If planning a birding trip in Africa, where and why?

Game Warden

Game Warden

Which country and which park/reserve would you choose, and why?

What species would you be specifically hoping to see?

Matt

@Game Warden I'd love to visit Ghana to see so many species of birds which don't see in either East or Southern Africa. I'd also like to visit Uganda either alone or in combination with Rwanda. Mozambique would be awesome because there are so many species which are native there. Phinda is also a possibility. Of course I'd like to return to Grootbos Lodge in the Western Cape to see pelagic birds.

We (my bird-nerd darling hubby and I) found ourselves in Uganda for a couple of day's prior to gorilla trekking so have booked a 2 day birding adventure.  My hubby loves birds and I had heard Uganda is fantastic for birds.  Still have to research what is there, but of course we want to see the shoebill stork.  We are specifically going to Mbamba Swamp to see if we can see one. Fingers crossed!

Peter Connan

Erm, all of them?

:D

Any in South Africa ... if accompanied by @Peter Connan :). Uganda next year, with @Galana. See, I can chose my birding companions very wisely :D!

Great things with birds is that they are found easily everywhere. Even in our garden!

I'll do my bit for Ugandan tourism.

It has to be one of the best places in Africa for birding with over 1100 species n the checklist. Readily accessible and safe environment. Reasonable infrastructure and above all several different ecosystems ranging from humid Equatorial Forests, through cooler Montane to Riverine and Papyrus swamps, Savannah, Sahel and near desert. All she lacks is pelagic. And all within a compact country no bigger than Great Britain or the state of Oregon. Add in 43 bird species only found in the Albertine Rift, 600 Mountain Gorillas and most of East Africa's large mammals and you are truly in the Pearl of Africa. (c) Winston S Churchill.

What are you waiting for?

A timely reminder on companions.

Mark Twain said many things but one that sticks with me is "

"I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them".:D
I know as I still have the scars from one mistake!

We are spoiled for choice.

Uganda has got to be right at the top of the list if birds are your passion. But there are lots of other great places as well.

If we have to take budget into consideration then it is hard to beat South Africa. There can't be an easier place to self drive and there are so many small reserves where the birding is terrific.

I have always found Chobe to be excellent for birding, as well as a great place to see a wide variety of wildlife.

Does Madagascar count as Africa? Then the Andasibe National Park has some wonderful species as does the Spiny Forest in the south of the island.

If raptors are your objective then northern Tanzania is hard to beat. Serengeti/Ndutu and Tarangire make a good combination, but park fees are high.

and if we can venture beyond the Dark Continent, then Latin America is amazing; Manu in Peru is particularly good and we have had some excellent trip reports from the Pantanal.

not forgetting India, which is a delight in so many ways.

The Gambia can be visited quite cheaply and very easily from the UK and gives access to a wide range of birds

@Dave Williams is a fine ambassador for trips to that country

Edited by TonyQ

Atravelynn

Lake Langano in Ethiopia for variety, several endemics, colorful-ness, attractiveness of location, and the colobus monkeys, which I know are not birds.  What do you think about that choice @AndMic and @michael-ibk?

Wherever there is a pitta.

michael-ibk

Excellent choice, @Atravelynn, certainly one of the most prolific birding spots I´ve ever been to. Would also add a Lake Baringo/Lake Bogoria ato the suggestions already made.

Atravelynn
2 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Excellent choice, @Atravelynn, certainly one of the most prolific birding spots I´ve ever been to. Would also add a Lake Baringo/Lake Bogoria ato the suggestions already made.

I figured you'd add that after your successful birding trip there.

offshorebirder

I am planning a trip to Kasanka National Park in Zambia.   Ian Sinclair, noted ornithologist and field guide author states it is undoubtedly one of the finest birding destinations in Africa.  It has varied habitats, in good condition, and as a bonus mammals like Sitatunga and the multi-million Straw-coloured Fruit Bat migration in November-December.

Kasanka NP is also within a day-trip driving distance from Bangweulu wetlands and also not far from the Mutinondo Wilderness which are great destinations in their own right.

Peter Connan
44 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

the multi-million Straw-coloured Fruit Bat migration in November-December.

Of all the world's migrations, this is the one I would most like to see.

I vote for Madagascar (and I'm heading there this fall ;) )  With 115 endemic birds and five whole families that are found no where else, its the most unique birding in Africa for sure. Although we've done many safaris in Africa and plan to do more, I'd say this is the one country where we specifically wanted to go for birds (of course the other endemic flora and fauna are certainly an enticement as well.)