Beautiful plumage, lovely scenery - an overdue report from Zimbabwe

ld1

@Game Warden That makes you and me both - maybe one day!

@twaffle How have YOU never been to Hwange!?!? It’s made for you, the colours were amazing. 

@Tom Kellie I especially liked the captions in that book and I imagine Yubi is indeed living a coseted aristocratic life, as he should be. 

Edited by ld1

10 minutes ago, ld1 said:

@Tom Kellie I especially liked the captions in that book and I imagine Yubi is indeed living a coseted aristocratic life, as he should be. 

~ @ld1

Thank you!

Were Yubi to head out on safari, his one requirement would be a plunge pool with a bowl of freshly steamed chicken breast chunks beside it.

He's satisfied with the best!

Tom K.

1 hour ago, ld1 said:

@twaffle How have YOU never been to Hwange!?!? It’s made for you, the colours were amazing. 

I almost went about 25 years ago to work with a scientist  who was based there.  Life got in the way, I had children and safaris just went on hold.  I will get there, I feel confident.

Edited by twaffle

Thank you for sticking to your New Year's resolution. B) I am really enjoying your TR and beautiful photos. Hwange is a very special place. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the hiatus. One of our cats became quite ill suddenly and after a week  or so of perplexing normal bloods and a bit of rallying on her part we finally found out it was time to let her go. I know many STers will have pets and so you’ll know  how stressful it all is towards the end. Daisy was a tiny, adorable, stubborn as a mule kind of cat and we’ll miss her dearly. Her brother on the other hand couldn’t give two hoots and is enjoying being centre of attention! 

969D4E57-9909-4931-B854-B87C202D950D.jpeg

We ended the day at Kennedy 2 pan again and the Elephants were already in-situ, we watched the playfulness for quite a while.

D0C64391-4E4E-43BA-BEBC-0C6FCC1FAB54.jpeg

C7254318-F723-4C7B-85E3-AAB6E5C222AA.jpeg

C7B516E0-6151-4FD8-9D6F-9645C4E43D2F.jpeg

0C7B9411-BC11-4BA9-BFA8-15714E24BD79.jpeg

23573537-7B45-44D4-A122-DCE2B1D5C2D2.jpeg

This evening we had a very special Elephant encounter. As we sipped our G&Ts we sat watching the Elephants at the edge of the forest in the distance. Slowly they came out of the forest and as the light faded the numbers grew. 

674D0A2B-23B5-4AC2-9040-0B45E63825FF.jpeg

2417249B-2AC6-4E8A-8F25-3E2668403A3B.jpeg

Being so close to camp we were able to stay until almost after dark  and it was magical watching the little ones running to the water all excited.

D313A30A-FA08-4124-A01C-204C14FE2D47.jpeg

5944182B-CFE4-43EF-B908-968E72B22987.jpeg

As the early arrivals started to retreat back to the forest and the slow procession back began, all of a sudden they all just froze in silence. Every elephant stopped, the ones leaving, the ones still drinking and the late comers. They just froze on the spot and you could have heard a pin drop. It must have only been for about 20 seconds, but of felt like a lifetime and even we were holding our breath. Then they all started moving again like nothing had happened. Who knows what they heard, saw, smelt but it was the strangest thing and none of us had a clue why. A really magical moment and so whilst it was generally all quiet on the Hwange front this trip. Sometimes the quiet brings its own treasures. Not a moment I could catch on film because the light had all but gone but the photos below are the closet I have to that moment in time.

F05D128A-0D3E-4A72-BFEE-B298E6BDADB3.jpeg

2DC40A85-252F-4314-B549-8FDA68B69C57.jpeg

14DE9663-D627-4209-90D2-8D031B1FE8A8.jpeg

Edited by ld1

50 minutes ago, ld1 said:

Apologies for the hiatus. One of our cats became quite ill suddenly and after a week  or so of perplexing normal bloods and a bit of rallying on her part we finally found out it was time to let her go. I know many STers will have pets and so you’ll know  how stressful it all is towards the end. Daisy was a tiny, adorable, stubborn as a mule kind of cat and we’ll miss her dearly. 

~ @ld1

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy's sudden loss.

