Atravelynn

Thanks for your detailed account of Kidepo, including info on getting there and back.  Did you have several people who chartered a flight?  Is there a scheduled charter?  Your comment that there is no place to refuel in Kidepo is an important consideration for driving.  Kidepo looks like a wonderful, remote wilderness.  The additional lodging you mention seems to indicate that others believe the park will thrive and entice more visitors.  I noted your concern about too many visitors.  You are lucky to have seen Kidepo twice at this point.

You certainly had your share of roof thatching on this trip.

For anyone going to Kidepo or the other Uganda destinations you visited, this report will be excellent reading for a sound background.  Thank you for creating this outstanding resource!

inyathi

@Atravelynn 

Thanks,

Sorry I was still in Ghana on the 23rd of Feb, when you posted your question and then I guess as a result of ST being off air for a bit, I hadn’t spotted it until now.

There were three of us on the flight from MFNP to Kidepo.

There are scheduled flights to Kidepo with Aerolink, just have a look at their website, based on my experience though the flights might be scheduled, but they don’t exactly run on schedule, they flew us from MFNP to Kidepo and from Kidepo to Entebbe and both flights were pretty late.

Aerolink route map

I’m pretty sure that if you drive up to Kidepo you can’t get fuel once you are there, and I don’t know where the nearest place you can get fuel is, but I didn’t check this, when I wrote the report and I wouldn’t know if the situation has changed. Anyone thinking of travelling to the park by road, should check what the actual fuel situation is.

Since my visit UWA and the GCF, have as I hoped they would boosted the park’s giraffe population, I posted something on this a short while back, besides just being very good for the giraffes, more of them should obviously make them easier to see, great for anyone visiting Kidepo. 

Operation Twiga III Translocating giraffe to Kidepo Valley National Park

Botswanadreams
3 hours ago, inyathi said:

I’m pretty sure that if you drive up to Kidepo you can’t get fuel once you are there, and I don’t know where the nearest place you can get fuel is, but I didn’t check this, when I wrote the report and I wouldn’t know if the situation has changed. Anyone thinking of travelling to the park by road, should check what the actual fuel situation is.

On the eastern route we filled up in Moroto and than after Kidepo in Kitgum. I think the car our company used had a long rang tank. We were fine including all game drives for four nights.