Madikwe - Awesome time @ Buffalo Ridge with the family

Hads

Family Safari in Madikwe

A small taste of what's to come - on our first Madikwe game drive.

IMG_4924.JPG

• Hads changed the title to Madikwe - Awesome time @ Buffalo Ridge with the family

Looking forward to read&see how you experienced Madikwe and Buffalo Ridge. You were there in january, weren't you?

Atravelynn

The brown hyenas appear to be back!

Hi @LarsS - we were there towards the end of January this year.

@Atravelynn we got lucky with the Brown Hyena.

A couple of weeks after FIL (Father in law) and I came back from a self driving Safari in Kruger the entire family all went to Madikwe.

The entire family included my wife and 3 kids plus FIL & MIL (Mother in law).

Why Madikwe - the main reason is that it is Malaria free and the chances of seeing the Big 5 are good and other species I have not seen before are also possible, well like the Brown Hyena.

Which accommodation to choose - well that was a hard one. Obviously I was looking for a reasonable price and good reviews (Trip advisor was a good tool to help).

I contacted several lodges which came back to me with varying quotes.

The one in the end we chose was Buffalo Ridge for 3 reasons:

1. Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge is a Community-based Safari Lodge run by the local rural Balete people.  

2. They were running a special which the other lodges would not budge at 60% off normal prices - this was a significant saving.

3. Great reviews also of local guide Elliot - he was super and a pleasure to be with and very kid friendly.

We arrived on the 22 January and departed on the 25th January - before you ask yes it was HOT but coming from the hottest part of Australia we were used to the heat.

We also celebrated FIL's 80th birthday whilst at Madikwe.

IMG_1283.JPG

The pool got plenty of use and had nice views but we saw little game from the pool area.

IMG_1286.JPG

View from the pool down to the dining area.

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

Mum and the kids enjoying the sunset on our first game drive.

IMG_1310.JPG

Buffalo ridge has a nice small lounge area t chill out and read.

IMG_1340.JPG

The accommodation was also very nice and a family of 5 fitted in nice and snugly :) 

IMG_1341.JPG

Map of Madikwe - we entered via Wonderboom gate.

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Another photo of our chalet.

IMG_1344.JPG

We were all very comfortable :) 

IMG_5051.jpg

Our super Guide Elliot - he was fantastic and great with the kids.

IMG_1321.JPG

The food was sensational - by the time we had dinner after the afternoon game drive the kids were pretty tired though.

IMG_1439.JPG

The staff I could not fault, they loved the kids and were super friendly and always checked on our needs.

IMG_1587.JPG

Edited by Hads

Peter Connan

What a beautiful setting for a lodge!

offshorebirder

Thanks for this trip report @Hads - I am looking forward to reading about your time in Madikwe.  

Happy to hear you appreciated the staff as well. I thought they were so friendly and attentive. It was really an extra highlight on our safari and a reason to come back.

I must admit it was good to get into a nice Safari routine with the Family and be driven around by a guide.

How did the kids go on Safari - They were fantastic. They completed all 6 game drives ( except for the youngest who did 4 out of 6) and were never a problem getting them up around 5am in the morning.

Morning drives started about 6:15 am and we arrived back at the lodge around 9:30 am

Afternoon drives started about 4:00 pm and we arrived back at the lodge around 7:30 pm

The kids a diary of what we saw each drive, Elliot also was patient explaining things to the kids.

We shared our vehicle with a lovely couple from the Netherlands who were on Honeymoon.

Elliot was also mindful of photography and did his best to position you in the right spot regarding the direction of the sun.

We arrived at Madikwe around 12:30 pm via Wonderboom gate and got to Buffalo Ridge about 1:00 pm and had a very warm greeting from all the Staff.

They had lunch ready for us as well which was very nice.

We checked into our rooms and went for a swim before our first game drive.

Game Drive 1

We met our wonderful guide Elliot and the young Dutch couple and then off we went.

Elliot had heard across the radio about a Lion pride resting in the shade of a Marula tree. At Madikwe the guides are aloud to drive off-road.

The lions took abit of finding but we found them.

There was 2 lovely big Males and 3 ladies - it was hot so they were chilling out.

I-Phone photo

IMG_1291.JPG

I-Phone photo

IMG_1293.JPG

Lovely Lady

IMG_4849.JPG

Spot the prickle

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

At Madikwe there is a 2-3 car maximum policy at a sighting, so after about 20 mins with the lions off we went I think in a SE direction past the airstrip scouting the edge of some open plains.

There was a scattering of plains games here and there.

We came across a nice herd of buffalo's with some calves.

