Bush dog

Last set of Lion pictures were really wonderful - great finish to this report.

@ForWildlife thus is @Bush dog 's trip report so can I suggest you start a separate topic perhaps in the Park news section to discuss this further?

I an sure people would find it interesting. Thanks 

Let's wait for that until there is some actual news :). Bush dogs report has been wonderful, I love to go back to that vast expanse of wilderness!

23 hours ago, wilddog said:

@ForWildlife thus is @Bush dog 's trip report so can I suggest you start a separate topic perhaps in the Park news section to discuss this further?

I've split the comments into a new topic, although which for now, I've marked as hidden as it was reported to me as potentially libelous. Unfortunately at this precise moment, I've not got a moment to deal more with it, but I would like to remind members about potential libel in posts and ask that members reacqaint  themselves with the ST terms and conditions.

Thanks, Matt

On 10/27/2018 at 4:10 PM, Bush dog said:

_U5V3123.jpg.93ffe50f1face039389a7a35ee7aa80f.jpg

The last pictures of this report:

Smoky island.

_U5V2743.jpg.03f6c743b6f9220858370293aacdbf86.jpg

Misty and smoky morning.

@Game Warden makes sense, let's unhide the topic when the time has come and not distract from this wonderful TR!

@Bush dog those two are my favorites. The colors on the lion are brilliant and the image is very sharp. The rule of thirds isn't applied, but in my view it makes this image a bit more interesting.

I like the structures in the smoky island one, and the combination of the smoky haze through which the vibrant green colors pierce, and the contrast between the leafless bright trees and palm and other leaves.

@Bush dog - such a pleasure to read along and enjoy the pictures. You lucked out with the cheetah & superb images, as always. The crouching lion with its nose in the water - loved it!

FWIW, @SafariChick and I saw lions feeding on a fresh hippo kill near Musekese, so simply anecdotally speaking, it does sound like the Kafue lions hunt hippo throughout the park. Can't speak to the frequency of this, but it's interesting to note that we saw this too.

Were you, or @marg and the rest of you recent Busanga visitors (hmmm, @Safaridude?) able to unearth any info on the recent lion dynamics on the plains? How are they doing overall? Cub mortality? I'd love to hear about this if anyone has the latest.

@ForWildlife

Thanks for your analysis of the 2 pictures. 

The rule of thirds does certainly not apply in this case, but the diagonal method well.  Here is a last picture of the same lion.

1414726196_Kafue2018.jpg.4f882f1e3428779ee5039a448fe00470.jpg

@Sangeeta  

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Sorry, I do not have more info on the lion dynamics on the plains.

@Bush dog @Sangeeta...trying to write about the dynamics of the lions is like keeping up with Peyton Place.  Forgive me if I go into too much detail and hopefully I am accurate, but I am writing from my scattered notes, from Wilderness and from a slide show that we had before dinner our last night.  Queen is the collared female who is 10+ years old. Her first litter in 2010/2011 was three cubs.  The two males disappeared and the female, Killing Machine survived and had two sons called the Machine Boys.  The second litter in 2012 produced Maggie and two males who survived.  The third litter in 2014 was three.  The female Princess survived and it is suspected that hyenas got the other two.  We did not see or hear hyenas when we were there.  In 2017 the fourth litter was two cubs.  One survived and the other was adopted by Maggie. Our first morning we found two females.  One was Maggie with two cubs about 1 1/2 years old.  And, a younger one (Queens).

When the two new males arrived at the beginning of the season, the Papyrus Pride split into two.  Scar and Nervous, the new males, first mated with Maggie and Princess.  Then Killing Machine.  The morning that we  saw the males they were with Princess and Queen.  Princess walked off to the trees in the distance.  Scar and Queen mated most of the morning.  Later  Nervous walked off in the direction that Princess had gone.  There should be new additions to the pride.  Survival probably depends to some degree on the water levels.  We also discussed how beneficial it is to have new males take over every three years to prevent fathers mating with their daughters.

Our last night we spotted the female with two young males, younger than two.  It was the first sighting on the plains.  We were told that they had come from outside the park and the Papyrus Pride would not allow them to stay.  Later that evening we saw Killing Machine and Princess resting in front of BBC.  Hope that this helps.

@marg

Thanks a lot for those interesting information.  During my stay, I only saw 7 lions, the two males and the female that was mating with it/them(?), the Killing Machine (on #35 and 47) and the three coming from outside the park (on #35).

@Bush dog

The elephant photos in post # 60 and the lion in # 65 provided a lovely end to your report. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us once more. 

A photo containing a hippo and a lion, both living, is uncommon.  You have reminded me to post in the Trip Planning subforum in the future.

Were the fires especially bad this past year?  If so, was it because it was drier?  The haze does give a unique quality to some of the photos.

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynn

3 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Were the fires especially bad this past year?  If so, was it because it was drier?  

I can't really answer your question.  It was my first trip to Kafue (better later than never) and also my first experience with daily fires of that importance.  Anyway, it was really very impressive. 

Thanks a lot for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

I fantastic trip report supported by as usual some outstanding photography. Kafue has just been added to my wish list so thank you for sharing your experiences.

madaboutcheetah

Mike, loved the report - That leaping Lion is Majestic!!!  Fantastic photography

Superb photos - I especially like the elephants and lions in action, and the bird photos,  an excellent

report.

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 5:07 PM, Bush dog said:

With regard to the description of the camps, I refer you to the excellent report of @LarsS 

Since then, the tents of Busanga Plains Camp have been completely replaced by other larger and more spacious ones, mounted on a cement platform.  Inside, electricity has been installed.  The bucket showers were however maintained.

Before I forget it, I would like to thank Robyn and Edjan, the owners, Annekim and Laura, respectively in charge of Plains Camp and Fig Tree, the staff of the 3 camps and finally Powell.  They did a great job.

With respect to the park itself, I was told by an informed source that it appears that African Parks is in very advanced negotiation with the Zambian government to manage it.

Thanks for your kind words @Bush dog ( a bit late may be, but it's been a while since I last visited the website).

I talked to Edjan almost a year ago and he told about his plans to change the tents at Busanga. Is the bathroom still outside? I really liked it outside with bucket shower, so happy to hear they're still there.

Regarding AP, over a year ago they already were in 'advanced talks' with African Parks and discussed this also with Edjan. It's a very complex process, so we'll still have to wait if and when it will happen. However, I hope it will help improve protection of Kafue one way or the other as it's really needed imo.

Great trip report @Bush dog! It really takes me back to Kafue. Your photos are really stunning! I especially like the ones of the cheetahs and the charging elephant. When you scroll down on the elephant pics, it's almost if he runs through your screen. Respect you stayed so calm and took this pictures. I'd probably produced a real shaky video if I managed to press record.

I think the type of termit mounts a typical for Kafue. I haven't seen them anywhere else like this and also thought they looked like graveyards. I was wondering if it forms one big network under the ground, connecting all the mounts. Did your guide may be told something about that?

It looks like you had quite some elephant sightings on the plains as well, didn't you? We struggled to find them, in fact, they actually found us in camp. :)

I was planning for other destinations this year, but this TR really makes me wanna visit Kafue again. Thanks for your stories and amazing pictures!

On 10/27/2018 at 5:10 PM, Bush dog said:

_U5V3065.jpg.8e86b9d57efaaef3894438f5d6837b08.jpg

That look in his eyes!