Brown Bears and Banter - 10 days in Alaska with my son

pomkiwi

Postscript

4 hours into my flight home and just about to go to sleep when I looked out of the window and saw the last light over the Canadian arctic tundra. My thoughts turned to bears and the likelihood that polar bears might be somewhere down there. A few weeks after my return I booked to spend 5 days up at Nanuck Lodge near Churchill, Manitoba where we will hike with polar bears.....

MFH_2518.jpg.f64e212216b8ef44958772fe05ace59a.jpg

Fabulous - loved your report and photos! I loved my time at SSCL and we were lucky to book only a few months out as they had just a couple nights together - we kept checking on cancellations. But that was a few years ago and it may be even more popular now. We had a photographic group staying there also and we were a family of 4 so we got our own guide most of the time - I think sometimes we had another couple with us. You were lucky not to have rain there it looked like. We had rain a bunch and sitting on the wet seats of those trailers even with our supposedly waterproof pants was not too fun. But we loved our time there and I'd love to return.  We didn't have the problem you mentioned of groups being bossy at sightings or our guide leaving before we wanted to.  

@SafariChick Thank-you for your comments. We had a great time at SSCL, the irritations I mentioned were minor and I would love to go back. Yes we had rain but only heavy for one afternoon and evening. A surreal afternoon was spent watching a big male in the rain and when we got bored deciding to try and get photos of swallows in flight (since we had sorted puffins the previous day). Images were obtained and the condition of the prize beer (able to see the eye) was met by myself but the images are not worthy of ST.!

Thanks for a lovely and very interesting trip report!

• 5 months later...

You've become a bear fanatic!  Lake Clark came through for you, despite the little glitch with the overly aggressive photography group.  Your close encounter had to be chilling, but I am very impressed that you managed a running bear photo throughout.  The puffins are an excellent bonus to the bears.  Your son had to be thrilled with the trip!

@Atravelynn Thank-you! Yes it was a memorable trip. My son did enjoy himself - probably the best proof is his jealousy that the polar bear trip in October involves his sister and not him :)

On 2/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, pomkiwi said:

@Atravelynn Thank-you! Yes it was a memorable trip. My son did enjoy himself - probably the best proof is his jealousy that the polar bear trip in October involves his sister and not him :)

You have to spread the love around!

• 1 month later...

What an absolutely incredible trip!! This is at the top of my bucket list. You had some seriously amazing (and heart stopping) encounters with the bears that were very close.

I especially appreciated the photo of all the people lying down to take photos of the bears. Shots like this really help to set expectations.

The puffins and red foxes were very cool also. I haven't seen any of these animals before, so love all the photos :)

@monalisa Thank-you for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the report. As @Atravelynn commented I think I am becoming a bear addict as I will be spending a week on a 6 berth boat along the Katmai coast in Alaska in July and 5 nights in Manitoba in late October 😀

@pomkiwi I can see how easy it would be to become a bear addict. They are very cute!! I had the chance to see polar bears in Manitoba a few years ago. They are just stunning! I would love to add brown or black to my collection :)

Katmai is where Brooks Falls is right?! Now THAT is a bucket list place. I hear it is super hard to book, do you know how true that might be? 

And any plans to look for spirit bears??

11 hours ago, pomkiwi said:

@monalisa Thank-you for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the report. As @Atravelynn commented I think I am becoming a bear addict as I will be spending a week on a 6 berth boat along the Katmai coast in Alaska in July and 5 nights in Manitoba in late October 😀

What boat?

Nice reflections shots!

Edited by Atravelynn

@monalisa I did look at Brooks Falls but a lot of what I read suggested that it gets very busy. There is a lodge there but it has to be booked a long time ahead. Camping in a site with an electric bear deterrent is easier to book but the Alaska weather may be a bit damp....

In general trips need advance booking. There are some organised photo tours using the lodge (or camping) but they book up a few months to a year ahead.

Day trips are possible by float plane and need less notice but aren’t cheap.

Edited by pomkiwi

@Atravelynn Thank-you, I was lucky to be out as the bears came from their bed in the woods to the meadows at high tide.

in July I’m going with Adventure Kodiak on their boat called the Single Star. Hoping for some more reflections in calm Katmai bays!

8 hours ago, pomkiwi said:

@Atravelynn Thank-you, I was lucky to be out as the bears came from their bed in the woods to the meadows at high tide.

in July I’m going with Adventure Kodiak on their boat called the Single Star. Hoping for some more reflections in calm Katmai bays!

Single Star!  I remember seeing that boat out there!  Have a great trip and many reflections, in every sense of the word.  Are you spending some time in Kodiak before sailing?

Edited by Atravelynn

1 hour ago, Atravelynn said:

Single Star!  I remember seeing that boat out there!  Have a great trip and many reflections, in every sense of the word.  Are you spending some time in Kodiak before sailing?

I will be flying in to Kodiak early on a Friday morning (have picked the jet flight from Anchorage to reduce the chance of weather disruption). I will have the full day in Kodiak before meeting the Silver Star in Katmai via a float plane. No firm plans for my Kodiak day but decided against hiring a car when the quote came it at more than $200 for a day!