Kruger Self drive Jan 2019 - Call of The Woodland Kingfisher

Hads

Thanks @michael-ibk we were truly lucky blessed the last 3 days.

We stopped at Skukuza for a wonderful lunch overlooking the Sabie River.

There is always plenty to see and the Vervot Monkeys provide plenty of entertainment and are pretty cute.

Cape Buffalo

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

Who you looking at....

IMG_1917.JPG

We better find mum.

IMG_1924.JPG

In my Comfort zone......

IMG_1929.JPG

Why cant you just sleep like your brother....

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

I Love this shot.

IMG_1945.JPG

Edited by Hads

We left Skukuza and headed southwards back towards Biyamiti - being the hottest part of the day it was a little quiet.

We heard about a leopard kill on the S65 N'waswitshaka waterhole road - but the leopard was resting out of site when we arrived.

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

Our journey also took us via the Transport dam , one of my favourite places in Kruger - there was 2 Cheetah sited but they were flat sleepy cats.

IMG_1949.JPG

Lovely fish eagle at the Transport dam

IMG_1951.JPG

Mr Hippo out enjoying the midday heat .

IMG_1955.JPG

White faced ducks

IMG_1956.JPG

Closer to camp there was a resting Dagga boy and a pair of nice Klipspringers.

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

Near the western end of the Private Biyamiti road is a nice weir which you drive past at eye level - it has some resident hippos.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Edited by Hads

As it was a big day for FIL and I we did not venture to far for our afternoon drive staying on the Private Biyamiti road.

We had some very nice sightings still and enjoyed them on our own .

We had a nice sun-downer close by at the local lookout and reminisced about our Sensational day in Kruger.

IMG_1972.JPG

And for my next trick

IMG_1974.JPG

Lovely herd of Ele's

IMG_1975.JPG

Male Kudu

IMG_1976.JPG

Ok I lost both fights and 1 1/2 horns - I had a bad day........

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

I see it.

IMG_1983.JPG

And I see you too!

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

Red billed oxpecker in action.

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

Female water buck

IMG_2014.JPG

Guinea fowl in fading light.

IMG_2016.JPG

Edited by Hads

Our last day in Kruger for this Safari  - I always have a tinge of sadness on the final game drive for the trip.

What sightings would we come across.

I discussed with FIL if we could drive North and do a big loop via the S65 to see if we could catch our lepard in the tree - obviously chances were slim.

We had a plan and we sticked to it - the day was overcast with patches of rain.

Our first sighting was a cracker though - 3 large male lions on our private road, no other cars just FIL and I. We stopped and had a very early coffee and rusk and enjoyed these big guys.

They moved around a little with our presence and then settled down to rest again watching us from a distance.

No 1

IMG_2018.JPG

No 2

IMG_2019.JPG

No 3

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

What a cracking start to our day.

IMG_2042.JPG

Which one do you want to eat??????????????

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

We left the big boys in peace and drove off with big smiles in our hearts.

IMG_2062.JPG

At the Weir was Mr Hippo with his back turned to us

IMG_2065.JPG

North of the weir along the  S114 we had a Ele road block.

This guy was resting his trunk and then decided to have a dust shower.

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

We have to wait awhile until we could get past.

IMG_2079.JPG

Edited by Hads

The S114 is always a pleasant drive, next up was a couple of stunning White Rhino's.

IMG_2082.JPG

You can't help but feel sad when you are in the presence of these wonderful animals and you can only pray for the safety of there future.

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

We continued along to the S65 road to try get a glimpse of the leopard with it's kill. Unfortunately most of the dead impala was gone and the leopard was nowhere to be seen.

However once we got onto the H11 there was 2-3 cars driving slowly and looking for something in the long grass. A very friendly guy in a landrover said they spotted a leopard walking along but was hard to see.

We got a glimpse.........

IMG_2091.JPG

We made eye contact - she was a stunner.

IMG_2098.JPG

She then climbed a tree directly in front of FIL and I - AMAZING. We stopped the car and had another coffee and rusk and enjoyed her presence for about 25 mins before decided to move on.

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

Striking pose

IMG_2106.JPG

Let's get up further shall we.

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Silhouette in the overcast skies.

IMG_2115.JPG

With a keen eye she was scanning the area.

IMG_2118.JPG

She then gave us some wonderful photo opportunities.

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

Is rain coming??

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

Not long after this shot she hopped down and walked deeper into the long grass

IMG_2151.JPG

FIL and I High 5 each other as we slowly drove off.

Edited by Hads

FIL mentioned we should have breakfast down at the Afsaal traders rest camp which sounded like a fantastic idea to me.

You would not believe it though just north of Afsaal about 1 km there was about 4 cars stopped on a hill watching another leopard sleeping in a Marula tree.

It was tricky to get a decent look and the rain was getting heavier - we stopped for a few minutes and decided to go have a lekker breakfast :) .

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

After breakfast  we headed south along the down the H3 and took a little detour along the S118 and then back on the S114 before we got to the exit gate at Malelane.

The S118 is a stunning little drive along the Mhlambane river -  we had 2 beautiful sightings of Bateleurs.

The first in a tree.

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

The second was on the S114 and was eating a  leopard tortoise that had been run over by a car  - well I assume it had anyway.

IMG_2165.JPG

These are a Majestic bird

IMG_2174.JPG

Nothing is wasted in the wild.

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

Another striking pose

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

Not much will escape these Talons........

IMG_2193.JPG

Thanks to everyone who followed along with my Trip Report, I hope you all enjoyed it.

FIL and I had a blast.

Thankyou Kruger for sharing your treasure's once again.

Goodbye :) 

IMG_2197.JPG

Edited by Hads

Towlersonsafari

Hurrah! what a splendid series of sightings-we cannot wait until we are there next-only a year! thanks very much @Hads

Your welcome @Towlersonsafari and thanks for following along the journey.

Dave Williams

Great stuff Hads. If I get half the sightings you did I'll be delighted!

The Tortoise being run over by a car seems like a really unnecessary thing to happen, it's not as if they dash in front of you after all.A shame.

@Hads, reading your TR with some excellent sightings made me realise that I desperately need a Kruger fix. :D Thank you!

@Ritsgaai - maybe it's time for the Kruger fix.

@Dave Williams thanks for following along the TR. I am sure you will get many wonderful sightings.

It is a shame about the Tortoise - they are no speed demon. Some drivers have no respect thats for sure :( .

Thank you for the excellent trip report! I cannot wait to visit Kruger one day. Beautiful pictures!

• 5 months later...
Dave Williams

I have just been re reading the Biyamiti section as I have now booked it for next year. You had remarkable luck seeing what you did in such a short space of time!

Hi @Dave Williams - I think you will really enjoy Biyamiti, nice private road and the Biyamati weir is close by :D

Dave Williams
10 hours ago, Hads said:

Hi @Dave Williams - I think you will really enjoy Biyamiti, nice private road and the Biyamati weir is close by :D

That's exactly why I booked it!