B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

I can go with that. I had looked at it but passed on as there were no landing lights and the Boots were not as prominent as they might have been.

Is that  good tick then? Hope so.

Dave Williams

It is with some disappointment that I have had my Bat Hawk/ Steppe Eagle re evaluated by my birding pal.

It's now been confirmed after I found a shot of it's wing pattern as a Wahlberg's Eagle and a pretty nifty moving one at that!

My score has been depleted.

Still 21 away from breaking my all time listing record though.I'm still not sure if I'll make it either.

Dave Williams

382) White-backed Night Heron

I have seen them before but never a clear view of the whole bird and not in breeding plumage. A bit special this one!

49014137893_291c7968da_b.jpgWhite-backed Night Heron by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Indeed - a great bird to get, never seen one. 

Never seen one either. What a beautiful photo!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Still 21 away from breaking my all time listing record though.I'm still not sure if I'll make it either.

Have heart my friend. I think I may be on hand to help with a few..

Today I just drove past some feeding birds with my camera ready and charged but took no shot. Got home and thought. I have not got that bird yet.

Shame about the Bateagle. I would never have put that down as a Wahlberg's.

Great African Hawk Eagle and terrific Night Heron. Not seen as clear a shot of that before. Truly special. I bet that got the juices flowing.

Edited by Galana
Spelling

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Still 21 away from breaking my all time listing record though.

There are 2 months till the end of this year, @Dave Williams. May I suggest you a possible destination that both you and Claire would surely enjoy? You've been there several years ago; and who knows, you might even get lucky with a spotted cat there ;)!

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

A bit special this one!

Indeed it is a very special bird. Was it taken at the middle of the night (with that ISO I would think so :lol: - great job done by camera and by PP).

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, xelas said:

There are 2 months till the end of this year, @Dave Williams. May I suggest you a possible destination that both you and Claire would surely enjoy? You've been there several years ago; and who knows, you might even get lucky with a spotted cat there ;)!

I think I will make it Alex, especially as I keep missing ones as I'm trying to update my BY and write a TR at the same time!! Not sure which place you are thinking of Alex, Sri Lanka perhaps? We did consider it but to be honest we have decided to stay put now until after the New Year. Then? Who know! Hopefully grab a bargain.

2 hours ago, xelas said:

Was it taken at the middle of the night

If taken in the middle of the night Dave would be in bed. The bird is crepuscular so pre dawn or late dusk seems likely. Absence of shadow and clear even lit background details indicates at least some natural light. Post processing may be good but it can't put in something that ain't there. Unless a rigged shot like some of those Namibian star trails.:lol:

Dave Williams

The human eye would see something like this Alex. it was before the sun had come over the horizon but dawn was breaking. Around 5.15 am.

49017403603_0e48b9d908_b.jpgReal light by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

385) Fiery-necked Nightjar

I had forgotten about these. Seen even earlier than the WB Night-heron, they disappear when it's starting to get light. I think I shone a torch to try and illuminate it a bit more but it was 20 m away.

49017389198_e7d7e2682f_b.jpgFiery-necked Nightjar by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

This isn't a new addition but I thought I'd share this Black-backed Puffback out of interest. Apologies if it's something you haver seen before.

Try as I did though, I couldn't get the shot I wanted of the bird displaying out in the open! This usually plain bird suddenly shows where it get's it's name from.

49018491592_7a5f163715_b.jpgBlack-backed Puffback by Dave Williams, on Flickr

49017768623_33a883da86_b.jpgBlack-backed Puffback by Dave Williams, on Flickr

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Sri Lanka perhaps?

Yes, that is the destination with plenty of birds, some excellent beaches and quite affordable now.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The human eye would see something like this Alex. i

Yeah, that is what I have had in mind when saw the exif data. But the final result surpassed by far what I would expect from such an underexposed photo. Today's sensors are something else, and obviously 1Dx is a low-light monster.