Brownies at Lagoon; Splash "special"; From Twin Pools to Kwena Lagoon and beyond - A Kwando Safari Oct/Nov 2018

madaboutcheetah

I'm really enjoying this report Hari. In particular the pics of brown hyaenas - lovely.

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

Dear All,

Just getting back to this thread - Thank You all for your time and interest in this report ...... Much appreciated all your kind comments!!!

I had a couple of PMs that I've answered privately ...... but, I haven't addressed those in this report.  We loved our time at Lagoon and Lebala as always ....... The Kwando concession is very special to me!

Now, I've had a couple of PMs over the past week or two about Splash camp vs Kwara camp.  The new Kwara is supposed to be up and about in a few months.  I'd recommend those of you going to the Kwara concession give Kwara a go!  The camp will be located in the old site of the two camps so that in the first place has better access to awesome game areas. Tsum Tsum, 4 Rivers, Bat ear fox den road etc etc., So, that's my recommendation.

Splash camp itself - none of us were impressed with the camp.  Note we have no problem with the attempt to make it a luxury camp - however, the outlay and the make up of camp wasn't to our taste.  The lounge etc etc., in design /aesthetics etc etc., wasn't anything to write home about. No sense of character at all in the camp.  It felt like furniture out of an Ikea catalog to be honest ........ Camp atmosphere is important to us, and it just felt soul less!!!   I haven't any idea how game drives will be run with the opening of New Kwara.  IMHO there are enough sightings to go around if guides wish to find their own animals on game drive and do some tracking - however, if not then the dreaded Queue system will be in full force and the same sightings will have to go around (radio control ala Radio Botswana) ....... Hope this helps! 

Cheers

Hari

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Whoah! Some amazing sightings on that trip @madaboutcheetah. Wonderful, and of course you caught it all beautifully as usual. I didn't "like" every post as I didn't want to fill your "notifications" up but I certainly liked every post. Actually pretty jealous of that one, Hari -  definitely a bit green here! Made worse by my longest safari drought since 2005 not even being at its midpoint yet! :angry:

I finally finished your amazing TR. really loved those hyena pup shots, all the doggie/painted wolfie shorts and the lions as well. 

As always, such brilliant photos.

thank you for sharing! 

P/s i tried to like but its not working. ?

• 4 months later...
Amylovescritters

Loved re-reading this report. Looking at Bots for 2021 green season... Maybe late 2020 after seeing this. Lol. Definitely including Kwando. Thanks 

@madaboutcheetah  Hari.....your trip report/s have been such an inspiration to many of us.  And, YES, we ARE booked at Lebala and Lagoon next July/August.  Many thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hi Hari, I haven't visited this website for years and was surprised to read Hobbs passed away. An incredible guide with his heart on the right place.  May he rest in peace.

madaboutcheetah

@skimmer - Johan???  How you doing?  Trust all is well and that you staying safe from all the madness out in this world ......

Yes, very sad indeed - RIP Hobbs.  He passed away in October 2018 ....... 

Hi Hari, we are all trying to cope with the madness in this world. I am well and hope you and your family are fine too.  10 years ago there was this thunderstorm in the Central Kalahari.

Edited by skimmer

madaboutcheetah

All well here, Thanks ...... Indeed, I'd never forget that T'storm with Ewan.