PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

A brilliant 300, and you BIF shots are stunning 

Some superb photography here and congratulations on the 3rd Century. More please!

301. Common Shelduck. Lauwersmeer, April. The red bill of the male is especially striking at this time of the year. Very common in this area.

i-K4TGSZj-X2.jpg

302. Common Swift. Lauwersmeer, April

i-fDTvGnC-L.jpg

303. Common Cuckoo. Arkemheen, May. The third 'common' bird in a row ;). I just love hearing the sound of the Cuckoo and it's a shame that it arrives pretty late and leaves again pretty early.  In spite of its size it is surprisingly hard to see sometimes. I was luck to catch flight shots of both the male and the female in May.

i-rg58wGC-L.jpg

i-XRjh7Vk-L.jpg

304. Willow Warbler. Arkemheen, May. At one of my usual haunts a Willow Warbler appeared to have built a nest close by the footpath. I just sat there quietly for some time and time and again it landed in the same little tree on its way there.

i-nNBTrR8-XL.jpg

i-mGjk7Sd-XL.jpg

305. Common Linnet. Arkemheen, May. And as a bonus I also got visited by the beautiful male Linnet. 

i-JrhqTc7-XL.jpg

306. Greater Black-backed Gull. Zeeland, May. A day-trip to the southern province of Zeeland always provides u number of gulls.

i-3c64w96-X2.jpg

307. Lesser Black-backed Gull. Zeeland, May. Yellow legs instead of pink ones

i-bbDXCKL-X2.jpg

308. Black-headed Gull. Zeeland, May. Well. brown-headed, really.

i-8GHhgZz-X2.jpg

309. Mediterranean Gull. Zeeland, may. This more like a black head. It is called Zwartkopmeeuw (black-headed gull) in Dutch.

i-fH4hBBG-X2.jpg

5 hours ago, PeterHG said:

It is called Zwartkopmeeuw

Is that why it is wearing a name tag on its leg?:o

310. Sanderling. Zeeland, May.

i-Jx556hV-X2.jpg

311. Grey Plover. Zeeland, may. Still plenty of them around, many in summer plumage.

i-ndzvGsH-X2.jpg

i-sj7mTvs-X2.jpg

312. Eurasian Spoonbill. Zeeland, May. Doing quite well fortunatley

i-pjLnW3Z-X2.jpg

313. Bar-tailed Godwit. Zeeland, May. Also still a fair number around as you may have noticed in the Grey Plover shot.

i-xRtvptt-X2.jpg

314. Common Gull. Zeeland, May. 

i-FTK9LLv-XL.jpg

315. Common Tern. Petten, May. My wife sometimes goes out with a small photography club to spend a day taking pictures based on a theme that was chosen beforehand. Enjoyable days mostly. A few of them had asked if I would be willing to give a little workshop of birds in flight photography. For that purpose one needs a steady flow of flying birds, so I took them to a mixed colony of Common and Sandwich terns somewhere in the north-west of the country. At regular intervals terns came back from the nearby sea with or without a catch and provided ample opportunity for photography. The only disadvantage was that we only arrived there shortly before midday and, as it was quite sunny, the light was rather harsh. Still we spent some productive hours and they all assured me they had a great time and learned a lot. Even though I do not consider myself an expert by any means, it's nice to share some of the things one has picked up. And come back with a few shots yourself....;)

i-6fGJGjg-XL.jpg

To give you an idea of the scenery....

i-SdTmfgH-XL.jpg

316. Sandwich Tern.

i-szbjxJ8-XL.jpg

Exceptional photos, as usual.

Peter Connan

I agree. Wish I could have joined the workshop!

Thank you, @pedro maia and @Peter Connan.

4 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I agree. Wish I could have joined the workshop!

It would certainly have been fun doing a workshop together, Peter, I could undoubtedly learn just as much from you!

So, Peter(HG), can I apply for a similar workshop mid-October :)?

2 hours ago, xelas said:

So, Peter(HG), can I apply for a similar workshop mid-October :)?

No more terns in October, I'm afraid:P

317. Common Redshank. Petten, May. Apart from the terns there were several other waders present. This Redshank agreed to pose later in the day, when the light was softer.

i-V63td28-XL.jpg

318. Sedge Warbler. Arkemheen, May. The first to return to the reedbeds and the most conspicuous one.

i-4wJWvHc-XL.jpg