Lilac Breasted Roller

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

Dagga Boy

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

Not long after the buffalo's we had our first ever sighting of a BROWN HYENA - "look Elliot what's that over there" this guy was on the move and in no mood for a photo shoot but we did have a nice sighting of him. We were all very excited - especially me , I explained to the kids how lucky we were to see the hyena.

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

His ears seemed to have skin off, maybe some sort of disease?

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

Spurfowls love to pose though!

IMG_4936.JPG

Edited by Hads

Full of excitement we continued on our way and next up was an awesome sighting of a Rhino in the dusty light.

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

Beautiful light.....

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Off to find a midden.

IMG_4960.JPG

Got it......

IMG_4965.JPG

You wouldn't believe it a few hundred metres away was Mum and Bub which enjoyed a mud bath.

How special to be sitting with 2 Rhino's having a Mudbath with the whole family - amazing stuff.

IMG_4981.JPG

This looks good.

IMG_4982.JPG

This is how you do it son :) 

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

I wonder what she is thinking about.....

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

I asked Elliot if they have experienced much poaching in Madikwe - of course his answer was Yes, he said they have even had poachers come in via parachute - these poachers must have some money behind them :(.

On a brighter note it was sun-downer time.

It does not get much better having an ice cold beer in the bush on Safari with all your loved ones watching the sunset.

Madikwe has welcomed us with open arms on our first day.

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Owl ID help please - Spotted eagle owl or Verreaux Eagle owl???

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

Spotted Hyena closer to camp

IMG_5009.JPG

And that ends a sensational introduction to Madikwe, Thanks Elliot.

Edited by Hads

Enjoying the report - great to see the kids enjoying as much as the grown-ups. I always love the sense of excitement and wonder they often have.

A brown hyena, very exciting! Have never seen one before. Interesting close up of his ears too, you can really see the details of the damaged edges of his ears. Hopefully not a disease or at least not a bad one.

What age are you other two kids? I think 4/6 gamedrives for a 4yr old is quite impressive. A few people have asked me if you can go on safari with kids in the assumption it's impossible unless they're aged 12 or older. However I have no kids myself, so can't speak out of experience.

Hi @LarsS - I have 3 kids aged 12, 9 and 7. The eldest 2 did every game drive and loved it.

1 hour ago, Hads said:

Hi @LarsS - I have 3 kids aged 12, 9 and 7. The eldest 2 did every game drive and loved it.

Oh sorry, I took the number of 4 from the amount of gamedrives the youngest went on as an age apparantly. Good to know that 9 can be a good age for children. We're thinking of a trip to SA with my wife's family, but wondered about the suitable age for our nieces (now 8 and 10). They're very keen on going, so we might not have to wait too long. Thanks!

offshorebirder

@Hads - based on the yellow eyes and barred underparts, I would say it is a Spotted Eagle Owl.

Congrats on the Brown Hyena - that is a choice sighting!

Brown hyaena? Trip made if you ask me! Great shots of it - and of everything else too!

Atravelynn

Lucky kids, and not just because of the brown hyena.  You had some mystic rhino (backlit) and some muddy rhino.

@LarsS it is great to sow the seed early for the kids teaching about wildlife and conservation - 8_10 years of age is perfect.

@offshorebirder thanks very much for the Owl ID.

@Big_Dog & @Atravelynn the Brown Hyena was definitely a highlight for me and also seeing Rhino's up close and being in there presence is very special. In regards to the Brown Hyena "watch this space".

Great to see the Brown Hyena and the Rhino. What a wonderful experience for your children (and the adults!)

Game Drive 2:

We got our wake up call around 5am. I rallied the team to get up, the youngest struggled abit but we soon had him convinced.

A quick coffee and rusk in the dining area and then we were off.

The morning was beautiful with the Golden light - Elliot seemed to know where to stop for the best photo opportunities

IMG_5014.JPG

Zebra with foal drinking in the background

IMG_5016.JPG

Red Billed oxpecker circling

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

Impala active early

IMG_5020.JPG

The light and dust make for nice photo's.

IMG_5024.JPG

We headed near a small hide and waterhole and Elliot found pride from yesterday with only 1 Male around.

First up this handsome guy.

IMG_5025.JPG

Notice the branding mark on this females hindquarters - Elliot mentioned that the lions get branded in Madikwe and there are between 40-50 lions in the reserve.

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Some type of Myna bird family maybe??

IMG_5031.JPG

Nothing like a good early morning stretch.

IMG_5033.JPG

Elliot called this lioness the "Old Girl"

IMG_5035.JPG

All the lions we saw looked very healthy.

