PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

319. Eurasian Wren. Ameide, June. A visit to a nature reserve with extensive reedbeds. The smalles inhabitant, but perhaps also the loudest...

i-9gx3fFT-L.jpg

320. Icterine Warbler. Ameide, June. I had not seen this warbler for a few years. It did not show too well, but good enough for a distant shot. 

i-kdHKJBX-L.jpg

321. Greenfinch. Ameide, June. One of our more beautiful finches, I think.

i-cjHtvgs-XL.jpg

322. Cetti's Warbler. Ameide, June. It used to be very rare, but you hear them more and more in the right habitat. Seeing them is mostly another matter, though. This individual showed well, though.

i-2Jz2wNw-XL.jpg

your Wren is just so much nicer than mine Peter

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

your Wren is just so much nicer than mine Peter

Thanks Martin, I was very lucky the Wren decided to give its concert on the bare tree stump!

323. Savi's Warbler. Ameide, June. Its song is unmistakable and the reserve is always a good place to hear one and sometimes even to see it well enough for a photograph. 

i-9dD5szb-L.jpg

324. Eurasian Reed Warbler. Ameide, June. Quite common in the reedbeds.

i-cxRCwZ7-XL.jpg

325. Marsh Warbler. Ameide, June. The last one of the reed warblers to arrive. I can't really tell it apart from the previous one, but fortunately the song is quite different. More varied with lots of imitations.

i-jSx3PgR-XL.jpg

gorgeous warblers, and your Olympus gear is serving you well

excellent photos as always Peter. Your last 3 warblers were all warbling. 

A really excellent collection of warblers.

We have heard a number of Cettis this year but not yet had a clear view of one, so well done with your fine photo.

Thanks @Soukous, @Kitsafari and @TonyQ.

Apart from all the reed warblers the main reason for birders to visit the reserve are the next two species:

326. Purple Heron. Ameide, June.

i-LwTCnHQ-XL.jpg

327. Black Tern. Ameide, June. About 15 artificial nesting spots have been created for the terns, to which they return every year. A short footpath leads to a little deck in the reeds, offering good views of the little lake and the nests. You need to arrive early or be patient as it is a popular spot for photographers. Shooting them against the sky is no problem, but they often fly in low against a background of tall reeds, posing quite a challenge for the autofocus. I went to the reserve on two separate occasions and the second time my camera had been upgraded with the latest firmware, which was supposed to have improved the Af capabilities. The difference was noticable. I was quite happy with the performance as it was, but i feel it has become even better and allowed me to take quite a few shots against the reeds. Sorry, I can't resist posting a little series, they are my favourite terns......

i-mmDgKJk-X2.jpg

i-g9pBLRx-XL.jpg

i-z7XQ9J3-XL.jpg

i-2KgZQQM-XL.jpg

Peter Connan

With shots like that, who wouldn't want to see them!

pedro maia

Amazing pictures Peter.

Excellent pictures of the Purple Heron and Black Terns @PeterHG

• 2 weeks later...

329. Common Redstart. Leusden, June. In spite of its name it is not very common at all in my part of the country, so always a treat to see one.

i-bz5MT9F-XL.jpg

330. Eurasian Skylark. Drente, June. Still holding its ground after the dramatic decline a few decades ago. 

i-QSdLKHs-L.jpg

331. Tree Pipit. Drente, June. 

i-PJmXQ7Z-L.jpg

A trip to the far north of the country (well far...) to try and see some waders. Not as good as on other occasion but this sandpiper in summer plumage was a good find, although it kept its distance.

332. Spotted Redshank. Lauwersmeer, June.

i-4F5bhvn-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Superb Black Tern and a beautiful Redstart

9 hours ago, PeterHG said:

332. Spotted Sandpiper. Lauwersmeer, June.

Spotted Redshank surely Peter? Nice to see it though but my Eurobook is at home and I am sitting birdless in AMS.:o

55 minutes ago, Galana said:

Spotted Redshank surely Peter? Nice to see it though but my Eurobook is at home and I am sitting birdless in AMS.:o

Sometimes I type too quickly for my age. Of course, it is, thank you! I corrected it. Have a safe tip home.

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams

Classy shots as usual Peter, and I have caught up with your posts at last. Been ever so busy recently so going back , the Willow Warbler is superb, the Tern and Windmill is very, well very Dutch...love it, and the Marsh Warbler is one I haven't seen. Great shots of nearly everything! Great score too for the half year, how many in Holland?