Help needed please with bird ID's

Zim Girl

offshorebirder

@Zim Girl, I agree with @Galana on the top bird likely being  a Tree Pipit - it also does not have the somewhat broader breast  streaking of a Meadow Pipit, with the sort of dot or ink-drop forming the head of the streak.  

I have found this web page to be a good resource for Tree Pipit versus Meadow Pipit identification:

http://www.manchesterbirding.com/uploads/9/7/5/1/97513866/treepipitidentificationianmckerchar2010manchesterbirding.pdf

@offshorebirder

Many thanks for that link to a great web page. Now firmly saved!

@offshorebirder thank you for that link - very helpful as I am just looking at some photos of Pipits!

So back to Warblers I am afraid.

The first 2 I think might just be another Chiff Chaff, although I am pretty sure he wasn't singing 'Chiff chaff', (sorry the legs aren't that clear). Taken in the Forest of Bowland.

The next 3 (all the same bird), I am hoping is a Sedge Warbler. Taken at Marton Mere reserve.

Many thanks to anyone still happy to help.

P1030442c.jpg.6686b8716a2ddee48964a9ea2f2e52a4.jpgP1030450c.jpg.9d60ba8391081c353815230cab71002d.jpg

Sedge warbler??

P1040052c.jpg.9cd720110498e82e374ed20cbe3c5d03.jpgP1040063c.jpg.c10d20bbb6b00de78e603cd3800ab185.jpgP1040066c.jpg.a4d597313f7432751a357ee78d06997f.jpg

offshorebirder

@Zim Girl - the first bird does look good for ChiffChaff - the less bold supercilium, rounded crown and comparatively shorter bill seem right for CC versus Willow Warbler.  But I don't know if it singing something other than 'chiff chaff'  is significant.  As you say, too bad we cannot see the legs.

Nothing about the second bird seems out of place for a (female) Sedge Warbler.  There is a pesky leaf obscuring its rump.   Do you recall if it had a reddish rump?  Even so, I agree with your ID.

Thanks for the ID quiz photos and I hope our European friends correct me if I am wrong. 

Thank you very much @offshorebirder Yes, I thought the first was more than likely a Chiff Chaff and I am glad you agree with the Sedge Warbler as that's a new one for my BY.  I am afraid I didn't notice it's rump, too busy just trying to get it in focus before it flew off :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have another unidentified bird.  I think it is a type of warbler but it doesn't seem to fit any of the descriptions in the book. There is no stripe above the eye and it definitely seems to be more grey in colour than brown.  The best I can come up with is a Garden Warbler because the book says the adult becomes greyer as breeding season progresses, but I really have no idea.. I found it in the local nature reserve ad it was making a repetitive  grating call.  @Dave Williams. can you help please?

P1040707c.jpg.16c3a9a154d6ffcc8bc7a2206e52f58e.jpg

P1040710c.jpg.b366163aba979fa73b1785cb373a938b.jpg

P1040713c.jpg.58b32ac3a521a5b6adfb510ea93f201c.jpg

P1040717c.jpg.89c4b5058451f35fc78d2647795f25c9.jpg

Dave Williams

Looks like a Black Redstart to me. I need one for my BY too! We were in Blackpool last weekend and I thought about giving you a shout but didn't really have time to slip away from our hosts, might have been seen as rude too. I thought I glimpsed some Pink-footed Geese in a field on our way back from that mega garden centre on the A6 and  kept my eye out for some Red-legged Partridge too but failed. Potential 3 new ones missed!!

Ok, just looked that up.  A female then?

Next time you are over this way and have time definitely do that.  The part of the River Brock that we walk along often is just down the road from that garden centre.  A Kingfisher has been seen there between the garden centre and the next bridge along the river.

There were a couple of red legged partridge in the field across from my house a couple of days ago:)

Edited by Zim Girl

Dave Williams

The only other possibility is a Dunnock for your photo. Redstart should have a reddish tail underside but Dunnock shouldn't be as grey. The shot of it looking down does suggest a brownish back too so perhaps Dunnock is a better bet.

