espn24

South Luangwa (April 2019) - My Perspective and My Six Year Old Daughters Perspective

espn24

Just returned from an absolutely spectacular week in the South Luangwa. The park was relaxed, almost entirely empty, unimaginably beautiful and the game was everywhere. It was particularly special because it was our first time in the bush with our three year old and six year old, and I'm pleased to say they both dived in headfirst and loved it.

I will share the highlights and a bit more and my six year old daughter Aditi has asked to write her observations and post her pictures after that. 

- Robin's House at Nkwali Camp is perfect for families. Safe and flexible without sacrificing in guiding quality. And very competitively priced as well. Fred Phiri was a fantastic guide and much loved by the children 

- Offseason, whatever. It's true that unlike the last time we visited the Luangwa in the dry season, the game was widely dispersed and we had to traverse all open areas of the park to find it, but when we did it was spectacular

- Elephants were everywhere! We could barely turn a corner without running into families and herds. This was the most relaxed, substantial elephant experience I've had. Some rare sights seeing Elephants mating (our guide said first time in 18 years he saw it) and very young calves 

- Ginger and Garlic kept showing up, Just when you least expected them to and we saw the females of the pride on the hunt on a night drive 

- Two packs of wild dogs, one of which was seen almost every day. The most spectacular interaction was watching the pack of 14 trying to hunt an impala when a herd of elephant, trumpeting away, stopped them. They regrouped and were almost successful when another elephant herd blocked them. Seeing them at night on an impala kill also magic

- Three languorous Leopard sightings, watching them walk and stalk prey

- The general diversity of game -  push, impala, kudu, bushbuck, waterbuck, warthog, zebra, etc

- Days where we didn't see giraffe and then one day where we saw over 100

- Missing the buffalo until our last night when we got caught in the middle of a huge herd

- Night drives with civet, genet, rock python, porcupines, elephant shrews, bushbabies and scrub hare

- The general beauty of the Luangwa River with tons of hippo, crocodile and elephant outside our terrace

More to come! Thanks to everyone for their advice before the trip.

Kitsafari

I'm very excited to read your daughter Aditi's thoughts and photos! 

ZaminOz
14 hours ago, espn24 said:

It was particularly special because it was our first time in the bush with our three year old and six year old, and I'm pleased to say they both dived in headfirst and loved it.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear their views (through you) and your views of Luangwa with kids :)