PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

Dave Williams

Excellent video and a nice aid to ID's too.

• 3 weeks later...

Extremely quiet at the moment. A trip to the local meadows did not add anything to the score, but it was nice being out anyway.

We all know Starlings are good imitators. This one does a pretty decent imitation of  a Ruff

i-69WfBTV-X2.jpg

The Kestrels came closer than usual

i-Tjc5KCp-X2.jpg

And still enjoying the presence of the Barn Swallows. Not for vey much longer, though.

i-DBfzGM8-XL.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed the video.what an adorable sloth baby! and stunning opener with the basilisk lizard - a true dinosaur looking reptile!

Thank you @Kitsafari. Yes that Basilisk looks prehistoric, doesn't it?

Great photos as always, a real inspiration. I love the Starling, looks like he has little love-hearts all over his front - superb portrait. 

I took a little trip to a reserve some 40 minutes form here and even managed to add a few for the list. 

336. Little Gull. Flevoland, August. Rather distant but unmistakable. The second shot shows the size difference with the Black-headed Gull

i-BFg3MhZ-XL.jpg

i-NgZcKBF-XL.jpg

One of the hides has a branch put in front of it as a perch for the local kingfisher. A nice unobstructed view.  Of course it always chooses the perch further away and partially hidden buy the reedbed. In quite a few pictures I took the Kingfisher is visible through a haze of the waving reeds. But I did get some with a clear window and it was worth it just watching the bird struggle with the fish.

337. Common Kingfisher. Flevoland, August

i-mDFnkrb-XL.jpg

Beautiful Kingfisher! Well worth the effort. That Little Gull reminds me that I really should spend more time looking at Gulls - I just normally assume they’re all the same and move on

wow on that kingfisher shot!

It was hot today, but I was up early to try and find the Aquatic Warbler that had been spotted quite near yesterday. No luck, but I did get this little raptor.

338. Eurasian Sparrowhawk. Arkemheen, August.

i-2DcPLNK-L.jpg

It's time to have a good look at my BY list and see what I'v skipped so far. Well, I had not included a few of the common birds around here. Was it because I was waiting for better ones? Probably just laziness, but now the year is advancing I have to see whether I can get close to last year's total, so I'll add a few:

339. Northern Lapwing. Arkemheen, August

i-5snn6bT-L.jpg

340. House Sparrow, Amersfoort, August. Yes, I had even skipped this one. I do't photograph many birds in my garden as opposed to some lucky ones here, but we do get sparrows...

i-xRVjb6K-L.jpg

341. Pied Avocet, Flevoland, August.

i-Q3D9dfd-L.jpg

342. Barnacle Goose. Zeeland, May. Most of them leave our country in spring, but an ever increasing number stay and nest here.

i-kfHJHxp-L.jpg

i-6nKbnwQ-L.jpg

Peter Connan

Magnificent photos of your locals. These were definitely worth waiting for!

Keeping local has advantages at times. Love that Barnacle Gosling.

I really enjoy looking at your photos, @PeterHG! They are reminding me that October is coming closer by trhe day :)!

Catching up and it’s allways a treat to see you pictures Peter.

Really enjoying seeing some more of your local birds.

Great kingfisher photo.

Another morning trip to Flevoland, before temperatures rose too much. I spent an hour in a hide, which gave me good views of:

343. Common Snipe. Flevoland August

i-zVQLg8J-XL.jpg

As a bonus a magnificent juvenile White-tailed Eagle flew by. Already in the count, but this one was much better. Quite distant even so, but a good opportunity to try out the 2.0 converter with the 300mm lens. FF equivalent of 1200mm. The exif said the eagle was 330 metres away, so I'm happy with the result.

i-qPmLNtk-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Very nice shots, and both photos have enough of details for the very long FL, and use of converter.

Lovely new additions Peter, wonderful kingfisher!

brilliant additions. 

I love the common snipe one, great light and no graduation between water & sky - cool effect