Peru's Sacred Valley and Tambopata National Reserve -- May-June 2018

amybatt

I recall some discussions in your planning stages.  That risk of unpredictable bad weather is always out there and we all get hit with it once in awhile.

"soaked through to the bone with sweat, unable to wear the clothes I had on again since they were so sweated through"  I can feel your uncomfortableness now.  Peru was the only place I washed my sweaty clothes in the shower on me. 

A bright spot was the otters for you.  I was the 1% to 5% that did not see them.  I am sorry about the clay lick and your health.  Some trips it seems we have to battle bad luck.  Glad Machu Picchu lived up to its reputation for you.  May is the optimal time to be there and you hit that just right.

The animals that did choose to cooperate got lovely portraits!

19 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

"soaked through to the bone with sweat, unable to wear the clothes I had on again since they were so sweated through"  I can feel your uncomfortableness now.  Peru was the only place I washed my sweaty clothes in the shower on me. 

Both of you please stop! We'll be there in August, and this talk scares me. I'm kidding, of course...and I adjusted my planned clothes list accordingly :) 

Hopefully less humid in Aug, but who knows? 

Showering in clothes for me was in October.  But it was all really worth it, @xyz99!

Based on what I read, I expect hot (upper 90s) and high humidity in August in Manu area. Not a lot of rain, but I know it can happen. And the possibility for several rainy days in a row even in the dry season is not unheard of, we experienced it before.

So what are your tips for dealing with it, and how do you protect the camera from rain and high humidity?

What do you wear? How bad are the mosquitoes? 

Others may have different experiences, @xyz99 but when I took a class at my local camera shop I asked the guy about what to do with high humidity environments since I’d never come across that on safari before.  He told me either save those little silicon packets that come in shoeboxes or purses when you buy them new, or order some from a camera shop.  I put three in my camera bag and kept it zipped up when I wasn’t using it.  That camera bag then went in my daybag, which was helpful when I took my somersault through a puddle on the hike.  I got a pack of 10 rechargeable silicon packets off Amazon.

I had packed for the weather that you see forecasted which was a lot of my safari gear, the lightweight technical fabrics that wick moisture, breathe and dry quickly.  Zip off cargo pants in case I wanted shorts.  I did take long and short sleeved, expecting to only need the long sleeved in the Sacred Valley, but was glad to have them in Tambopata.  I would definitely take a raincoat, and one that is waterproof, not just water resistant.  My water resistant one got soaked through on the deluge Hike from Hell and was very very hard to dry.  This was a good case of “I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it”.  The Greentracks literature said that cold blast happens about once a month!  I also took flip flops for around the camps, as boots/sneakers weren’t allowed inside at any of the lodges.

I think if I had one tip it’s that nothing will dry.  Even if it’s just super humid and not rainy, especially things that you might not bring spares of, like socks.

I had next to no problems with mosquitoes but again, were they chased off by the very low temps and/or the time of year?  I’m not sure.  I still put my repellant on but they weren’t even a nuisance.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Amy, yes, that is very helpful. We encountered high humidity in Thailand, but we stayed in a/c accommodations, so the camera did not really suffer. I have some of those silica packs, I'll make sure to bring them. 

The deluge hike from hell :) Sounds funny now, good to hear you can make fun about it now, I hope we will not experience anything like that. But I'll make sure to have a waterproof jacket. 

I hate the deet smell, but have to use the stinky stuff, mosquitos love me. I'm glad to hear they are not bad, but I don't  think I'll try shorts. The time when I wear them, that's the day when mosquitoes are usually hungry. I think my main concern are shoes. Sandals (that are light can be easy washed) or (heavy) waterproof hiking shoes?