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

Lilac breasted roller

IMG_5048.JPG

Edited by Hads

Apologies I got sidetracked and have not finished my Game drive 2 report.

After spending time with the Lion pride we headed off in the direction of another dam, their was a Boma close by as well where they hold newly introduced animals to the reserve.

Looking into the sun I saw a silhouette of a large animal sitting down on the embankment of the Dam - I asked Elliot to drive closer.

The king was overlooking his kingdom - what a stunning guy he is. Elliot called him "Indoda Indala" which translates to OLD MAN. He explained he also has another Male he hangs out with and their is rumblings things are not far from getting serious with the previous sightings of the other pride Males.

The "OLD MAN' seemed to be on high alert surveying the territory - WOW what a sighting.

The big guy looked in very good shape for an "OLD MAN".

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

He looks like he has a real presence about him.

IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

Eye Contact buddy :o

IMG_5061.JPG

Lovely Black mane!

IMG_5062.JPG

After spending some quality time with the Old man we headed off and stopped for a bush coffee and rusk.

The kids loved the hot chocolate and all the adults enjoyed the "Elephant milk" ,Amarula and Coffee.

Continuing on with the Journey we came across 2 stunning Pale Chanting Goshawks.

IMG_5082.JPG

Zebra coming to drink.

IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

My Daughter took the next couple of Zebra pictures. She loves taking photo's as well.

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

Red Hartebeest 

IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Young Male Kudu relaxing close to camp.

IMG_5118.JPG

Edited by Hads

Game Drive 3 - Started slowly then turned into a cracker :).

After a well earned rest and swim with the kids, a great lunch and some board games it was time for our afternoon game drive.

It was a touch overcast but very pleasant and we headed off in a new direction - the first hour or so was a little quiet but had nice plains game and birds.

I need some help with Bird ID please - Elliot did tell me but I have forgotten.

Cape Turtle Dove

IMG_5132.JPG

Shaft Tailed Whydah ??

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

2 Lovely Male Kudu's

IMG_5142.JPG

Giraffe family are always nice to see.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

Gnu which way your heading???

IMG_5159.JPG

Purple Roller?

IMG_5162.JPG

I have no idea on this bird........

IMG_5170.JPG

Edited by Hads

Game drive 3 cont.....

Elliot got a radio call that 2 Male Cheetah have been spotted and would we like to go? Well not a hard question but he said they are quite a distance away and we can not dawdle along.

Well we headed off to search for the sleek cats, we passed a White Rhino on the side of the road - not even a photo shot.... No time for that...... It was all happening at once.

However he next sighting was sensational another Brown Hyena - he was also on the move but we got some OK shots before he went into thick grass. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

IMG_5172.JPG

Oh no he's gone

IMG_5174.JPG

Wait he's back out.......

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

About 1km passed the Hyena we had a Rhino Road block :)  - we had come for cheetah

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

They slowly moved off.

IMG_5195.JPG

We finally arrived at the Cheetah in a beautiful open plains area - they were chilling out observing the surroundings. Apologies abit of Cheetah overload coming up!!

Another vehicle left and we got in close for some wonderful time with the cats.

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

Slowly starting to get active.

IMG_5215.JPG

What's that over yonder.....

IMG_5221.JPG

mmmm

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

Check the running gear out.......

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

Beautiful brown eyes

IMG_5283.JPG

Nice sharp little teeth

IMG_5288.JPG

Time for a quick groom session

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

Edited by Hads

We enjoyed probably 20-30 mins with these beautiful boys.

They slowly got up and headed towards a Zebra family with foals.

IMG_5299.JPG

Lets play dead...

IMG_5300.JPG

Whats that..

IMG_5303.JPG

Maybe its time to move on

IMG_5304.JPG

Stretch the lower back first.

IMG_5308.JPG

Thats better

IMG_5312.JPG

This way bro

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

Over there .......

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

Oh bugger it I'm not ready for a run yet.....

IMG_5327.JPG

The light was starting to get dark

IMG_5329.JPG

But we had another pleasant surprise............Mr White

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

Edited by Hads

We still had to have our sundowner before it got too dark BUT there was one more awesome surprise to come...

Whats that over there???????

IMG_1422.JPG

I could not believe it - less than 5 minutes after leaving the 2 Cheetah brothers was MR BROWN - our 3rd for the trip......... Apologies again about the photo quality...Fading light and novice photographers.

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

and off he goes......... :) 

IMG_5351.JPG

We then went and thoroughly enjoyed a nice cold beer and a snack - WOW what an amazing afternoon game drive. 

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Edited by Hads