019.

6 minutes ago, amybatt said:

@PCNW and @penolva the private visit later this year (I'm doing it in November) is $575 and they have quoted a friend of mine $625 for 2019.

Oh my that is a big increase! Pen

• 2 months later...

Dear @penolva 

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report and wanted to thank you for sharing your heart-warming experiences. Like others, I didn't fully comprehend what a visit involved, but your wonderful descriptions and images truly made these places come alive. I can't think of anything I would rather do than spend time in that beautiful landscape with the elephants, their keepers and like minded travelers - it would truly be a dream come true. Count me in as yet another who wants to visit, now more than ever. Thanks again. 

@Carolyn so glad you enjoyed the TR. We do have a trip planned for next year. There might be place for one more. If you are interested please PM me. Pen

@penolva

Dear Pen,

I tried to send a message, but kept getting a message that you can't receive them? I'm not very good at technology so I have no idea what I doing wrong. I'm so sorry, but could you tell me a bit more about your trip next year to the DSWT camps ... when, how many days, how much? I normally travel with my dear husband, but if he's teaching or at a conference, then I have time to do my own thing and we meet up when he's finished. He'll be working in Nairobi in August 2019. Though I must be honest, I know he'd love to join me on this type of trip ... so if you have another trip planned for the future, please keep us in mind. We would absolutely love to join you. 

With warm regards,

Carolyn

1 hour ago, Carolyn said:

@penolva

Dear Pen,

I tried to send a message, but kept getting a message that you can't receive them? I'm not very good at technology so I have no idea what I doing wrong. I'm so sorry, but could you tell me a bit more about your trip next year to the DSWT camps ... when, how many days, how much? I normally travel with my dear husband, but if he's teaching or at a conference, then I have time to do my own thing and we meet up when he's finished. He'll be working in Nairobi in August 2019. Though I must be honest, I know he'd love to join me on this type of trip ... so if you have another trip planned for the future, please keep us in mind. We would absolutely love to join you. 

With warm regards,

Carolyn

@Carolyn  Hi I sent you a private message. Please let me know if you received it. Pen

10 hours ago, penolva said:

@Carolyn  Hi I sent you a private message. Please let me know if you received it. Pen

@penolva Hi, got it, thanks! Checking our dates right now. 

On 4/10/2018 at 4:23 PM, penolva said:

@dlo thank you. Still time to decide on what’s happening next year but we are definitely going back as often as we can. ?? Pen

@penolvaHello. I am new to Safaritalk and found your TR on visiting the elephant orphanages.  I would like to go in 2020 and found a group but have not committed yet.  Would be interested in hearing about a 2020 visit if you decide to put something together for that year.  The trip I am seriously considering visits Nairbobi, Ithumba (3 nights) and Umani Springs (3 nights).  I may need to leave Umani early however as I want to do a safari afterwards for 12 days. I hope my heart won't break leaving early.  Love your photos.  The lighting is incredible.  Also, I went to Uganda for 2 weeks last year so if you have any questions, let me know. Nancy

Edited by njs
Added more info

9 hours ago, njs said:

@penolvaHello. I am new to Safaritalk and found your TR on visiting the elephant orphanages.  I would like to go in 2020 and found a group but have not committed yet.  Would be interested in hearing about a 2020 visit if you decide to put something together for that year.  The trip I am seriously considering visits Nairbobi, Ithumba (3 nights) and Umani Springs (3 nights).  I may need to leave Umani early however as I want to do a safari afterwards for 12 days. I hope my heart won't break leaving early.  Love your photos.  The lighting is incredible.  Also, I went to Uganda for 2 weeks last year so if you have any questions, let me know. Nancy

@njs welcome to ST. I am glad you enjoyed reading about the elephants and seeing the photos. I have arranged a trip for next year with some other Safari Talk members. We are already counting down the weeks! I imagine the  trip after that will be 2021. I am planning on including the new DSWT lodge near Voi. They are in the process of renovating an old property  near there. I am waiting to hear the opening date. 

If I do look into a trip in 2020 I will let you know. I hope you get to meet the elephants  one day it’s magical. Pen 

@penolvaWonderful to hear that you were able to get a group together from people you met on Safaritalk.  Are you making the arrangements yourself directly or through an agent? If through an agent, would you mind telling who the agent is? 

Do keep me in mind for 2021.  It appears that many who visit the orphanages, like you, get hooked and return multiple times.  I may end up being one of those people!!

Nancy

6 hours ago, njs said:

@penolvaWonderful to hear that you were able to get a group together from people you met on Safaritalk.  Are you making the arrangements yourself directly or through an agent? If through an agent, would you mind telling who the agent is? 

Do keep me in mind for 2021.  It appears that many who visit the orphanages, like you, get hooked and return multiple times.  I may end up being one of those people!!

Nancy

@njs I am making all the arrangements myself. There are agents that arrange trips. You will find them if you search online. Can’t remember the names. There is also a lady ,Beverley, on here who arranges group visits. Pen