PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

4 hours ago, PeterHG said:

13. Goldcrest. Flevoland, 3 January 2019

Great shot Peter...

16. Common Buzzard. Flevoland, 3 January. Our most common raptor and in winter the number triples. You can often see them perched on poles and gates, looking for a chance to grab un unsuspecting vole. That is when some of the buzzards are much more approachable than in the rest of the year.

i-QqTWZR2-XL.jpg

17. Common Kestrel. Arkemheen, 3 January. Also hunts for voles, and fortunately in still considerable numbers.

i-dKkT5Hr-XL.jpg

i-mQt8H5R-XL.jpg

A great start and no doubt it will continue. What an amazing shot of the Goldcrest. I have enough problems getting one sitting still.

Dave Williams

I have to agree with Ms Zim ! Both are lovely subjects if you are lucky enough to get close enough.

Fantastic Kestrel, and that incredible Goldcrest catch is ultimate proof that you are our BIF-Master!

18. Eurasian Wigeon. Arkemheen, 9 January. Hundreds of these ducks, well maybe even thousands, are present in the area during the winter. The 'Arkemheen' polders are close to where I live and can produce interesting birds all year round. 

i-Ng4SGDc-XL.jpg

The most important landmark is the old steam pumping station that can be seen here. Not with Wigeons, obviously, but a flock of Curlews. I won't include them in my count again, I promise ;)

i-BCh3d6Q-XL.jpg

19. Grey Heron. Arkemheen, 9 January. 

i-W4P6Bt6-XL.jpg

i-FXGwcks-XL.jpg

20. Great Egret. Arkemheen, 9 January. We have no breeding egrets in the polders here as there are no extensive reed beds. In winter they gather here in considerable numbers, though.

i-GtS8tB7-X2.jpg

21. Eurasian Teal. Arkemheen, 9 January. They are really tiny, compared to the Mallards and Wigeons

i-HHQGpt4-L.jpg

Those little birds are really tough to capture! Belated happy birthday Sir!

Lovely shots of the raptors too.

Edited by Peter Connan

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Belated happy birthday Sir!

Thank you, @Peter Connan

22. Great Crested Grebe. Arkemheen, 9 January. A common bird, wherever there is enough water. They can have quite fierce territorial disputes, but for now, all is still peaceful.

i-XtV9Jf3-X2.jpg

23. Siskin. Amersfoort, 11 January. Liek @michael-ibk pointed out with his excellent Siskin series, they are usually found high up in the trees and more difficult to photograph. I'm proving his point here :)

i-RJ86v48-L.jpg

24. Short-toed Treecreeper. Amersfoort, 11 January. Not uncommon at all, but constantly on the move, so I've never really been able to take a good shot of one. At least not a better one than this. The same patch of trees as the Siskins and the same grey weather, but iso 6400 did the job

i-TKBkCHg-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

In the lead at the first corner! Keep it up.

25. Common Moorhen. Amersfoort 14 January. Quite common indeed, though not as numerous as the Coot and usually a little more shy.

i-dXnBm66-XL.jpg

26 Eurasian Coot. Amersfoort, 14 January. 

i-pSMPgdQ-XL.jpg

i-JSkFCXq-XL.jpg

Looks like in Europe, we are seeing same birds at the start of the season. Yours are nicer, though :).

4 hours ago, xelas said:

Looks like in Europe, we are seeing same birds at the start of the season. Yours are nicer, though :).

I don't know about that but I do know who's bound to win again at the end of the year...;)

Dave Williams

We'll make him work for it though Peter!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

We'll make him work for it though Peter!

Count me in too. After all he has help so needs a handicap.:o

Everybody know I am real handicap.

27. Mallard. Arkemheen, 18 January. I bit of sunshine today so let's get the Mallard into the count. If it weren't so common, we would marvel at the colours every time we saw one.

i-b8j7h9B-XL.jpg