Six Kansans on a Tanzania safari

mapumbo

@Amylovescritters

Sounds like a great trip.  Fadhil was our next choice.  April will be here before you know it.

Yes, all the things big and small are to be appreciated.  We had an ant trail right outside our lodge when we arrived at River Trees.  We spent a lot of time studying what they were up to.  Dung beetle holes in the ground on the Namiri Plains.  Always something to learn about.

Thank you for following along and your kind words,

A great report with superb photos. It really does look like a beautiful area and it sounds like George is an excellent guide. The serval sighting was amazing, and so many lions. The first river crossing sounds horrible. It is very sad that photos are more important than the welfare of the animals.

4 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

A great report with superb photos. It really does look like a beautiful area and it sounds like George is an excellent guide. The serval sighting was amazing, and so many lions. The first river crossing sounds horrible. It is very sad that photos are more important than the welfare of the animals.

Thank you for the compliments. @TonyQ.  We did see our share of lions. 

Hopefully Tanzania will try to control the pressure on the river crossings.

OK, it is time to finish off this TR.

On our last full day of game drives we saw this atypical impala.  I had forgot to add it to my previous post.  George said he had never seen anything like this before and had no explanation for the cause..

IMG_7358.jpg.c9c97aef7d5478e5fa0f256aa34bd3cd.jpg

The last morning we did a couple of hours game drive before we had to get on the plane to head back to Kili airport.  We drove along the river but did not see anything out of the ordinary.

We said our good byes to George.  We were so pleased to have him as our guide and companion for the last two weeks.  Interestingly, he is coming to Kansas this fall so we will give him a tour of our area.

IMG_2586.jpg.034fb6b7d9ccb3eac21984d64af54673.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg.fda8c792d58aef4b29bb29e0e0b9c28f.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg.2527b40ea0a416975395ecde30b1245f.jpg

This photo taken from the plane of Kilimanjaro.

IMG_2636.jpg.980e6ad7e4b14e611ec36eeb33cea4cb.jpg

We had a day room at KIA Lodge, just minutes away from the airport.  It is really a nice place to freshen up and relax before the grueling flights home.  On a clear day you have a view of Kilimanjaro.   

IMG_2683.jpg.fffa3347e1876ac1688204afb72d0205.jpg

Thanks @mapumbo for your report which has been very interesting and informative. The odds of anybody seeing an antelope with horns as misshaped,  has to be greater than winning the lottery jackpot three weeks on the trot.

@CDL111

That's right.  Mama Ndege has been trying to win the lottery for decades so we can go to Africa every year, but she did get a good photo of the atypical impala.

I also liked a lot the report, great trip and nice pictures.

16 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

I also liked a lot the report, great trip and nice pictures.

Thank you, I have been reading your Zambia report with interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Great report! I don't think I've ever seen photos of elephants on a kopje before; that must have been very interesting to watch.

Also enjoyed the "vultures descending on the lunch boxes" :P

On 10/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, Marks said:

Great report! I don't think I've ever seen photos of elephants on a kopje before; that must have been very interesting to watch.

Also enjoyed the "vultures descending on the lunch boxes" :P

Thanks @Marks, the young elephants appeared to be enjoying the adventure.

• 1 month later...
Brian's Art for Animals

great report..must have been something to see a leopard while on  a hike.. thanks for the report!

• 2 months later...

That sounds like the start of a joke.  Six Kansans on a safari or Six Kansans walk into a bar...

Photos of your cows and of your cows in the snow!! What a hit

" This Ethiopian flight proved to be about $900 dollars per person cheaper than KLM and the arrival time was much more convenient at mid-day. "  So true.  I think the difference was $700 for me, which is huge!

What great luck with the cheetah in Tarangire! 

Just when it seemed the bush walk was kaput, you see lion and leopard on foot and Mama Ndege gets arrested.  That's one of the most exciting walks I have ever heard of.

Fine job of photographing the LBR kill.

You earned your Serengeti beer.

Page 1 is an exciting start.  Looking forward to the rest.

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynn

I'm laughing out loud at your replies.

Yes, we had a great trip with George, we can give you credit for your TR's describing your time with him.  My safari partners kept thanking me for engaging him as our guide, the thanks go to you and @kilopascal

Mama Ndege was about to have me arrested for agreeing to go on that walk through that tall grass at nearly dusk.

That photo of the LBR catching the grasshopper is hanging on our wall.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:59 PM, mapumbo said:

@kilopascal

You know George better than we do but I'm pretty sure he is over 50 and he is darn spry yet.  At least in a short sprint.  

Like I said, we weren't sure how Zachari and George were going to act when they came back after chasing those little rascals.  I think they had as much fun chasing them as we did watching.  George said the worst thing was all the holes in the ground, that you had to watch out that you didn't step in and trip.

I am not sure of George's age, but George once guessed that I had been married 50 years.   I had to laugh, as that was much closer to my age at the time.  I can only hope George has prophesied correctly.

p2

George chasing the staff tosser is quite a tale.  Hope the word gets out that such antics are not acceptable.  Great photo of the jackal and vulture.  The eles on the kopjes are an impressive feat.

p3

"We were talking to them, urging them to just do it."  It worked!  So that's the secret.  You had good views and shots of the migration.  How exciting you got to witness it, and a several thousand strong crossing!  There will need to be some heavier oversight on the riverside behavior, I believe, based on your experience and mine around that same time.

p4

An even better crossing!  Way to go.  And this one had far fewer vehicles.

" It (KIA) is really a nice place to freshen up and relax" and view Kili--very lucky it showed for you.  Very lucky with the whole trip!

Edited by Atravelynn

On 9/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, Amylovescritters said:

Awesome report... We will be going on a Northern Circuit Safari with TWS next year beginning April 1st. We will not have George as our guide, as we will be traveling with Fadhil.

I have spent time in camp with Fadhil and his clients.  They all had a marvelous time with him.

Amylovescritters

So excited.  I have only heard great things @Atravelynn

On 3/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, mapumbo said:

That photo of the LBR catching the grasshopper is hanging on our wall.

Not many people have one of those in their collection!

5 minutes ago, Atravelynn said:

Not many people have one of those in their collection!

If you have never witnessed a successful large predator hunt then a LBR kill will have to do, for now!