PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

That Spoonbill in flight is beautiful.

Peter Connan
7 hours ago, Galana said:

That Spoonbill in flight is beautiful.

I fully agree!

stunning shots all but wow did the red legged honeycreeper and manakin pop for me!

94 (CR 53). Short-billed Pigeon. Cano Negro, February. Somehow I tend to overlook pigeons and doves, I don't really know why. I only took one distant shot of this one. I'll give this group a little more attention in the next few posts to make up for it

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

95 (CR 54). Pale-vented Pigeon. Cano Negro, February. Same for this one.

spacer.png

96 (CR 55). White-winged Dove. Cano Negro, February. 

spacer.png

97 (CR 56) Grey-headed Dove. Cano Negro, February. The only location we saw it.

spacer.png

98 (CR 57). Grey-necked Wood-Rail. Cano Negro, February. We saw it quite often and sometimes they were quite confiding.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

A boat tour in the Cano Negro region is a must and also this time it did not disappoint. When we started out we came upon this rather unusual scene. Not a bird for the count, but perhaps still of interest. A rather unfortunate swim for the Iguana

spacer.png

spacer.png

Back to the birds then:

99 (CR 58). Ringed Kingfisher. Cano Negro, February.

spacer.png

100 (CR 59). Laughing Falcon. Cano Negro, February. This was in fact at the end of the boat trip, but this beautiful raptor deserves a more prominent spot.

spacer.png

Peter Connan

Well done on fhe 100! A lovely bird to get there on too!

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

spacer.png

Great shot, although not for the poor iguana...

Well done on the 100 @PeterHG  Your Costa Rica birds are all beautiful but the blue of that Red legged Honeycreeper is stunning.

Congratulations on #100! Costa Rica delivered to you, and you are delivering to us! Splendid photography!!

Well done on reaching 100 - and the Laughing Falcon is an excellent photo to achieve this!

Congratulations on reaching your Century and what a good bird to carry you over the line.

congrats on the 100th, and what a beautiful falcon to mark it.

Dave Williams

Agreed on the above! Excellent action capture .....  is it a Caiman or Crocodile?

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Agreed on the above! Excellent action capture .....  is it a Caiman or Crocodile?

Thanks, Dave. In the Cano Negro region it's Caiman. The guide told us they are completely harmless to humans. You could go for a swim there and you would not be attacked. I did not put it to the test.

101 (CR 60) Nicaraguan Grackle. Cano Negro, February. No great photo opportunities, but the was the only location, we could have seen this Grackle. 

spacer.png

102 (CR 61). Anhinga. Cano Negro, February.

spacer.png

spacer.png

103 (CR 62). Great Blue Heron. Cano Negro February.

spacer.png

104 (CR 63) Boat-billed Heron. Cano Negro, February. We saw a few more, but only one showed well enough for a picture.

spacer.png