@xyz99 I usually wear Brooks trail running sneakers on trips like this and safari.  They have a firmer sole but the comfort of sneakers.  Those worked out fine for Machu Picchu and the Sun Gate hike and all my wandering around Cuzco and the Sacred Valley.  But once I got to Sandoval Lake, they gave us Wellie boots and I never wore my Brooks again until I got back to Puerto Maldonado.  I’m not sure if the area around Manu lodges are the same, but it was a lot of mud and I was sort of glad not to be wearing my own shoes, and I could stomp about with abandon.  For sandals, I used the Tevas I usually take on safari for around camp.  If Greentracks pre-trip literature doesn’t say anything about the Wellies then maybe it’s not so bad there?  You could ask George too.

I agree if mosquitos usually like you, you probably ought not tempt them!

I asked George about Wellies, he said that if needed the lodges would provide them. So happy I don't need to carry mine!

I'll look into Brooks - I love my Nikes, but I'm not sure how sturdy their soles are for a rocky terrain. That, and my Tevas sandals and I should be fine - looks like. Perfect!

Thanks.

3 hours ago, xyz99 said:

I asked George about Wellies, he said that if needed the lodges would provide them. So happy I don't need to carry mine!

I'll look into Brooks - I love my Nikes, but I'm not sure how sturdy their soles are for a rocky terrain. That, and my Tevas sandals and I should be fine - looks like. Perfect!

Thanks.

Yes, Sandoval Lodge gave us the Wellies, which we kept and returned when we got back to Puerto Maldonado.  I’d hate to have packed them!

Nike has a line of trail runners if you like that brand. I run in Brooks sneakers usually so just looked for the same size in trail runners.

Good thing that amazon has free returns :) I'll get a pair of each and see which one I like better. Thanks.

@amybatt My Brooks arrived today and I love them; much better soles than the Nikes. Thank you!

shouldbewriting

We used Greentracks too, also after reading about George in a report by @Atravelynn, when we took a river cruise up the Amazon last June.

It was a wonderful week, and I did get to see my much hoped for blue morpho butterflies and some roseate spoonbills. But like you the macaw sightings were not what we’d hoped for — though we didn’t have to go through your miserable experience. Very sorry it was a bust.

Though delighted about the rest of the trip; we’ve left it too late for that now.

Atravelynn

Your name is so distinctive, @shouldbewriting, I remember you from another travel forum.  I hope the blue morphos gave you plenty of material to wax poetic.

Just catching up with your trip @amybatt sorry to hear the weather didn't want to play the game. Loved the Llama shot and also the shots of Sandoval Lake, you are right it is stunningly beautiful. 

That video you attached with the sounds of the Howler monkey's was awesome. Your friend nailed it with the Blair Witch comment. It would be quite terrifying if you didn't know what it was.

shouldbewriting

@Atravelynn, you were the person who,  about eight years ago, found me bumbling about some travel forum trying to find out about Africa, and directed me to Fodor’s. And, among others, helped me figure out our first very successful safari to SA. So I’m a long time fan and follower.

And we are finally planning another foray, this time to Kenya, probably June of next year. I’m sure brains will be picked!

Atravelynn

@shouldbewriting--and now you are over here!  Good move!  Let the travels continue!

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, tough trip.  Great that you had a great time at Machu Picchu, not so great about the rain forest.

Back in 2012 we went into Manu - it's certainly not easy travelling, even in (mostly) decent weather, the sightings sometimes are well spread out but it worked it's magic on me.

@xyz99 - where are you going in Manu? 

It was very hot when we were there and the humidity is high.  I did wash clothes by hand because they were getting stinky but they didn't dry especially well - and seemed to attract all the surrounding insects . . .

Pretty sure I wore light weight hiking boots and light weight gaiters - no need for gumboots when we were there (Sept).  Sandflies were horrendous on the riverbanks - even with 80% deet we were both bitten a lot just getting in and out of the canoes.  But in the canoe and in the forest there were no sandflies and very few mosquitos.  Long shirts & pants are essential.  I'd recommend the gaiters too - stop mud, debris, army ants etc ending up in your shoes or pants.

Pro tip: make sure your binos are waterproof . . .

Our blog from Manu is here if you're interested:  Manu blog  I've just spend a happy time down memory lane