Chapter one: South Luangwa

marg

So many of our highlights involved elephants.  Being chased.  Going to the loo behind the vehicle,  having an elephant come and Bryan needing to chase it away.  And, the last day seeing forty-four of them going to the river to drink and to splash.

A surprise here is that the guides do not communicate during the game drives to tell of sightings.  Only flat tires.  We had Bryan, a great guide with whom we had conversations about many things. We were always looking for prints or scat or listening at to alarm calls.  Some times we were successful, but even the other times were interesting.  One drive going on a road he turned around, went back and stopped at a bush.  Under it was a hyena.  When I asked how did he know that it was there, he said that he smelled it!

Before we left Issac gave us a tour of the gardens.  There were many brown-veined white butterflies.  We had seen them prior to Tafika usually on a pile of elephant dung.  After a nice send off we headed back to Lusaka with a stop at Tribal Textiles.

Next will be Chapter Two:  Kafue

fullsizeoutput_dc1a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d154.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dc71.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dc5d.jpeg

madaboutcheetah

@marg - Loving the report.  I'd return to Tafika in a heartbeat!!!  Such awesome vibes there ....... Carol, John and Bryn were a delight to be around.  I would love to return to SLNP one year during Carmine season.  Did they have a hide at Tafika?  I loved Tribal textile too ...... Nice for gifts.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Great report, love your night shots of lions and also the young male leopard standing in the tree in the late afternoon light.

1 hour ago, madaboutcheetah said:

@marg - Loving the report.  I'd return to Tafika in a heartbeat!!!  Such awesome vibes there ....... Carol, John and Bryn were a delight to be around.  

Me too - to both loving the report, and returning to Tafika

So pleased to see Jen coppinger returning to Tafika! she is such a lovely person, just like her parents. Is that John at the extreme left of the photo? 

Seeing your elephants crossing the Luangwa River stirred such a strong longing to return to the simple but embracing joys of being in the bush with the wildlife. 

More, please. 

madaboutcheetah
49 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

Me too - to both loving the report, and returning to Tafika

So pleased to see Jen coppinger returning to Tafika! she is such a lovely person, just like her parents. Is that John at the extreme left of the photo? 

Seeing your elephants crossing the Luangwa River stirred such a strong longing to return to the simple but embracing joys of being in the bush with the wildlife. 

More, please. 

That's Bryan ....... Isaac next to him.

@Treepol@Atravelynn@CDL111@Ratdcoops@Kitsafari@madaboutcheetah  more thank yous!

I am not aware that there was a hide for the Carmines, although there might have been.  I think that we would have known.

It is Bryan, Issac, Heather, Jen and Nick.  Another photo from the bar is with John and Nick.

John did come by on his bicycle to say good bye to us.

fullsizeoutput_dc37.jpeg

Great report and so many superb photos, including amazing nighttime photos.

Loved this report.  I may have used up my daily allottment of "likes" on this!  Excellent photos of some outstanding sightings.  Thank you for sharing.  Off to read the next installment now!

@Julian@amybatt...thank you!  It is fun writing a trip report as I relive the times in camp and the game drives all over again.

We have thoroughly enjoyed chapter one,  looking forward to chapter two.