Black-backed Jackal eating another Black-backed Jackal

SAFARILEGEND

SAFARILEGEND

First time for me after +20 years in the bush to see a Black-backed Jackal eating another Black-backed Jackal. Really eating. Not just tasting...

Got it on video :)

Jackal.jpg

Edited by SAFARILEGEND

Devouring a rival?  I have heard that rarely about tigers.  I wouldn't think there was a shortage of food, which is a a reason I have heard for polar bear cannibalism.  I'd say odd, but maybe it's not that odd.

Edited by Atravelynn

Very interesting sighting! What were the circumstances and location?

Game Warden

As you say @SAFARILEGEND not a usual occurrence. How often do predators attack and eat other predators? Especially of the same species?

Matt

SAFARILEGEND
1 hour ago, Game Warden said:

As you say @SAFARILEGEND not a usual occurrence. How often do predators attack and eat other predators? Especially of the same species?

Matt

@Game Warden Predators usually don´t eat eachother. But I have seen Leopard kill a Cheetah, took it up a tree and eat it. Leopards have been recorded killing and eating Hyenas. I have heared of Lions eating Lion and also Hyena, otherway around as well. Rare, but also Wild Dogs and Hyenas kill and eat eachother.

But first time for me to see a Jackal eat another Jackal. Never heared about that before.

SAFARILEGEND
8 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Devouring a rival?  I have heard that rarely about tigers.  I wouldn't think there was a shortage of food, which is a a reason I have heard for polar bear cannibalism.  I'd say odd, but maybe it's not that odd.

@Atravelynn More of a opportunistic moment is my guess. This happened during calving season this year in Serengeti TZ, was plenty food around.

SAFARILEGEND
8 hours ago, Marks said:

Very interesting sighting! What were the circumstances and location?

@Marks 10 min west of Naabi Hill Serengeti TZ. Arrived as it was eating on it. Plenty food around as calving season took place then.

Do we really know jackal 1 killed jackal 2? Or did jackal merely stuble across a carcass? If so, I wouldn't find that too odd, meat is meat, after all. Lionesses sometimes eat their own youngsters

SAFARILEGEND
1 minute ago, ice said:

Do we really know jackal 1 killed jackal 2? Or did jackal merely stuble across a carcass? If so, I wouldn't find that too odd, meat is meat, after all. Lionesses sometimes eat their own youngsters

@ice No, I never said it killed another Jackal. I saw a Jackal eating another Jackal. But I have never seen or heared Jackals eat eachother before. Have you? Maybe its common :)

I would have thought that eating one of the same species was not unlikely. After all a carcass is a readily available and valuable source of protein. 'Waste not, want not' as the saying goes.

I think the idea of 'cannibalism' as odd behaviour is a purely human concept.

Fascinating to see it in action; thanks @SAFARILEGEND

ForWildlife

I've only once see, in a video, hyaenas kill a wild dog (pup). I've often seen them have a go at each other, but never kill each other. We've recorded wild dogs killing a leopard (but not eating it), and I know of instances where leopards killed wild dogs and took them up a tree.

We've recorded lions killing and eating lions, hyaeans killing and eating hyaenas, lions killing hyaenas (but not eat them but it wouldn't surprise if that sometimes happens), I've heard of hyaenas killing lions and eating them. Never heard of seen it in jackals. I've heard of leopards killing bat eared foxes, pluck them, and then not eat them. I've heard of wild dogs killing and eating bat eared foxes.

6 hours ago, SAFARILEGEND said:

@Atravelynn More of a opportunistic moment is my guess. This happened during calving season this year in Serengeti TZ, was plenty food around.

I guess it is more a matter of never  pass up a meal.  That's my philosophy as well, though I'd stop short of dining on jackal.  Always something interesting going on in calving season!

SAFARILEGEND
1 hour ago, ForWildlife said:

I've only once see, in a video, hyaenas kill a wild dog (pup). I've often seen them have a go at each other, but never kill each other. We've recorded wild dogs killing a leopard (but not eating it), and I know of instances where leopards killed wild dogs and took them up a tree.

We've recorded lions killing and eating lions, hyaeans killing and eating hyaenas, lions killing hyaenas (but not eat them but it wouldn't surprise if that sometimes happens), I've heard of hyaenas killing lions and eating them. Never heard of seen it in jackals. I've heard of leopards killing bat eared foxes, pluck them, and then not eat them. I've heard of wild dogs killing and eating bat eared foxes.

@ForWildlife thanks for sharing info and experiences :)

6 hours ago, SAFARILEGEND said:

@ice No, I never said it killed another Jackal. I saw a Jackal eating another Jackal. But I have never seen or heared Jackals eat eachother before. Have you? Maybe its common :)

And I didn't say that you said so...I was merely posing a question. Of course it is not common to see jackals eating jackals. However, it is also uncommon to see carcasses of jackals. In fact, I think it is extremely rare to see carcasses of any large predators, making it obviously also uncommon to observe these carcasses being eaten. I do believe though, that I once read or heard that the meat of meat eaters tastes different from meat of herbivores, so I wouldn't be surprised if meat eaters, do they have the choice, prefer carcasses of herbivores.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, ForWildlife said:

Very interesting stuff, where is it you work with all this going on if I may ask? (out of curiosity, I'm not doubting your credentials.)

ForWildlife

Mostly when I was working in Zambia in different areas, but some of it was from Botswana.

• 3 weeks later...
vikramghanekar

Tigers are known to kill other tigers (rivals) and there have been instances when they eat the carcass.

Our aversion to eating meat of our own species probably comes from a learned behaviour to avoid getting the same disease that killed another human being. It's an excellent survival adaptation!