It does hurt so much, especially when there's little or no advance notice.

Thank you for letting us share in your feelings.

Tom K.

Sorry to hear about Daisy, it's always tough making that final decision, even though in your heart you know it's the right one

My sincerest condolences with the passing of Daisy!

Very sorry to hear about Daisy - very upsetting.

I am very much enjoying your report - excellent photos!

@ld1 so sorry to hear about your girl Daisy.  It is a very tough decision, I know.  She looked like a well-loved and very pretty cat!

Enjoying your TR, especially your story about the silence of the elephants.  What a moment.

Towlersonsafari

It's horrid when a pet dies sorry to hear your news @ld1

On 2/4/2019 at 7:35 AM, ld1 said:

Apologies for the hiatus. One of our cats became quite ill suddenly and after a week  or so of perplexing normal bloods and a bit of rallying on her part we finally found out it was time to let her go. I know many STers will have pets and so you’ll know  how stressful it all is towards the end. Daisy was a tiny, adorable, stubborn as a mule kind of cat and we’ll miss her dearly. Her brother on the other hand couldn’t give two hoots and is enjoying being centre of attention! 

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news @ld1

my cat also named Daisy died in November, so I know exactly how you feel...

gallery_37950_1001_5191541.jpg

Edited by Tdgraves
photo

@Tom Kellie @AfricIan @Peter Connan @TonyQ @amybatt @Towlersonsafari @Tdgraves Thank you everyone for the kind words. @Tdgraves Your Daisy also looks like adorable and perhaps its something about the name as my Daisy was also a demon huntress! 

Safari Day 3

Today we went searching for those pesky cats again and we planned to start down at Ngweshla pan. We’d packed a lunch so as to stay out most of the day and shortly after arriving at the Pan we spotted vultures in the trees half a mile or so away. We hop out and off we trot hoping that it’s a Cheetah kill.

C32BF9BB-DB80-4195-9C64-B186893CED05.jpeg

Now if it is, then we should be super careful so as not to disturb the cats. Doug reminds us that Cheetahs are not overly successful hunters and so we mustn’t get to close. So we picked our way through the grass, shuffling up logs and climbing several trees but all that can be seen is quivering grass and bushes ( a la Michael Bentine style).  After about an hour we finally realised it was a pair of Jackal. They had had their fill and so we wandered over and CSI McDonald deduced it had been a Cheetah kill but clearly they were long gone. Despite the no-show it was still enjoyable as we had all the adrenalin of hoping, looking, waiting and we were after all wandering across Hwange with not a soul in sight. Watching DrS up a tree with Doug’s bino’s. DrS whisper-shouting “I think it’s a Jackal” and Doug looking furiously up at the stupid tourist whisper-shouting “are you sure? It can’t be!” At one point all three blokes were up that tree, whilst I just stood thinking whatever is there has surely buggered off by now. A classic safari-fail you might say!

B922FC09-A3CD-4F7E-BC66-23F62D9B0B2A.jpeg

12148F05-EAB3-4357-9D52-746484CC96D1.jpeg

FA01D0FC-2B77-46E1-B7E9-8ADD75024E63.jpeg

Edited by ld1

After another trot about we retreated to the pan to watch the world go by. Some wildebeest came to say hi as did a troupe of baboons. 

2BEF0324-F071-4649-87F6-2837CC9489C9.jpeg

C38029AB-5576-492B-ACB2-36624C57AAB4.jpeg

I decided to practice my bird photography before we ate lunch in the shade and bedded down for a safari nap

9A14415A-5265-47FD-ABCC-224E0D86A4F1.jpeg

187C1172-9FFF-4174-BE3E-D3F46644A694.jpeg

Edited by ld1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've found your TR @ld1 and really enjoying it so far. It really brings back memories. From the VicFalls hotel to Hwange's park reception. The VicFalls look so different from the times I've been there, would be nice to experience it with less water compared to April/May when the spray is drowning you.

Nice to see so many elephants coming for a drink. Taking some time and see what happens can be very rewarding.

Although no wildlife involved, the pictures of you standing on the branches look awesome!

Looking forward to more of your TR and hope you got to see the cheetah...