Kitsafari

501/SG160 : Fairy Pitta, Rifle Range Reserve

This fairy pitta was a huge sensation when it was sighted earlier this month, mainly because it's never ever been seen on our shores before. It looks almost like the blue-winged pitta, except for a paler chest/belly/underpart and a thin off-white supercilium. 

It is found in south-eastern China, Taiwan, South Korea and southern Japan, flying direct to Indochina and Borneo. Speculation is that this particular bird got swept up by storm winds and blown off course to our island. It is a tough bird to photograph as it skulked mainly in the thick undergrowth and was very skittish. The only photo we have between us is a real EBC (a reason why it wasn't my 500th), which I will add in the count as I don't have much hope of seeing it again unless it likes the new habitat so much it may return next year? 

It appeared for a few days and hasn't been seen since. We are going to try an evening outing on Monday, and cross our fingers get to see a very rare bird properly in Singapore. 

Before I lightened it up, this was how we saw the bird. 

DSC08961.JPG.ec362f135619a7a72f1c2dfe73b88d95.JPG

the splash of red and green made it stood out in the dark

DSC08961.JPG.1affcb3e0da23c9de6f376001b96e3a2.JPG

just about making out it's black mask and pale body

DSC08963.JPG.d5d113fba2527f0b880ffada1328c3ea.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

Peter Connan

Wow! Congratulations on the 500 and the wonderful 501! Magnificent effort.

michael-ibk

What a fantastic bird to celebrate this milestone! Congratulations Kit, you´ve really been having a sensational Big Year!

Tdgraves

What a BIG year you are having. Congratulations!

TonyQ

Well done on reaching 500, and a stunning bird to achieve this. I have really enjoyed following your thread this year 

PeterHG

Congratulations on reaching 500 and with a spectacular bird! What a great year for you both!

Kitsafari

Thank you @Peter Connan @michael-ibk @Tdgraves @TonyQ @PeterHG - I really am surprised we've come so far, but having been hooked early last year, the obsession just simply grows. 

PeterHG made a very key reminder - I should have said "for OUR inaugural 500th". thanks to Herman's excellent photos and efforts as well, otherwise the list will be full of my shots competing for the best EBCs!

Kitsafari

502/SG161: Barred Eagle Owl, Singapore Quarry

The barred eagle owls made their appearance again, having bred another successful juvenile, at the same location. But this year, the owls made intermittent and late appearances making photography pretty challenging. Herman made a one-day trip into Johor, Malaysia (I had to cancel the trip at the last minute as Jasper was very ill) where he managed to get a great shot of a resident BEO at a local resort there.

Singapore

OwlBarredEagle1-SQ.JPG.e354b86e7957f5320a12fef1bd798188.JPG

Johor

OwlBarredEagle-Palmresort.JPG.f302a6519d785ede57af4d87b2febe0c.JPG

Galana

Congratulations on a great 500 with such a nice bird too.

I also promote your 501 to the highest rank of EBC. Even when you point it out it is tough going! Great effort.

pedro maia

Congrats on the 500, with lots of lovely birds and an absolutely masterful EBC right after that milestone!!

xelas

Congratulations on achieving, and passing by #500! 

Edited by xelas

lmSA84

What a collection. As others have said this has been a great thread to follow

PeterHG

A truly magnificent photo of the Barred Eagle Owl!