LarsS

"Just being with the two of us, in the middle of the bush among wildlife and amazing sightings."  And what tremendous sightings you had, even wild dog.  Good choice to search for the lion cub and there it was nursing!  Then there was the sighting that the leopard likely had of you.  Very suspenseful presentation of the sightings board.  The Egyptian Geese with the eles is a nice contrast shot.

With this trip under your belt, you'll likely be open for more intrepid adventures.

5 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

"Just being with the two of us, in the middle of the bush among wildlife and amazing sightings."  And what tremendous sightings you had, even wild dog.  Good choice to search for the lion cub and there it was nursing!  Then there was the sighting that the leopard likely had of you.  Very suspenseful presentation of the sightings board.  The Egyptian Geese with the eles is a nice contrast shot.

With this trip under your belt, you'll likely be open for more intrepid adventures.

Thanks @Atravelynn! I'm definitely interested in more adventures! I've been thinking of returning to Bots already and also other more adventurous selfdrive trips or safaris like Mana have crossed my mind. So many African dreams :)  But yet nothing planned... (don't feel sorry, I'm about to visit Brazil and managed to book 3 nights in Pantanal on holiday what should be something different than safaris in Africa, but still a little safari)

• 4 months later...
safarigirl.se
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, LarsS said:

Some last contemplations on this trip. I think I can say on this trip I felt more alive then ever before. For all kinds of reasons:

- my senses were so alert: I already mentioned my hearing of all the sounds in the bush, but I can recall the smell of several food we made in the bush. I mean, we all know how an onion smells, but there I really smelt an onion, if you understand what I mean.

- no thinking: everyday we did what we had to do, went out to explore the bush and enjoyed it a lot. Nothing to worry about, nothing to think about, really living in the moment.

- no internet: at home I work as an online marketeer, meaning working on a laptop all day and internet is what it's all about. But no cell phone signal meant that from day 2 I didn't touch my phone. I put it somewhere in my backpack and didn't think of it for the whole trip. It felt liberating and we tried to hold on to that feeling back in Maun, only allowing ourself a few internet moments at the beginning and end of the day. At home, regular life took over as expected. But I treasure that feeling.

- the outside air: basically every minute of this camping trip was spent in the outside air (apart from the night at Sango). We slept with the flaps open, so basically there was no inside during our trip. So much oxygen and day/sunlight, my energy levels were really high. I felt fit and never tired, apart from the good tired feeling after a wonderful day.

Would i recommend it? Yes. But I also think you do have to want it as it's also a bit of an effort. I know I will go on a trip like this again and I think I can even enjoy it better now I know what to expect. It also helps if you don't have specific wildlife wishes. We just wanted to be there and see whatever we would see. If you're really keen on some species, it can be hard to find them on your own.

A guided mobile camping trip can be a very good alternative where you probably have the same wildlife experience, but you don't have to do everything yourself. I never really thought of that kind of safaris before, but will keep it in mind for future trips.

The very last photo of this trip: a palm tree. I enjoyed reading @safarigirl.se's Botswana TR a lot and that made me look even more forward to our Bots trip. You started your TR with this one, I'll end it with it as we drove past some of these trees on the last day.

Thank you Botswana!

IMG_2728.JPG.ca2709fc16cdfe51c57fd92e7e73bbde.JPG

wow, this was such an inspiring TR! Thank you for sharing! Botswana is heaven!

😀 I think I have the same bug. I have learned so much from our previous safaris, and now I think (?!) 🤔 I know much better what we are looking for, and it’s something totally different from my first safari 😂 (even though the first time always going to be amazing) 

We have been thinking of doing a self drive but the FOMO and a bit of a fear has pushed it to the future. BUT last week we meet up with a guide in South Africa that does guided self drives 🙌🏻😍 I had never thought about that! We will probably book with him in feb 2020 going to the Kalahari 🐾 fingers crossed for bat-eared fox! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, safarigirl.se said:

wow, this was such an inspiring TR! Thank you for sharing! Botswana is heaven!

😀 I think I have the same bug. I have learned so much from our previous safaris, and now I think (?!) 🤔 I know much better what we are looking for, and it’s something totally different from my first safari 😂 (even though the first time always going to be amazing) 

We have been thinking of doing a self drive but the FOMO and a bit of a fear has pushed it to the future. BUT last week we meet up with a guide in South Africa that does guided self drives 🙌🏻😍 I had never thought about that! We will probably book with him in feb 2020 going to the Kalahari 🐾 fingers crossed for bat-eared fox! 

Thanks @safarigirl.se! It sure was heaven! :) 

I can understand the FOMO, but at the same time: what FOMO? You're right where your heart is, so you won't miss out on anything. Being there is the total experience. We might have seen more wildlife with a guide, but I don't look back on it that way. I bet one day you'll make this kind of trip too!

Hope you manage to go to Kalahari on a guided selfdrive. Already looking forward to your TR with photos and videos!

Amylovescritters

Awesome report!!! Thanks. Definitely want to do self drive and private mobile camping trip. Thinking Namibia for self drive and Zam or Zim (or a combo) for mobile camping w/guide. Keep reading so many TRs with this Doug fellow 😉

Edited by Amylovescritters

51 minutes ago, Amylovescritters said:

Awesome report!!! Thanks. Definitely want to do self drive and private mobile camping trip. Thinking Namibia for self drive and Zam or Zim (or a combo) for mobile camping w/guide. Keep reading so many TRs with this Doug fellow 😉

Thank you! Glad you like it. I found Namibia to be an easy country for selfdrive as well. Good luck planning a trip and I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot!