Kitsafari

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

See, fixed that for you. :)

LOL - thank you Michael. :)

424/ GN34 : Mozambique Nightjar, rattling on an extremely bumpy route on sandy savannahs of Loango NP

DSC04786.JPG.2f8269204f3a24b6e3b3b39a82829d07.JPG

425/GN35 : Yellow-billed Oxpecker, Loango NP

When i was taking this shot, I was..er... preoccupied with the pretty fringed-eared forest buffalo and nearly forgot about the oxpeckers.  

DSC04705.JPG.a70f3754e35abea4d1a3e4eef5655526.JPG

426/GN36 : Pink-backed Pelican, Loango NP

1821724271_DSC03520-pinkbackedpelican.JPG.fe296909ddea9fdfc05efbc512a7c31c.JPGDSC03511-3.JPG.0dffbcde989bab15e396c133372aa50b.JPG

427/GN 37 : Great White Pelican, Ogooue River/ Loango NP

I thought I had this in my Bots count, but looking back at my list, it isn't there. hmm. 

DSC02299-2.jpg.fb2d06ecc5cfcbd04a74e5d6e277cb13.jpgDSC02272-2.jpg.8dcf4deeb1bbe008185bfe2434bf8554.jpgDSC04345.jpg.973cf0e48a3bf626fbb8075fb250a7f8.jpg

428/ GN38 : Tawny-flanked Prinia, Booue

744986102_DSC01078-tawnyflankedprinia-booue.JPG.64de3d3a31d40416368ead0e5ac4579e.JPG

429/GN39 : Red-eyed Dove, Lope Lodge/ Loango Lodge

148704372_DSC02477-redeyeddove.jpg.efd9529cd399cfa5e56a026ec3eaab3a.jpg

430/GN40 : African Green Pigeon, Lope Lodge

Nope, it just didn't want to look at me. 

1498365931_DSC00819-africangreenpigeon.JPG.821c108ba1bd2d6856d71d84ea66d478.JPG

431/GN41 Rock Pigeon - thanks to Michael and Galana for the encouragement to add. and it's too pretty not to add. 

DSC00392.JPG.c38fe7299befad913b96b73401ee3ca5.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

Why don´t you count it?

hmm I am thinking it's like a feral bird and I'm not that desperate, unless I have one short to 500th, I may re-consider it!

Thanks Michael.  

Pff, you should be much more ruthless Kit. ;-)

I think most of us have it in the count somewhere. Personally I´d say feral and introduced birds are fine, they are wild after all. I´ll draw the line with Chicken though - which is probably a mistake as well (just go read "Guide ot the Birds of East Africa", the novel!).

by nicholas Dayson? i've always thought it was a proper and real guide! will order it now that you've brought it to my attention and made me intrigued. 

Yes, exactly. It´s a novel all right, two men vying for the affection of a lady but with a twitcher´s twist - whoever scores more birds wins. It´s quite a charming book.

14 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

i've always thought it was a proper and real guide!

Are you in for a pleasant surprise. One of the nicest little novels. It is on the shelf above me as I write. EDIT. @michael-ibk  Spoiler alert.:angry:

As for Columba livia. Go for it. If it's on the checklist it counts.

Welcome to the ECB club. Two fine entries there and the Green Pig would make a worthy runner up.:P

Edited by Galana
Additional updated comment.

Not really a spoiler - it´s the premise after all?:)

well, BookDepository put in the summary - exactly what Michael said and more! more of a spoiler alert at that website. 

already ordered, and good for a read in December. 

thanks @michael-ibk and @Galana

and ok, I'll add the rock pigeon - to rock my BY count. :)

Edited by Kitsafari

I think we all have a rock pigeon/dove in our country!

Some very nice additions from Gabon, and a potential prize winning EBC:)

3 hours ago, TonyQ said:

I think we all have a rock pigeon/dove in our country!

I think we need to get the names right.

Rock Dove, Columba livia  Is not the same as  Feral Pigeon. Columba livia domesticus

If you are lucky enough to find the true Rock Dove (West and South Europe and N. Britain) then call it thus.

The ubiquitous 'Scemmy' of Trafalgar and St. Peter's and every where else is a "Town Pigeon".

I for one would cheerfully and without a blush of shame count both!:ph34r:

@Galana

Good explanation, but surely one could only count one of them as they are the same species?

5 hours ago, TonyQ said:

but surely one could only count one of them as they are the same species?

Do you count Muscovy ducks?

It's a fine ethical point.

Ethics is a county on the Thames estuary.:blink:

Dave Williams

You have been sprinting away in my absence! Looks like I'll be lagging way behind by the end of the year.the Thing that strikes me most is the greenery all your photos are compared with the dry dusty surrounds that made up Kruger over the last month!

@Dave Williams welcome back. 

@Galana I am not a purist:) . in three years I have counted Feral Pigeon, but when I saw a “real” Rock Dove in Scotland, I didn’t count the Birmingham Feral Pigeon as well. I have counted Muscovy Duck as feral bird in UK, but if I saw wild ones in Brazil, I wouldn’t count them twice.

However, I am happy for participants to count what they want. “These are my principles, If you don’t like them, I have others”

On 10/20/2019 at 5:06 AM, Kitsafari said:

very EBC photo that is worthy of being a finalist surely? and thanks to Michael who had seen it very clearly and ID before I came along and shot it before it flew off for better pastures.

to count as an ebc shouldn't there be a bird in the photo?

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

to count as an ebc shouldn't there be a bird in the photo?

@Soukous Hahaha. very funny indeed. 

@Dave Williams I can sympathise with the dry dusty conditions in SA. Hubby was in Timbavati in September when it was so gusty and so dusty that he saw almost  nothing. and to make matters worse, he was suffering from a bellyache throughout his stay there and the wind was so strong, it blew his empty camera bag off the vehicle. It probably became a lion's toy since they never found it.