I'll give you a shout next time.

Edited by Dave Williams

Ok, I will leave that one for now just in case.  I just checked the local bird sightings and nobody has seen a Redstart in that area and the birders seem to be pretty hot around here so perhaps it isn't.

Dave Williams

Yes, the legs look reddish too which is another pointer to Dunnock. I have downloaded a copy of one of the shots to try and reveal the shadows ( hope you don't mind)but that was inconclusive too.Sorry to disappoint but I'm pretty certain my initial ID is incorrect.A Dunnock me thinks!

No worries, thanks for taking the time to check.

Not an expert but it looks like a Dunnock to me to.

17 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Not an expert but it looks like a Dunnock to me to.

I know, I didn't even give a Dunnock a thought, because I was underneath the bird I couldn't see the brown top feathers and I got all excited thinking I had found a new bird:)

I spent ages examining some pictures I took in Norfolk, wondering what they might be - and the final decision was..... Dunnock. ) A pretty bird in its own right but I was hoping for somethin different:)

• 1 month later...

I wasn't actually going to bother with this as the picture is so blurry but I was inspired by seeing a post of a Goosander and chicks on @Galana's BY.

Only got one chance at a picture of these as they were moving very quick down this fast flowing river. I counted 11 chicks. My first thought (hope?) was that it was a female Red Breasted Merganser but on looking it up saw that a Goosander female is similar. I am still hoping for RBM but can anyone help? @Dave Williams, @TonyQ, @Galana

Sorry the picture is pretty crap, I have cropped in a lot for a close up on the 2nd pic.

P1040976c.jpg.c93d1a4e3d6c21d0efc86baf99862097.jpg

P1040976d.jpg.d86d2fb71699fa554f41619c535a0baa.jpg

Dave Williams

I'd say Goosander I'm afraid.

Me too. That RBM are more often on salt water and rarely on fast flowing streams is one clue. The lighter grey back is another.

Of course one of the better field marks is the white chin is more prominent on Goosander so can you get it to turn round next time?:P

BTW I missed your call in June. It's a Dunnock. The little brown cheek patch is quite the give away even in shade.

Agree with Goosander. I have never seen their chicks before -they are very cute!

On 7/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, Galana said:

Me too. That RBM are more often on salt water and rarely on fast flowing streams is one clue. The lighter grey back is another.

Of course one of the better field marks is the white chin is more prominent on Goosander so can you get it to turn round next time?:P

Thanks guys.

We did run to try and get in front of it but it whizzed off down a side channel that we couldn't follow.  We went back to that stretch of river 3 more times during the week but never saw it again.

Might hang on to this one in case I can get something better later on.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if this is a Mistle Thrush please?  Both pics same bird.

P1020077c.jpg.c182d6f4bfedee0eb77544ece218369d.jpg

P1020091c.jpg.bcc7a12f8451b86fb12791f14d4e8814.jpg

offshorebirder

Yes indeed @Zim Girl, it looks good for Mistle Thrush to me.

I also can't help noticing that it is ringed (banded).  Neat!

• 8 months later...

So it's Pipit time again and whilst I have looked hard at these birds to try and find a Tree Pipit in there, I have a feeling they are all Meadow.

The first one was found in the South Cumbrian fells and all the others at various locations in the Forest of Bowland.

So anyone???   @Galana  @Dave Williams

P1150800c.jpg.bad5b82cdeb3a24d881b210eb4da4faf.jpg

P1150335c.jpg.10d113062af2e6587c29ab3caecbf10d.jpg

P1150851c.jpg.dfd0f8162c293b20417a1651a575d7a9.jpg

P1150854c.jpg.cbd2f0e436319d30849361c024f39b54.jpg

P1150879c.jpg.efc8ebe7d4400e3d2192beed7b1fffa4.jpg

P1150939c.jpg.0b2aa5a4e50161421082dfa5ed7d0c76.jpg